Thai Citizenship for those married to a Thai

Just now, jackdd said:

This is why i explicitly said "become a naturalized German"

Yes, I'm not German but checked to become one at some point. They would allow me to become naturalized German and keep my dual citizenship. At least it's the wording the lawyer used. 

54 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's not correct.

Before you can become a naturalized German citizen you have to renounce your other citizenship.

But if you requested to renounce your citizenship and the other country doesn't do as you requested (which you have to proof) within 2 years, you will still be granted German citizenship even if you still have your old citizenship.

There is also a process to keep German citizenship if you apply for another citizenship, but it requires that you proof ties with Germany. I suspect if you have German children this might work, without children probably not.

After 10 years living in Germany my wife got the German citizenship without giving up the Thai one. We have no kids.

9 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

After 10 years living in Germany my wife got the German citizenship without giving up the Thai one. We have no kids.

For which reason was she allowed to keep her Thai citizen? Here the reasons to choose from: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stag/__12.html

Thai authorities not processing the request within 2 years is imho the most probable reason.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

For which reason was she allowed to keep her Thai citizen? Here the reasons to choose from: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stag/__12.html

Thai authorities not processing the request within 2 years is imho the most probable reason.

Because she owns land and the official said, that he knows that´s not allowed for foreigners to own land.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Most countries nowadays allow dual citizenship.

My son who lives in the US holds both a Thai and US passport.

The question why any farang would want to jump through flaming hoops to actually get Thai citizenship, well baffles me 

Taxes. 

3 hours ago, Expattaff1308 said:

I'm not sure I would want Thai citizenship but permanent residence for being married to a Thai would be a step in the right direction.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, ok, I have my homeland to fall back on, my wife has dual citizenship and our daughters have dual passports, and I have money.

As hard as it may appear for some to digest, being organised and planning ahead does help, because if Thailand ever said; my extension is cancelled, or will not be renewable or enforce more hoop-la-hoops as someone suggest, (really, hoopla-hoops), bloody easy, wife does it all for me, then I would go to plan B, i.e. so long Thailand, thanks for the time I was here.

"Security" is what you have planned in your life and what you make of it, i.e. making sure the wife and kids have dual passports, and money to survive for decades after you have gone to the afterlife....

I make no comment here about retirees as the post is specifically talking about Thai citizenship for being married to a Thai, so please spare me the grilling those on retirement extensions.

I don't blame Thailand for its immigration laws, hoopla hoops, or whatever, it is what it is, I have my back up plans readily available for any change, but to expect Thailand to make things more secure for us farangs is but a dream similar for some as winning the lottery, time to wake up people, life is what you make of it IMO and the only "security" you can have is the above, i.e. if you worked hard, invested and planned, you therefore control your destiny, especially when someone is pulling at the rug you stand on.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, meand said:

Taxes. 

Depending on your home country, you may fined that you do not need a different citizenship to not pay taxes, i.e. if you reside overseas for more than 183 days in a financial year, you don't have to pay any tax, i.e. unless you own property back in the home country (Australia), plus some withholding tax 10% on money in the bank.

@4MyEgo For those who can get Thai citizenship and retain their current citizenship, I can see a couple advantages. 

You can own 100% of your land, home and business. 

You can do any work. For example I enjoy agriculture as a hobby. I would like to experiment with growing and selling some crop but I can't. 

Thai citizen have access to cheap healthcare (30 baht per visit). 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And for the rest, it is not. 

Reading these posts and comments it looks as if Thailand does not require you to give up your home country nationality but some home countries may require you to. The UK does not, infact to give up UK nationality you have to pay the UK government, and it is quite a bit so why do it?

18 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

@4MyEgo For those who can get Thai citizenship and retain their current citizenship, I can see a couple advantages. 

You can own 100% of your land, home and business. 

You can do any work. For example I enjoy agriculture as a hobby. I would like to experiment with growing and selling some crop but I can't. 

Thai citizen have access to cheap healthcare (30 baht per visit). 

Thanks, but I am retired, my money works for me from any country in the world and I pay no tax on from my investments.

I don't wish to work, enjoying the retired life, immigration is not a problem, as I said my wife compiles everything for me, I just go along and pay the fee of 1,900 baht per year, as for security. well my passport will deliver me to my home country as soon as I book a ticket, but then again, on the other hand if the Thai government wanted to turn around and offer me Thai citizenship without having to learn the language fluently, I might consider it, but not for the above points that you have posted, more so for the hoopla-hoops the wife has to jump through on my behalf ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Most countries nowadays allow dual citizenship.

My son who lives in the US holds both a Thai and US passport.

The question why any farang would want to jump through flaming hoops to actually get Thai citizenship, well baffles me 

Land ownership 

Full rights under law

No more visa hassles, no fear of something changing at any point for the rest of your life. 

Free (poor) healthcare 

Thai price at attractions ????????

And the downsides are.. 

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

In fact, for all the hoops etc for a yearly visa/extension...Thailand's route to Citizenship through marriage is reasonably easy and straight forward, especially compared to some other countries. The main issue of course you have to be working and paying your dues for a minimum three years which older expats won't qualify for.

So effectively no route to citizenship through marriage (alone) !! 

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks, but I am retired, my money works for me from any country in the world and I pay no tax on from my investments.

I'm pretty much in the same situation but I'm not even 40 and don't really understand what this retirement thing is all about.

I enjoy agriculture because it keeps me away from my computer. I would take Thai citizenship because it would give me the freedom to own my land and do wathever I want legally on it. I know many put the land in the name of their wife and work on it but it can backfire. 

If you don't want it. I won't force your hand. ????

Edited by Tayaout

• You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
  • Be a permanent resident.
  • Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.
  • Be well behaved and have a good background (criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behaviour will be checked).
  • Know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understanding.
  • Be able to sing the National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai conducted by government officers.

Can take between 3 - 5 years.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Can take between 3 - 5 years.

There is no requirement to have permanent residency if married to a Thai.

"3.2 Applicants with direct personal ties with Thailand, such as those married to a Thai citizen, those with children who are Thai citizens, or those who graduated from an institute of tertiary education in Thailand should have an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization."

Source: Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization77.51 kB · 206 downloads  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Visa's, get Thai citizenship and say goodbye to visa's. 

That's the reason im getting it.

Simple process, 5000 baht and wait 2 to 3 years.

No idea why anyone wouldn't want  it.

I can keep british citizenship.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

if the Thai government wanted to turn around and offer me Thai citizenship without having to learn the language fluently, I might consider it,

You don't  have to speak fluently these days.  But you must work, which is fair.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

I remember my Grandad telling me I'd be very disappointed if I expected life to be fair. He wasn't wrong.

A corporate lawyer in a company that I worked for used to say “fairness is for children”. She wasn’t wrong either.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Me too, location in Thailand changes nothing, same laws / regulations apply.

I agree but you took my quote out of context by bit including the quite I responded to which said stay at home i.e. Not in Thailand but my home country. Regardless of laws my preference is to live in Thailand. 

Don't you also need to be a permanent resident, before you can apply to be a Thai citizen?

I seem to think that based on everything I've read, the number of farangs who get permanent residency every year I could count on one hand.

So good luck on the citizenship thing