there is a substantional increase in prices in thailand over 10 years

parafareno

I have been coming to Thailand since end of the 70's and have lived here since April 2001.

Prices, Inflation has gone up, no doubt about that but then I will suggest prices, inflation is up in all serious economies.

Inflation is part of my life, I can remember the days when I could buy 16 pints of best bitter for £1, last time I was in UK £3 was the going rate for a pint.

Thailand is more expensive my weekly bills from Rimping Supermarket tell me that. Prices at Thai 'wet' markets have gone up but not by same % in my opinion.

john

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, parafareno said:

seems like the prices nearly doubled in 10 years?

No, 17 percent from consumer price index 88 to consumer price index 103 in 10-years...

image.png.d7a5f94e4285c17173b6682ef8f3e70b.png

However, some prices change different from others – index is a weighted average – so one might feel certain things, or services, are becoming more expensive than the index count.

I often compare to my home country's consumer price index – my home country Denmark is considered an EU financial class monitor – and the same period's price increase is 13.54 percent. So overall compared to EU-level Thailand might be little more expensive, and on top the change in currency exchange rate makes Thailand much more expensive, if the money source is foreign.

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I have been coming to Thailand since end of the 70's and have lived here since April 2001.

Prices, Inflation has gone up, no doubt about that but then I will suggest prices, inflation is up in all serious economies.

Inflation is part of my life, I can remember the days when I could buy 16 pints of best bitter for £1, last time I was in UK £3 was the going rate for a pint.

Thailand is more expensive my weekly bills from Rimping Supermarket tell me that. Prices at Thai 'wet' markets have gone up but not by same % in my opinion.

john

Had my doubts about the cost of beer, but this link suggests you could indeed buy 16 pints for a pound back in 1953. So, if in early 80's, your memory sounds just fine.

https://www.chrishobbs.com/fiftyyears.htm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

How old are you? The Brewer's Almanac for 1921 says that a pint of beer in cost sixpence and you can remember paying sixpence farthing (16 pints for a pound).

Ah good times. I remember 7 oz beers for 15 cents and all you could drink nights for $3.00.  But the car repairs for passing out and crashing was a lot more.  

• Like 1

Just look at the Government Inflation figures and multiply them by at least 3 and even then you are not close to the real inflation rate for foreigners. The official inflation rate is around 1.5% a joke. 2 years ago my coffee jar was 65 baht now it is 150 baht. That is over 100% inflation. Electricity is kept at a stable rate as it impacts on the poor. Nobody knows how the Government calculates the inflation rate or what basket of goods it includes. My guess it is around 7%.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't agree,

It seems to me the price increases are mainly on items/brands white foreigners feel forced to buy.

For people that accept Thailand is a different country, with different products, everything is much the same price as when I arrived in 2009. 60" TV is a fraction of the price it was.

I can still rent rooms at the same serviced apartments in Chiang Mai I first lived in, for the same price I was paying in 2009.

PS. I despise Thailand and everything Thai, so don't accuse me of being a 'defender'.

If I didn't have a Thai son, I'd be living in Cambodia (or France).

I can't speak for Chiang mai because i haven't been there since a decade. But in BKK the prices go up every month...We used to eat at Sizzlers for 500 baht, 2 persons....now it's 750...just a simple meal with water.Deep fried seabass is 400 baht now, when i first came here they were 200 and a lot bigger. And that's without the devaluation of the dollar/euro.

Especially the last 3-6 months prices go up a lot...i don't know about touristic places since we don't go there anymore, we like to fly to real nice countries instead now where i get value for my money.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Some prices go up, other go down and others stay. Everywhere all over the world. Especially during 10 years. 

True. My first laptop cost me 78,000 baht. My next will cost around 10,000.

But the OP does have a point. Every country suffers from inflation, but often in Thailand prices don't rise by 2 or 3 % at a time as they do in other places I know, but 10 or even 20% or more at a time. I suppose that's normal though if something cost five baht and it rises to eight or 10. A small amount to many, but a similar percentage price rise in many countries would result in street riots, and indeed does.

Thailand used to be cheap and now it is 'catching up' with comparatively massive price rises. But I'm told the locals are now much more 'middle class'. I'm also told they are drowning in debt, so who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

I was doing some rough calculations this morning Thailand vs US.

It's about a draw.

Of course when you dig in Thailand still is 20% cheaper and in US you'll end up with better quality of life, better property for same investment, better insurance so even there it's a draw.

For years top dental care has been same as states minus what you'd expect malpractice insurance to cost on per visit basis. Zero savings there.

My largest concern now is shelling out 30k a month for two worthless insurance policies and having mine cancelled at XX years old.

The air pollution in central and northern Thailand here to stay. Government can't get motorcycles off the footpaths. Throughly inept. So if you value your lungs, it's South Thailand. But Phuket seems such a disaster and whod want to live in the center of it? Junk real estate. A real quandary.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1