there is a substantional increase in prices in thailand over 10 years

parafareno

While this is yet another me-too thread. It should be pointed out the recent article on hotel prices Thailand vs middling *EU* countries. We all know as fact tourism and condo sales must be in the toilet. Exports, I'd think especially finished goods are decimated - another recent article on factory closures. All these issues very much circumstantial evidence for prices moving up especially related to international currencies.

Not a day goes by when I'm in the market and notice yet another product is a baht or two more. I've seen prices of Thai snacks rise 50% just from memory. All ingredients with the exception of maybe wheat flour grown or produced in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombra said:

How old are you? The Brewer's Almanac for 1921 says that a pint of beer in cost sixpence and you can remember paying sixpence farthing (16 pints for a pound).

16 pints at one shilling and sixpence equaled one pound sterling. That was in the early 1950s in London. Eight old pence for a bottled Pale Ale. 

3 hours ago, Ombra said:

How old are you? The Brewer's Almanac for 1921 says that a pint of beer in cost sixpence and you can remember paying sixpence farthing (16 pints for a pound).

Bear in mind you have made the big mistake of assuming there were 100 pennies to the pound whereas there were 240. That makes the price (in old money) 1/3 and beer was that price in the mid 50s.

1 minute ago, Dap said:

The cost of living increases everywhere, it's called life. Apart from the odd "exceptions to the rule", when was the last time you saw prices decrease?

Costs as you said always increase, hopefully income increases at the same rate to keep pace with inflation. 

The problem with many retirees here is that they are on a fixed income with inadequate COLAs .

People have always talked about prices in Thailand and how they compare to the west.  My answer is always 

Things in Thailand are cheaper but only by the labor component making locally products and services less expensive. everything else is the same or more. As Thailand develops labore prices increase diminishing the spread between Thai wages and those in the west . add to the mix new immigration regulations and......... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

I remember when a beer was 1 shillin’ a pint, and wake up 1 hour before I went to sleep, worked down t’pit 23 hrs a day, got home to a shoebox and had to lick road clean wit tongue. You try tellin’ that to today’s youth...hic hic

ok boomer.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

People have always talked about prices in Thailand and how they compare to the west.  My answer is always 

Things in Thailand are cheaper but only by the labor component making locally products and services less expensive. everything else is the same or more.

All that matters is my housing costs, food, clothing, transport and utilities are essentially trivial costs.

In Thailand I am buying a new 3 bed detached house for 45,000 pounds.

In the UK I would be hard put to find the same item for 150,000 pounds (probably nearer 200,000 pounds).

My housing costs are fixed, 11,000bht/month in Thailand 275 pounds, in the Uk that would be 1,100 pounds.

Leaving me 700 pounds to spend in Thailand, or -100 pounds I would need to earn in the UK every month.

Inflation doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This week .....

last year I shopped around and bought a 60" TV with 3 year guarantee for 21k.

This year I looked in Powerbuy and they had a 65" tv on sale with 3 year guarantee for 17K

Yes that has been pointed out before. In 2007 42 inch top of the range TV would be over 100,000 baht.

Those type of goods are. just about the only things that have reduced in price in the last few years.

11 years ago diesel was about 14thb/ltr Although I have to admit that doesn’t make too much difference to the average person.

Certainly, Quality Hotel price has increased substantially. OK we used to go away just about every week for a couple of days and now Mrs.J Says do we really need to spend all that money.

The price of a golf caddy has doubled since 2007. as has their tip.

I think that house prices are about the same, well they are if you want to sell your house. That is one of the things we were a little bit fortunate that we bought the house when it was 72thb to the UK pound.

Vegetables and fruit have gone up in price substantially. As someone mentioned so has Coffee but that is due to world market.

It seems you and I are somewhat fortunate that we don’t have too much of a problem dealing with the increases in prices. However it is not the same for everyone.

and there lies a big problem.......

Edited by JAS21
Siri won’t listen sometimes
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All that matters is my housing costs, food, clothing, transport and utilities are essentially trivial costs.

In the UK I would be hard put to find the same item for 150,000 pounds (probably nearer 200,000 pounds).

My housing costs are fixed, 11,000bht/month in Thailand 275 pounds, in the Uk that would be 1,100 pounds.

Leaving me 700 pounds to spend in Thailand, or -100 pounds I would need to earn in the UK every month.

Inflation doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

No disagreement anything depending on Thai labor is less expensive in Thailand.  Labor has been increasing in Thailand and so have prices. this is also true outside thailand thus affecting imported goods.   

• Like 1

The cost of living (it up)  has increased dramatically .... in Thailand and US ( i am not familiar with Europe ).    On the other hand,  getting older and living a simpler lifestyle (no bars, eating at home) has really lowered the amount of baht we spend monthly.   The cost of maintaining a vehicle or home,  tax of 200 baht a year on our house/land,  and extremely low prices at local markets.   Along with that I now have option to buy much better quality chicken, meat and eggs (no hormones, antibiotics)  at very affordable prices.  Avocados 60 baht/kilo.   Good car insurance for under 100 dollars a year.   Not bad,

I do understand the greater exchange disparity with the pound and aussie dollar..... but that is against MOST currencies now,  so not the bahts fault, is it ?

In Mid 60's  I could buy a pint for 1 shilling and 3 pence, 2 for 2 shillings and 6 pence, 4 for 5 Bob. 8 for 10 shillings and as I have said 16 pints for a pound.

I was in my local when in that years Budget the Chancellor put 1/2 penny on a pint, there was almost a riot when it dawned on folk that 16 pints for a pound was over dead and gone.

john

Pint of beer where for you then ? Say ten years back my hometown had a pub which they renamed The Pound for yes a pint was 1 quid, made National Press, most places outside London where 2 quid or more and London well !  Farthings ye gods.

How's Prachuap my fav holiday resort during the burning season.

13 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

As the old saying goes, there are no boring questions, just boring answers. 

Don't agree things aren't as bad in many places in Thailand, if you get some Thai people being greedy where you live, find somewhere else that's what I've done over 15 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

A western type house that costs £200000 in the UK would cost 10M Baht here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Average inflation rate in Thailand was 2 % over the last 15 years. A reasonable price increase would therefore amount to 30 % from 2004 to now. What has become outrageously expensive compared to that is what prostitutes charge, barfines etc. Without providing better service, rather on the contrary (and less time). 500 baht on the beach were normal in 2004, today it is 800 to 1000. Not to speak of gogo bars where I could get a short time for 1000, barfine 500 baht 15 years ago.

havent seen huge increases in prices at all, been paying 100 baht for a haircut now for many years(with a tip), dim sum is still exactly the same price it was years ago, some restaurants have gone up minimally as have some other items(especially those that are imported) but nothing untoward. Maybe a few up market restaurants have upped their prices a bit to make up for low tourist numbers like some hotels but overall I have not seen anything I would rate as big rises

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

I had a 600,000 pound house in the UK, it had more land and a garage, but my Thai house is built of better materials, has less maintenance problems and is in a much better location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not too good at math either but i am certain 230 to 300 is NOT a double or almost a double.

Also 10 years is not exactly 10 days, but 10 years what did you expect was going to happen with at least 3 minimum wage rises in the past 10 years for prices to go down?

In 2010 minimum wage was about 195 baht per day, today its 300.

10 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Location, in both countries makes that statement somewhat suspect.

And are you talking this year or in the past as the exchange rate has varied somewhat over the last few years.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, BritManToo said:

My mortgage repayments have gone down.

Petrol has also gone down.

And cheese ..........

Beer bars, bar girls and restaurants have gone down to ZERO, as I always eat and drink at home now.

You wouldn't believe the amount of money that's saved me.

On the other hand my company pension has increased by 40% in the last 4 years.

yes i know, the one year when i lived too far away from

gogo i could note a 200k baht increase in my bank account

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This week .....

last year I shopped around and bought a 60" TV with 3 year guarantee for 21k.

This year I looked in Powerbuy and they had a 65" tv on sale with 3 year guarantee for 17K

You took the time and effort to shop around and found a sale to accommodate your desire. That would probably come under the heading of "exception to the rule". The cost of living never decreases but there will always be exceptions on individual items if you are willing to expend the time and effort to search.