there is a substantional increase in prices in thailand over 10 years

parafareno

On 11/16/2019 at 7:26 AM, BritManToo said:

Beer bars, bar girls and restaurants have gone down to ZERO, as I always eat and drink at home now.

You wouldn't believe the amount of money that's saved me.

Age, or just more boring life due to financials, i.e. currency exchange rate?????

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had a 600,000 pound house in the UK, it had more land and a garage, but my Thai house is built of better materials, has less maintenance problems and is in a much better location.

Same-same...

I also had a 600,000 pound house in DK – when Danish kroner is converted to £ – which had more land and both garage and carport, and even some more square meters, but my cheaper Thai house is a better build, less maintenance, and even I had a superior location in my home country, I have an outstanding location now.

But the major difference for me is property tax, local community expenses for water and waste disposal, and heating costs. I can live well a whole year in Thailand for just that expenses – would convert to some 400,000 to 500,000 baht – i.e. I probably couldn't afford to live in Denmark as retired...????

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 6:23 AM, ezzra said:

I have found out that the price of fruits has gone up like 100-200% in the last few years due to the fact that China is now buying and pretty much cleaning up a lot of fruits from Thailand the the Chinese market, and not only that, Chinese buyers have bought many fruits growing business so to be able to get them even cheaper...

I buy fruit from our local market......for the past 23 years.  Durian prices have gone up.....but nothing else has increased more than a few baht over the years.  Out of season fruits, sure, they'll be more expensive.  But fruits in season generally as cheap as they've been for a few years.

i am checking prices from pattaya fruit market.....mango was 40 bht per kilo.....now it is probably 100 or more.....this sucks, how can thai people afford this?

what happened to thailand?

can somebody check how much is kilo of mango in pattaya fruit market?

On 11/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, mstevens said:

I really notice it. It's one thing saying a meal has gone up from 230 to 300 baht, but when I am getting about 25% less baht for my dollar, it hurts.

It could be worse .

My personal income decreased by 30 %

My currency decreased by 30 % 

And prices went up by 10 %

10 years ago I could buy 30 large Changs per day

These days its more like I can buy 10 Large Changs a day 

Chang also went down from 6.7 % to 4.9 %

And my brain cells got reduced by 25 % due to too much Big Chang consumption

• Haha 2

i could buy mango for 40 bht in pattaya market like 8 years ago.....now in bkk it costs 120 bht per kilo.....which is crazy....

i am so sick of thai inflation....

i see people just walking in tesco.....loking at things, not buying anything......

old ladies with one small milk drink inside their trolley.....

that is thailand.......people are hungry

4 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i could buy mango for 40 bht in pattaya market like 8 years ago.....now in bkk it costs 120 bht per kilo.....which is crazy....

i am so sick of thai inflation....

i see people just walking in tesco.....loking at things, not buying anything......

old ladies with one small milk drink inside their trolley.....

that is thailand.......people are hungry

Yes this is why Tesco is opening up more stores, more like 750 stores,  because people just walking around and not buying anything????https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30372714

On 11/15/2019 at 11:51 PM, CNXexpat said:

Some prices go up, other go down and others stay. Everywhere all over the world. Especially during 10 years. 

My purchasing power, have rised more than the Thai increas with the stronger bath together, so overall not bad at all, but my valuta value is at the moment half, and prices indeed been rised if you look at it solely. 

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

It could be worse .

My personal income decreased by 30 %

My currency decreased by 30 % 

And prices went up by 10 %

10 years ago I could buy 30 large Changs per day

These days its more like I can buy 10 Large Changs a day 

Chang also went down from 6.7 % to 4.9 %

And my brain cells got reduced by 25 % due to too much Big Chang consumption

seems like you only care about beer, not about food at all

Yes, price inflation has happened but very variable. Train and coach fares do not seem to have changed much, bread has gone up about 20% in 10 years, a bottle of Leo about 25% and some sweets zero. But Pad Thai at a restaurant yesterday was double what it was at the same place 10 years ago - and taking currency exchange rates into account, everything is 75% more expensive even if the price in baht hasn't changed. So, a Pad thai is now 250% more than 10 years ago .... 

On 11/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, jonwilly said:

Thailand is more expensive my weekly bills from Rimping Supermarket tell me that.

LOL. Shop at Rimping what do you expect?

Early 90s a fried rice chicken meal was 20 baht. 3 years ago, I could buy a big box of fried rice with enough for 3 or 4 meals for 50 baht.

Sure, want to buy a house/ condo- price has gone up; want to live in a Thai area, room for 2,000 a month.

If farangs want to live like a westerner better be prepared to pay to do so. Live like a local and it's not expensive at all. Farangs are the authors of their own discontent.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I could buy a big box of fried rice with enough for 3 or 4 meals for 50 baht

For this example, you chose that one item, that everybody can afford to eat in Asia, no matter how much money they have or don't have.

If you consider a meal made of 300-400 grams of rice (especially fried), and 10 grams of chicken, to be a healthy choice, I cannot comment. To be eaten all day long, I may add.

Sure, here in Europe, I can also eat mash potatoes and French fries all day long and nothing else. Very cheap.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

For me, while I have noted some increases - what I haven’t really seen is large across-the-board price increases... to me, it seems to be more hit-or-miss with somethings like haircut, massage, cleaning staff and related labour intensive services being at or just slightly higher than years past,  but other things like some non-Asian food being noticeable more.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:51 PM, Ombra said:

How old are you? The Brewer's Almanac for 1921 says that a pint of beer in cost sixpence and you can remember paying sixpence farthing (16 pints for a pound).

Confusion old pence and new pence. 1921 was old pence, 6d = 2.5p equivalent. 16 pints for a pound is 15d each - i.e. 1/3. I can't quite remember that, but was serving beer at 1/10 (22d = 9.17p) a pint in 1972 in my local. At 300p per pint in 2019, that's average 7.7% pa inflation over those 47 years.