Huge cuts in UK State Pensions

Rambo

The UK's Department for Work and Pensions has confirmed savage cuts in UK State Pension will be effective from 6th April 2020. In a letter dated 14th October 2019 they have confirmed my State Pension will be cut by just over 40 GBP per week, (over 35% cut in my case) with the removal of Adult Dependency. This savage slashing of Pension may well affect my income level requirements for visa extension application as well as  imposing further general  hardship for me and so many already struggling to survive. Amidst all the current Election euphoria and sweeping promises it seems that Pensioners will be the ones paying a huge price. So on top of the scandalous frozen pension comes the swingeing pension cut....soon be nothing left to drain from us. How can this be allowed to happen ? Really surprised the UK media have not picked up the issue and posed some questions to the likes of Johnson and Corbyn....after all many pensioners do vote...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very alarmist topic header which, in practice, will only affect a small proportion of the pensionable population.

My sympathies to those who are affected, including the O/P of course. But the basic state pension which most of draw is unaffected. Some info below.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/my-state-pension-was-slashed-by-815-a-year-why-thousands-could-face-state-pension-cuts/

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is a very alarmist topic header which, in practice, will only affect a small proportion of the pensionable population.

My sympathies to those who are affected, including the O/P of course. But the basic state pension which most of draw is unaffected. Some info below.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/my-state-pension-was-slashed-by-815-a-year-why-thousands-could-face-state-pension-cuts/

Cheers ! short / sweet / simples innit.  

As far as I understand it they are removing the wife allowance payment to pensioners who are married to women from outside the UK...

This payment was stopped in 2010, and we were told it will be totally removed in 2020.  Sadly I got shafted as I retired after 2010..

Folk who now get this allowance wife has a N.I. number, this number relates to the pensioner to get the payment and not to continue any payments to the wife, even after death.

Last year a guy I know popped off, so I helped his Thai wife sort paperwork out and speak to pensions. She thought because she had a N.I. number they would carry on giving her cash. The lady had never been to the UK. Anyhooo, after filling in the forms they sent she got nothing. (As far as I am aware)

Believe it or not, after doing a lot of work the lady doesn't talk to me anymore because she got no pension, she even came to my place to get on the phone to pensions to give her dosh, I told her no, they have already told me no payments, your N.I. number is to do with hubbies pension, not you.....????

1 hour ago, transam said:

As far as I understand it they are removing the wife allowance payment to pensioners who are married to women from outside the UK...

This payment was stopped in 2010, and we were told it will be totally removed in 2020.  Sadly I got shafted as I retired after 2010..

all dependents, not just living abroad

55 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

i lose 70 pounds a week ,my wife has a ni number ,as she lived in the UK for quite a few years . but i fear when i die over here she gets nothing ,luckily she does not have to worry ,but many wives i fear will.

did she pay 10 years NI contributions

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

Could be she has heard of some Thai widow getting a spouse pension from a husbands private pension?

The lady in question does get money from his job pension, I sorted that, but she cannot understand why not from his state pension. She did not understand that she had never paid into the N.I. system, and in any case below the women retirement age of 65.

My pension is going up with CPI, ( i'm on a long holiday in Asia) not sure what the OP is talking about. It must be a benefit that is related to the OAP, but not part of the basic payment. No need to panic old folks , it would be ;political suicide for any of the normal payment to be reduced, rather it will always increase. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Not if you tell 'em you live in Thailand.

I don't live in Thailand, my Non O proves that fact , I'm just on holiday with my wife.   Mind you, its rather long one, but I do return every 3 or 4 months to the UK for a week or 10 days

Archived