BANGKOK
Rambo

Huge cuts in UK State Pensions

12 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are no Senior Citizens returning to the UK to NOTHING unless they left nothing behind. Their properties,  pensions, investments will all be intact. On return They will receive free medical treatment and welfare benefits having completed the minimal paperwork. PS OAP is no longer used.  The term is senior citizen. They are not vunerable.  They live long, are healthy,  wealthy, own properties and are pensioned up.....They are also tougher,  better educated and more disciplined than the Generation X, The millenials, generation pantywaist etc.....Tttttalking bout my generation!

The problem is many left nothing behind, they burned their bridges.

A fellow I knew returned to the UK with a cancer scare. He'd burned his bridges. He was 67.

He was sent to different hostels each day in London which he had to vacate each morning by 9am He was not allowed admittance again till 8pm that evening. He had to walk the streets each day time or sit in libraries, pubs and cafes.

He was offered no 'free' treatment, no housing nor welfare benefits. He was already in receipt of a state pension which he'd paid in for all his working life.

He went to a hospital and they told him to come back in 10 days time. It was in the middle of winter 2017. He despaired and returned to Pattaya. He slipped off the radar about 3 months later and no one in the UK nor Thailand has seen nor heard from him since. We believe he's now passed away.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Pensions are going up by 4% in April, not being cut

No increase for those with Frozen UK State Pensions

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rambo said:

No increase for those with Frozen UK State Pensions

4% for those that aren't frozen. The vast majority.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, roo860 said:

Do you mean an allowance for a dependant is being cut?

The Adult Dependency Allowance which is paid to some as part of UK State Pension is to be cut from 6th June 2020. In my case this means a cut of the figure mentioned.

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Where is your wife/dependent living? You could apply for pension credit if you are elegible. Wasn't this first brought in ten years or so ago with next year the final stage.

We live in Thailand. Pension Credit/Universal Credit only available if living in UK

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Think you should explain what this means "with the removal of Adult Dependency.".

Adult Dependency Allowance which is paid to some as part of UK State Pension is to be removed from 6th April 2010. Consequently it means cut in amount of Pension paid.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You don't mean a general cut right? I assume you mean just the 'adult dependency' allowance?

The Adult Dependency Allowance will cease from 6th April 2020 and this will reduce overall State Pension payment accordingly.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

A very misleading headline, and why bring Corbyn into the mix, what input has he had in this decision?

You also missed out this bit:

When payments stop you may be eligible to apply for Pension Credit or Universal Credit.

Only eligible for Pension Credit/Universal Credit if live in UK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

On the contrary.  UK state pensions have just been increased by about 3% or 40 pounds a year.

But those with Frozen Pensions get no increase....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:
13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

In a previous post you stated you were in the UK. Which is the truth?

What previous post?

images (15).jpeg

Edited by UncleMhee

54 minutes ago, Rambo said:

The Adult Dependency Allowance will cease from 6th April 2020 and this will reduce overall State Pension payment accordingly.

not mine it won 't

14 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

The writer is completely wrong to suggest there has been a cut in UK state pensions. It may be that an additional carers allowance has been cut for him, not the same thing. The post is unwarranted scaremongering.

it's a misleading headline and factually inaccurate, there has been no cut, huge or otherwise, in the basic uk state pension.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yogi100 said:

This pensioner is not sitting in the UK. He's in Thailand.

I have ex pat friends in Pattaya and I'm only too aware of recent events that have affected them. I sympathise with them and would not dream of rubbing their or any one's nose in their misfortune.

Hearing about old age pensioners having to go back to nothing in a country they left years ago makes me angry. It's not something that anyone should get satisfaction from.

The days of anyone over 60 being considered vulnerable in England are rapidly vanishing. Especially if he's an Englishman.

But YOU have posted that you are single and live in the UK....Now come on, make up your mind.....🙄

• Like 1