E-transport boom could see first major European city go car free in 2020

rooster59

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

U charge the portable battery in ur home and or at work. Same as u charge ur phone.

Hmmm. What if work does not allow you to steal their power ( which they pay for ) to charge your battery? Do they pay for your petrol or bus fare?

I think a bike battery a bit larger than a phone one.

Enjoy going to work on a bike in a thunderstorm. 

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmm. What if work does not allow you to steal their power ( which they pay for ) to charge your battery? Do they pay for your petrol or bus fare?

I think a bike battery a bit larger than a phone one.

Enjoy going to work on a bike in a thunderstorm. 

The 2017 Annual Bicycle Report confirms that cycling is still the preferred mode of transport for the inhabitants of Copenhagen. 41 % of all trips to work and study to/from Copenhagen is by bike and 62 % of Copenhageners choose to bike to work and study in Copenhagen.Jul 4, 2017

http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/2017/07/04/copenhagen-city-cyclists-facts-figures-2017/

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The 2017 Annual Bicycle Report confirms that cycling is still the preferred mode of transport for the inhabitants of Copenhagen. 41 % of all trips to work and study to/from Copenhagen is by bike and 62 % of Copenhageners choose to bike to work and study in Copenhagen.Jul 4, 2017

http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/2017/07/04/copenhagen-city-cyclists-facts-figures-2017/

Push bikes or e bikes? The thread is about e transport.

My sister uses an e bike to go to work, except when it rains or she has to do some shopping, or when it's cold. Even if everyone was like her it's not going to be a car free city on rainy days.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Push bikes or e bikes? The thread is about e transport.

My sister uses an e bike to go to work, except when it rains or she has to do some shopping, or when it's cold. Even if everyone was like her it's not going to be a car free city on rainy days.

And what relevance does that have to your comment "Enjoy going to work in a thunderstorm." (Presumably, if anything, since an e-bike will get you to work faster, which would mitigate the discomfort of riding in a thunderstorm)

And Singapore has just banned e-scooters/bikes from pavements. Which is not a bad thing for all the pedestrian population but a bummer for the food delivery guys and parents that use them for the school run !! Can't use them in the road or pavements now, so just bike paths which aren't everywhere at all... 

On a plus note, if anyone wants a cheap 2nd hand scooter, there's loads for sale here now ????????

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

And Singapore has just banned e-scooters/bikes from pavements. Which is not a bad thing for all the pedestrian population but a bummer for the food delivery guys and parents that use them for the school run !! Can't use them in the road or pavements now, so just bike paths which aren't everywhere at all... 

On a plus note, if anyone wants a cheap 2nd hand scooter, there's loads for sale here now ????????

Nice try. Singapore banned e-scooters not e-bikes. The subject of this thread concerns e-bikes.

Hopefully Thailand introduces tax breaks on e-bikes. It would be a good start to cleaning up the air and noise pollution and getting people thinking about the issues.

Obviously most Thais would laugh at the concept to start with, so you'd need a couple of good looking celebrities to endorse it on FaceBook with a cute ad campaign to make it work. Maybe have a big cycling event like they had in Bangkok a while ago to kick off the project.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, evadgib said:

I used one of these as a kid for fishing, ferreting & a Sunday paper round ????

Image result for butchers bike

(They're extremely heavy!)

I used to work for a couple of grocery stores in the late 1950s and one of those was my delivery truck.

You are correct about them being heavy but my leg muscles did get much stronger.

There are some amazing looking delivery bikes here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQ6KrI33rPeBBZHIdQLus4snYg45g:1574143127949&q=delivery+bicycle&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib_92PzPXlAhWJQ48KHWQLBZMQ7Al6BAgHEE8&biw=1229&bih=578

Those of you complaining about the cost of hiring a delivery service for the occasional need, please compare that to the cost of personal car ownership. In Amsterdam for instance a really small car will cost you at least 400 euros a month in ownership, taxes, insurance, etc. Then add the parking fees of Euro 7.50 per hour!!! In the city center. None of my younger friends who live in Amsterdam own a car. They just rent one once in a while when traveling outside the city. 

6 hours ago, Credo said:

If you read the first sentence, it's clear it's talking about the use of private cars.   I very much doubt the fire brigade will arrive on bikes with buckets.   I doubt if someone drops over in the street, an ambulance scooter will take them to the hospital.   

The same with building repairs, road maintenance etc.   I don't think a group of men on motorcycles with shovels will start fixing a broken water main.

The thing is, these big trucks, buses, etc., are the biggest polluters.  Private vehicles, not so much....at least not the newer models. 

I actually think it would be cool to live in a city with no motor vehicles, just everyone biking around.  But it would be inconvenient as heck in many circumstances. 

21 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The thing is, these big trucks, buses, etc., are the biggest polluters.  Private vehicles, not so much....at least not the newer models. 

I actually think it would be cool to live in a city with no motor vehicles, just everyone biking around.  But it would be inconvenient as heck in many circumstances. 

I couldn't find any evidence for that one way or the other. But on a per passenger basis, you think buses pollute more than private cars? Seems very dubious to me.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I couldn't find any evidence for that one way or the other. But on a per passenger basis, you think buses pollute more than private cars? Seems very dubious to me.

I honestly don't know.  Just purely anecdotal, driving around CM and seeing these big trucks....and red trucks, and 3-wheelers, and buses, and older vehicles....just billowing massive amounts of smoke.  Don't see as much from the newer private vehicles.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:29 AM, Tug said:

I don’t know,how do you get your groceries home how do you do home improvement projects ect ect?

We live 24 ks away from town and we only have a motorcycle and one bicycle. We manage very nicely thank you.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

It concerns e-transport..

They banned e-bikes from pavements too but they are allowed on the roads unlike the scooters..

You're right about the subject. My mistake. But your original post was about e-bikes not being allowed on roads.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You're right about the subject. My mistake. But your original post was about e-bikes not being allowed on roads.

No it was about scooters not being allowed on pavements now !! E-bikes are allowed on the roads in Singapore, scooters are not. 

36 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

No it was about scooters not being allowed on pavements now !! E-bikes are allowed on the roads in Singapore, scooters are not. 

"And Singapore has just banned e-scooters/bikes from pavements. Which is not a bad thing for all the pedestrian population but a bummer for the food delivery guys and parents that use them for the school run !! Can't use them in the road or pavements now, so just bike paths which aren't everywhere at all... "

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

I used to work for a couple of grocery stores in the late 1950s and one of those was my delivery truck.

You are correct about them being heavy but my leg muscles did get much stronger.

There are some amazing looking delivery bikes here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQ6KrI33rPeBBZHIdQLus4snYg45g:1574143127949&q=delivery+bicycle&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib_92PzPXlAhWJQ48KHWQLBZMQ7Al6BAgHEE8&biw=1229&bih=578

When we lived in Udon Thani we about a 10 minute walk from Big C, which was where we did most of our shopping. There was an old Thai fella on our Moobam with a pedal tricycle with a basket on the back. We often used to see him pedaling up to the store to do his shopping. 'Good on yer mate' I used to think as we gave him a wave.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When we lived in Udon Thani we about a 10 minute walk from Big C, which was where we did most of our shopping. There was an old Thai fella on our Moobam with a pedal tricycle with a basket on the back. We often used to see him pedaling up to the store to do his shopping. 'Good on yer mate' I used to think as we gave him a wave.

My problem is that I live 65km from BigC, Makro and Tops up in Khampaeng Phet.

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My problem is that I live 65km from BigC, Makro and Tops up in Khampaeng Phet.

Yup, that's a long way on a pedal cycle! We're 24km from Big C but we do most of our shopping at the local weekly markets and we also have mobile green grocery and butcher's vans come round the village daily. So we only need to do a supermarket shop maybe once every 2 weeks or so. We have gone quite 'green' now in our lifestyle with what I'm guessing is a fairly small 'carbon footprint'. That seems to be the buzz phrase nowadays.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yup, that's a long way on a pedal cycle! We're 24km from Big C but we do most of our shopping at the local weekly markets and we also have mobile green grocery and butcher's vans come round the village daily. So we only need to do a supermarket shop maybe once every 2 weeks or so. We have gone quite 'green' now in our lifestyle with what I'm guessing is a fairly small 'carbon footprint'. That seems to be the buzz phrase nowadays.

We are a bit like you and my wife does most of the shopping at the local markets and I go up once a month to do a bulk shop of things like toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, bacon, cheese, washing machine stuff, shower gel, shampoo, jasmine tea, big packs of 3 in 1 coffee, flour for baking bread etc. I go once a month to the private hospital for diabetes checks, good so far, 90 day reports every 3 months.

If I want a particular piece of pork my wife rings the pork lady and it is delivered to the door in a day or two. Good beef I can order through my wife but lamb I have to get from Makro.

We are lucky as we have the local daily market and Monday, Wednesday and Saturday there are bigger markets in the big village 6 km away.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, tebee said:

Change comes very fast and unexpectedly sometimes !

Can't imagine anybody even thinking about this even a couple of years ago.

Agree. Do does anybody want to forecast when for say a 2 km square city chunk of BKK?

Archived