O-A reentry to Thailand without insurance

Consensus of opinion is suggesting NO, you 'should' not. You will be re-entering on a Permit To Stay/Extension that was issued without any insurance obligation and it cannot be imposed. That said, consensus may not suffice. I hope more people can post with some first hand experience. 

• Like 2

According to previous information, you shall be able to re-enter on a Non-OA visa issued before 31st october with no need for insurance. However, you will be asked for it regarding your next extension, or when a new visa might be issued for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deerculler said:

This is become very confused 

I thought the insurance was only for new O-A applications ones own country.

yes.. you are confused.. 

It is for obtaining the visa.. It is for extending the visa. 

The only part which is currently confused is that despite the orders clearly stating people should be only admitted to the kingdom up to the end date of the policy of insurance, airport IOs are apparently giving the full year entry. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

yes.. you are confused.. 

It is for obtaining the visa.. It is for extending the visa. 

The only part which is currently confused is that despite the orders clearly stating people should be only admitted to the kingdom up to the end date of the policy of insurance, airport IOs are apparently giving the full year entry. 

Has anyone on this forum been required to show health insurance at CW for an extension of stay when they initially entered Thailand on an old O-A expired visa?  Speak up if you have as hundreds have been to CW since November 1. 

On 11/16/2019 at 5:36 AM, Matzzon said:

According to previous information, you shall be able to re-enter on a Non-OA visa issued before 31st october with no need for insurance. However, you will be asked for it regarding your next extension, or when a new visa might be issued for you.

Need to distinguish between an extension based on O-A visa requiring a re-entry permit and an O-A visa without extension and not requiring re-entry permit. eg in the case of the latter issued and activated prior to October 31 and currently valid.

Edited by SheungWan

19 hours ago, Searat7 said:

A related question would be can you still get a new re-entry permit at the airport before going back to home country for 5 months ? That will be my situation in February.

No reason to think there will be an issue. Immigration offices are still issuing re-entry permits (we would hear of it if they were not), so the airports will be too. 

I am in the same situation. BKK immigration told me they fixed the problem. They will look at the date you were issued. If date of your OA was issued before 31 OCT you will not be challenged for insurance. BKK airport immigration stated in a conversation with my Thai wife that we can wait for the office police letter to address the issue or we can fly out and fly back in. I would fly back into BKK not any other airport just to be safe. 

I have not tried this yet but will in a few weeks. If anyone has actually experience flying in after 7 NOV with there OA Visa issued before 31 Oct let us know your experience. I was told that if you fly into BKK Nov 1-7 it was bad luck. Good luck is 8 Nov forward if issued OA before 31 Oct

On 11/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, Travelerusa40 said:

I am in the same situation. BKK immigration told me they fixed the problem. They will look at the date you were issued. If date of your OA was issued before 31 OCT you will not be challenged for insurance. BKK airport immigration stated in a conversation with my Thai wife that we can wait for the office police letter to address the issue or we can fly out and fly back in. I would fly back into BKK not any other airport just to be safe. 

I have not tried this yet but will in a few weeks. If anyone has actually experience flying in after 7 NOV with there OA Visa issued before 31 Oct let us know your experience. I was told that if you fly into BKK Nov 1-7 it was bad luck. Good luck is 8 Nov forward if issued OA before 31 Oct

Yes, around the first week of November was when people were getting stamped in for 30 days. It happened for a few days only, maybe started around 3rd through to the 7th.

You don't need to fly out and reenter to get a corrected stamp, airport immigration will amend your stamp and computer entry to one year. This is preferable to getting it done at Chaengwattana who are still using the older computer system, rather than the biometric one at the airport. You can go to the tourist police on 2nd floor who are aware of the problem and they will phone through to get an Arrivals officer to come through and take your passport.