Renewal non immigrant o visa 3rd year

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

After the extension , do they also need to keep an additional 3 months in the banks?

No

But they may need to keep it in the bank until they get the one year extension stamp near the end of the 30 day under consideration period.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

After the extension , do they also need to keep an additional 3 months in the banks?

Under the published rules you can withdraw the lot as soon as you’ve applied for the extension. However, some offices insist it stays in the account during the 30 under consideration period. So if you need to withdraw any funds during that 30 days it’s best to ask your local office first. After that you can empty the account anytime, but must top up again at least 2 months before your next application day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

Under the published rules you can withdraw the lot as soon as you’ve applied for the extension. However, some offices insist it stays in the account during the 30 under consideration period. So if you need to withdraw any funds during that 30 days it’s best to ask your local office first. After that you can empty the account anytime, but must top up again at least 2 months before your next application day.

Wow! This is so much more lenient than the 3 months that retirees have to keep in their bank account.

The OP made no mention of requiring an extension, only about renewing his visa. The answer to that if he renews his via in Savannakhet or HMC then he does not need to show evidence of 400,000. There is also no indication of him having applied for an extension before as he is unaware of how long money should be in the bank.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:07 AM, Krispton said:

As 1st year, require 2 mths. 2nd year, require 3 mths.

He is applying for a third visa. If he had an extension for his second year he would be aware that the money would not need to be 'on show' for three months. Unless he was misinformed about that at the time, a year ago.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The OP made no mention of requiring an extension, only about renewing his visa. The answer to that if he renews his via in Savannakhet or HMC then he does not need to show evidence of 400,000. There is also no indication of him having applied for an extension before as he is unaware of how long money should be in the bank.

He is applying for a third visa. If he had an extension for his second year he would be aware that the money would not need to be 'on show' for three months. Unless he was misinformed about that at the time, a year ago.

Most people refer to an extension of stay (Permit) as a visa - because it is.

The OP is clearly asking about the seasoning required to extend his stay for a third year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, because I've read on here over and over again that an extension is not the same as a visa.

visa
noun
  1. an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

Most people refer to an extension of stay (Permit) as a visa - because it is.

But it isn't...it offers no right to 'visit' or 'admission'. (An Extension in conjunction with a re-Entry permit is closer). Graying the difference between a Visa and an Extension of Stay when talking of Thailand certainly causes confusion!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But it isn't...it offers no right to 'visit' or 'admission'. (An Extension We  in conjunction with a re-Entry permit is closer). Graying the difference between a Visa and an Extension of Stay when talking of Thailand certainly causes confusion!

The comparison is between an Entry Visa and Stay Permit.

You apply to extend your stay and a Permit is issued granting that extension of stay.

Visas, Entry Stamps, Stay Permits and Re-Entry Permits all meet the definition — used by the world outside TVF — of visa.

visa

noun

an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

Thai immigration, lawyers, agents and virtually every expat refers to an “extension of stay” as a visa. And the Re-entry Permit desk at BKK has a big sign above the desk saying “Visa”.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

I used a different dictionary. What one is issued at the Thai Embassy in London is completely different to what one is issued by Immigration in Jomtiem for retirement. To use the same terminology for them is asinine and a cause of confusion. 

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I used a different dictionary. What one is issued at the Thai Embassy in London is completely different to what one is issued by Immigration in Jomtiem for retirement. To use the same terminology for them is asinine and a cause of confusion. 

Correct. One is an Entry Visa the other is a Stay Permit. They are both forms of visa.

1 minute ago, Mr Smithy said:

In my world a 'visa' allows entry to a country. If whatever is in a passport does not allow entry it is not a visa.

So when my wife applied for a visa to Enter/stay in the UK why didn’t she receive something with visa written on it to use to enter the country?

Just now, elviajero said:

So when my wife applied for a visa to Enter/stay in the UK why didn’t she receive something with visa written on it to use to enter the country?

Presumably because the UK like Australia no longer places visas in passports and uses an electronic/IT system linked to a passport to determine if an individual can request entry from an IO

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

So, your argument is that to qualify to be a Visa, it must have Visa written on it, and by default, if it is absent, it is not a Visa? The rather old UK  'Visa' I got for my Thai wife has 'VISA' written across the top in rather large letters.

Visa is not mentioned on my Retirement Extension though!

2 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Presumably because the UK like Australia no longer places visas in passports and uses an electronic/IT system linked to a passport to determine if an individual can request entry from an IO

No. She had a sticker in her passport but it wasn’t called a visa even though she applied and paid for a visa and received a letter telling her that her visa had been approved.

Visas are anything allowing entry, exit or leave to remain in a country and they come in different forms. 

Why do many immigration offices in Thailand have signs saying “Retirement Visa”?

Why does the Re-Entry Permit desk in BKK have a big sign above it saying “Re-Entry Visa”?

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Why do many immigration offices in Thailand have signs saying “Retirement Visa”?

So because Thai domestic Immigration refer to an Extension that way, it must be a visa. Duh! Yet the Extension Stamp specifically does not say visa, but extension. 

Edited by jacko45k

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So, your argument is that to qualify to be a Visa, it must have Visa written on it, and by default, if it is absent, it is not a Visa?

No, that would appear to be your position.

I am saying that anything giving permission to enter or stay in a foreign country is a visa regardless of what it’s called. Thai entry visas and stay permits are both visas.

The rather old UK  'Visa' I got for my Thai wife has 'VISA' written across the top in rather large letters.

Visa is not mentioned on my Retirement Extension though!

You “retirement extension” is a Stay Permit. A permit is a form of visa. In this case the permit confirms your permission to stay has been extended for x time.  

Edited by elviajero

Just now, elviajero said:

I am saying that anything giving permission to enter or stay in a foreign country is a visa regardless of what it’s called.

So a 'Visa Exempt' is a Visa, an empty passport, is a Visa, a driving licence, is a Visa,  555555

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So because Thai domestic Immigration refer to an Extension that way, it must be a visa. Duh! Yet the Extension Stamp specifically does not say visa, but extension. 

The extension stamp is a PERMIT.

Not just Thai immigration. Every law firm advertising on the Internet, every agent and virtually every expat using them.

If you were stopped in the street, would the police ask to see your passport/visa or your extension of stay?

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

The extension stamp is a PERMIT.

Not just Thai immigration. Every law firm advertising on the Internet, every agent and virtually every expat using them.

If you were stopped in the street, would the police ask to see your passport/visa or your extension of stay?

Likely just my passport, what has that got to do with it? They would probably ask me for money too, is that a form of Visa? 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So a 'Visa Exempt' is a Visa, an empty passport, is a Visa, a driving licence, is a Visa,  555555

The entry stamp issued by an IO on entry is a form of visa.

The other two are not visas.