Embassy Explanation for Ceasing Immigration letters

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

It doesn't really matter what the letters say. The arrangement immigration have with the embassies is that they "verify" the income. The only way to truly verify the income is to get confirmation direct from the source of the income.

So, does Canada and New Zealand, then, actually verify the income? Or just continue to say they do? Are they able to access private and public pensions in the home country and "verify" the income for their letters? Do they have similar privacy laws to the US and UK? If so, how do they get around them to "verify?" Or did just the US, UK, and Australian embassies have their feet held to the fire?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zydeco said:

So, does Canada and New Zealand, then, actually verify the income? Or just continue to say they do? Are they able to access private and public pensions in the home country and "verify" the income for their letters? Do they have similar privacy laws to the US and UK? If so, how do they get around them to "verify?" Or did just the US, UK, and Australian embassies have their feet held to the fire?

Or did just the US, UK, and Australian embassies have their feet held to the fire?

This is the correct answer......

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Then, it would have been Thailand escalating a diplomatic conflict with the US, the UK, and Australia. And Thailand could have expected repercussions that would have hurt Thailand far greater than Thailand could have hurt the Big Three. But instead the Big Three threw their own citizens under the bus and continued to have champagne toasts and eat cucumber sandwiches with the generals. And what have they got out of it? Zilch. As Thailand moves ever more securely into the status of a Chinese satrapy.

Rubbish.  There is no such thing as "income letter". 

Just one example, au provided certification of Sat Dec. All that was is to verify your statement. I attended au embassy on unrelated matter and asked senior au employee about this. Her reply..." We never should have been providing stat dec. They have zero authority outside of Australia.

BTW, how can any embassy VERIFY statement re income. The many other embassies are a fraud 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mikebell said:

also ask why we cannot share HMRC’s pension databases. Unfortunately the UK’s Data Protection laws prohibit organisations, including Government departments, from providing personal information to third parties about customer details.

I am American and don't know about the UK but I am willing to bet the same as below applies to the UK.

The same claim has being made about the US refusal to share income information from their databases.

Though the US routinely shares such information with financial institutions, such as mortgage providers.

They simply require that this third party entities are certified to receive such information.  Furthermore the petitioner can sign a permission for such information to be shared, nullifying privacy concerns.  In fact the application for an income certification is IMO a De Facto permission for release.   

I suggest the OP researches to see if the above applies to the UK, and if it does confront the embassy with it. 

I personally don't need  a certification letter, I am in the process of activating dual nationality (for reasons unrelated to the certification)  with a country that provides an income certification letter, and if such time arrives where I need the  income certification letter I will exercise that option. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

They care only about their little diplomatic world of privilege and associated people. They don't want to deal with the likes of me.

Saying that, in this particular case, I would have done the same thing in their shoes. The Thais wanted a credible document and it is too hard to provide it for everyone. Its the Thais at fault - and we are all now living through the tightening of their system because it was made too easy for undesirables. Lets be honest Thailand is full of dodgy foreigners whether they be Brit ex crims, Amercian con artists, Pakistani forgers, Indian mafia, Iranian scammers, Australian hells angels, etc, etc and the changes to the Thai system made by Imm don't really bother the undesirables because they are used to getting around these things.

A tax return form accepted by the IR, regarding an income on which tax has been paid should be sufficient. The the British Embassy staff are the worst in the world.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Rubbish.  There is no such thing as "income letter". 

Just one example, au provided certification of Sat Dec. All that was is to verify your statement. I attended au embassy on unrelated matter and asked senior au employee about this. Her reply..." We never should have been providing stat dec. They have zero authority outside of Australia.

BTW, how can any embassy VERIFY statement re income. The many other embassies are a fraud 

I take it, then, that Australia no longer issues the income letter anywhere else in the world either? The US does.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please post what an "income letter" looks like.

I'm sure he's using "income letter" as a general term to describe an Income Affidavit from the US embassy or a Statutory Declaration from the AUS embassy or whatever was being used by the UK embassy. He's welcome to use income letter as a general term if he wishes...

Edited by BertM

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please post what an "income letter" looks like.

Google "Australian Statutory Declaration" to see the blank form.. When they did them, you just wrote "my name is fred smith I make 1 million baht a year" You signed it and the consulate stamped it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Google "Australian Statutory Declaration" to see the blank form.. When they did them, you just wrote "my name is fred smith I make 1 million baht a year" You signed it and the consulate stamped it.

Great post... But, I think the person you replied to was just being pedantic about someone using the term "income letter" instead of using the actual term "Statutory Declaration". I don't believe he was really asking to see what an income letter looks like...

3 minutes ago, BertM said:

Great post... But, I think the person you replied to was just being pedantic about someone using the term "income letter" instead of using the actual term "Statutory Declaration". I don't believe he was really asking to see what an income letter looks like...

I was not being pedantic. I was stating that it was a stat dec not an income letter. I am only relating what an official stated to me at au embassy. If she is wrong so be it. Her explanation... " stat dec is only for use WITHIN au" 

IF that's the case then cannot be provided for Thai imm purposes. She went on to say that the au embassy should never have been providing them. 

I'm only relating what I was told. BTW I had the impression she had been in job for some years and in fact had a trainee with her.

Aside from that I do not believe that embassies are equipped or qualified to check and verify incomes. 

• Like 1

I, like any other UK tax payer living in Thailand, can download a statement of my monthly income and tax from the HMRC web site. Why can't the British consulate accept that as proof of my earnings? Or is that too simple?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I was not being pedantic. I was stating that it was a stat dec not an income letter. I am only relating what an official stated to me at au embassy. If she is wrong so be it. Her explanation... " stat dec is only for use WITHIN au" 

IF that's the case then cannot be provided for Thai imm purposes. She went on to say that the au embassy should never have been providing them. 

I'm only relating what I was told. BTW I had the impression she had been in job for some years and in fact had a trainee with her.

Aside from that I do not believe that embassies are equipped or qualified to check and verify incomes. 

You are simply trying to distract. Please, stop it. The title of the topic addresses "income letters. The reply from the British embassy specifically stated "income letters." When discussing the actions related to all three embassies, I maintained the use of "income letters," although I used to receive an "affidavit" from the US embassy. Using the term "income letters" is apparently easy for everyone in this topic to understand, except for you.

• Like 1

Just now, Surasak said:

I, like any other UK tax payer living in Thailand, can download a statement of my monthly income and tax from the HMRC web site. Why can't the British consulate accept that as proof of my earnings? Or is that too simple?

They always did accept that. Why they won't do it now? Go figure.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

At the original meeting of embassy staff and immigration, where it was announced that verification would be required, I believe that it was primarily aimed at the US Embassy and possibly the Australian Embassy who didn't carry out any real verification. The British Embassy was never their target.

As the British Embassy was downsizing in both accomodation and staff, it's my firm belief that the British Embassy used the Thai Immigration announcement as an excuse to cease the letters. This is born out by the fact that a number of other embassies, who use the same verification process as the British Embassy did, continue to produce their letters to this day with zero comebacks from Thai Immigration.

Exactly. Though I think that what appears to be a dislike by the Thai authorities for english speaking nationals may have had something to do with it. After all, there does appear to be other embassies still relying on stat decs. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

You are simply trying to distract. Please, stop it. The title of the topic addresses "income letters. The reply from the British embassy specifically stated "income letters." When discussing the actions related to all three embassies, I maintained the use of "income letters," although I used to receive an "affidavit" from the US embassy. Using the term "income letters" is apparently easy for everyone in this topic to understand, except for you.

So USA provides "affidavit".

AU used to provide " stat dec". That's 2 out of 3.

I'm still interested to see what an "income letter" looks like. Previous poster stating that UK provided income letter. Point is none verify the income. Main reason is they cannot.

Again as I pointed out the embassy staffer told me that au stat decs cannot be used outside of au. Pretty good reason to stop providing them for use with Thai imm.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So USA provides "affidavit".

AU used to provide " stat dec". That's 2 out of 3.

I'm still interested to see what an "income letter" looks like. Previous poster stating that UK provided income letter. Point is none verify the income. Main reason is they cannot.

Again as I pointed out the embassy staffer told me that au stat decs cannot be used outside of au. Pretty good reason to stop providing them for use with Thai imm.

British Embassy income letters were verified. US affidavits and Aus stat decs weren't.

• Like 1