BANGKOK
mikebell

Embassy Explanation for Ceasing Immigration letters

On 11/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, zydeco said:

Was it? Why? The UK, as well as the US and Australia, could have simply continued issuing the letters and leave it up to Thai Immigration to accept them or not. What were the "Thai authorities" going to do? Launch an invasion of the embassies? Are the Canadian and New Zealand embassies continuing to issue letters that are accepted by Thai Immigration? If so, are they substantially different from those issued by the US, UK, and Australia? Do they not have privacy laws, too? 

Mmm. What shall we do boys keep accepting these letters or stop accepting them from everybody.🙄 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What do the embassies check? How do they confirm it? Verify it?.

Oh I forgot, they have a stamp.

The Canadian Embassy always and still requires bank statements for the last 3 months showing various pension incomes being deposited into your account. Where the trouble arose is that the American  Embassy only required its citizens swear without showing proof.

3 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

Surely, an equally verifiable way would be to use original statements from a UK bank, showing all income into one's account?    This is what I used to do and would seem quite legitimate for an Embassy to verify this without going back to every single pension provider.   

Rather than just issue a blank decree, saying they will not confirm anybody's request, surely, they could have refused requests which they were 'unsure' of, whilst still endorsing the reputable one's.   

Why was such a 'broad brush' blanket approach needed.    A bit of commercial, logical sense should have been used and still could, if they REALLY wanted to help their nationals.

I agree; however, their nationals only have to transfer the funds each month to Thailand to satisfy the financial requirements.

Those with a genuine income exceeding the minimums presumably transfer funds to Thailand. I appreciate doing it every month can be a pain, but it’s not a deal breaker for most.

IMO all applicants using income should have to actually send the required income to Thailand in the same way that someone using the bank deposit method has to actually deposit 400/800K in a bank in Thailand.

It’s crazy that applicant A can claim in a letter they have x income that never has to reach Thailand; whereas, applicant B has to prove they’ve actually got the cash in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

I would think the fault lies with the people who abused the system. The result of that abuse is the tighting of the requirements for proof of income and requirements for deposits of lump sums. But I guess it is easier to fault the Thais as opposed to putting the blame where it really belongs.

So, it was ONLY UK, US & Aus nationals who abused the system?    They are the only embassies who have stopped verifying income.

• Like 1

Maybe they are the only nationalities with integrity :coffee1:

I'm going to burn in hell for that one 555

• Haha 1

The embassy should be able to confirm your income as paid by the government, if nothing else, and that would be enough for most expats, including those doing a combination SS and retirement income.

6 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

The embassy should be able to confirm your income as paid by the government, if nothing else, and that would be enough for most expats, including those doing a combination SS and retirement income.

From which countries? Certainly not for Australians who would be on around 35,000 Bht per month on a full pension (single) at todays exchange rate.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, sqwakvfr said:

How about this;  I waive my rights under the Data Privacy Act in order for the British Embasay in Bangkok to confirm my income?

How about this...you can't.

21 hours ago, Mr Smithy said:

It is interesting that only four embassies refuse to certify income. The others continue to provide letters.

What's more interesting is that they didn't refuse to certify income, the issue was that they cannot certify all income, that's their point! 

Maybe the other embassies can certify income or they're prepared to lie and claim that they can.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, sniggie said:

Exactly. Though I think that what appears to be a dislike by the Thai authorities for english speaking nationals may have had something to do with it. After all, there does appear to be other embassies still relying on stat decs. 

Written in what language?

(🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿)

data protection laws are not the same throughout Europe although there is a minimum EU requirement.   I fail to see why the embassy or consulate cannot provide a letter certifying that a persons p60 or P60's is genuine and should be taken as proof of income. This wiill get around the Data Protection requirement, It is not true that government departments cannot access other departments when they have permission from the individual, Inland revenue do this anyway and  it should not be hard for the revenue to send proof to the embassy on request so that they can verify. a fee may have to be charged but it is a simple admin change.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr Smithy said:

Mmm -- My income comes from two, legitimate easily verified UK government sources - The DWP and the NHS pension scheme. 

Mmmm, you missed the part where it was clearly explained that data protection laws prevent the sharing of that "verifiable" information!