BANGKOK
mikebell

Embassy Explanation for Ceasing Immigration letters

4 hours ago, zydeco said:
17 hours ago, evadgib said:

'The Embassy aint doing Nuffink' rolls off the keyboard a little too easily whenever expectation exceeds reality.

I see. It's all highly "hush-hush." Actions being taken to improve our lot that we are not in a position to understand or we are too dense to understand. Alright, then, can someone please name something that our embassies have done over the past five to ten years to make our lives easier, either with Thai Immigration or dealing with the embassies themselves? 

"Alright, then, can someone please name something that our embassies have done over the past five to ten years to make our lives easier..."

It is not the Embassy's, or the Government's job, to "make expats lives easier"!  Geez...

On 11/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, zydeco said:

Was it? Why? The UK, as well as the US and Australia, could have simply continued issuing the letters and leave it up to Thai Immigration to accept them or not. What were the "Thai authorities" going to do? Launch an invasion of the embassies? Are the Canadian and New Zealand embassies continuing to issue letters that are accepted by Thai Immigration? If so, are they substantially different from those issued by the US, UK, and Australia? Do they not have privacy laws, too? 

I am at a loss to understand your thinking. The UK Government, through their Embassy cannot guarantee that your "declared" pension income and sources are actually correct because they do not have the information to do that, yet you think they should anyway..like for the fun of it I guess, or because it is easy to do so,....or because it helps people who maybe have no right to be here to stay regardless, illegally. ALL because we are British and "they" are their Embassy. Your reasoning is that the Thais couldn't do anything really once they had this letter, and so the Embassy should jolly well keep on issuing them for that reason alone, even though they may be completely fraudulent in content. That way the Brits are all OK, life carries on as normal and ignores that fact that a reasonable percentage do not have the minimum level of income required by Thailand if you are to live here.

I kind of get a feeling for your view on life. You know, like a Russian justifying stealing a watch from a display stand because "no-one was manning the stand, and so possession of the watch belongs to the person in physical possession of the watch". No wonder the world is going to the dogs!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Contrary to what some people on this thread claim, I have never heard of anyone providing false income documents to the British Embassy. Zero evidence that this ever took place.

Well, zero evidence only to you!

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It is not the Embassy's, or the Government's job, to "make expats lives easier"!  Geez...

It's not their job to make life harder either, which is what they did by cancelling the letters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I don't believe I said each person needs to travel to the Embassy

'Stat Dec's' have to be signed in the presence of the person doing the authenticating. Resorting to mail was a nice little earner for as long as it lasted but came unstuck when the host nation tried to strong-arm Embassies into acting as guarantors. Data protection regs in the real world rendered them unable to comply which in turn lead to the current fiasco.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:
6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's not their job to make life harder either, which is what they did by cancelling the letters.

You need to address that to the IB, not the Embassy, the Embassy's intention wasn't to make life harder!

2 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

I am at a loss to understand your thinking. The UK Government, through their Embassy cannot guarantee that your "declared" pension income and sources are actually correct because they do not have the information to do that, yet you think they should anyway..like for the fun of it I guess, or because it is easy to do so,....or because it helps people who maybe have no right to be here to stay regardless, illegally. ALL because we are British and "they" are their Embassy. Your reasoning is that the Thais couldn't do anything really once they had this letter, and so the Embassy should jolly well keep on issuing them for that reason alone, even though they may be completely fraudulent in content. That way the Brits are all OK, life carries on as normal and ignores that fact that a reasonable percentage do not have the minimum level of income required by Thailand if you are to live here.

I kind of get a feeling for your view on life. You know, like a Russian justifying stealing a watch from a display stand because "no-one was manning the stand, and so possession of the watch belongs to the person in physical possession of the watch". No wonder the world is going to the dogs!

Verbiage.

My P60’s, backed up by corresponding bank statement evidence, was about as kosher as you can get.

Whilst the Embassy didn’t exactly go in hard on due diligence, I would guess that 90% of what crossed their desks was genuine.

If the IO’s had half a brain they would know how to evidence monthly income without the need for any embassy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

'Stat Dec's' have to be signed in the presence of the person doing the authenticating. Resorting to mail was a nice little earner for as long as it lasted but came unstuck when the host nation tried to strong-arm Embassies into acting as guarantors. Data protection regs in the real world rendered them unable to comply which in turn lead to the current fiasco.

So what do the 80 other embassys do to issue their letters. Bearing in mind that countries such as Germany have virtually the same data protection laws as the UK.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well, zero evidence only to you!

So you do have evidence. Care to share? Or is it your usual perpetration of urban myths that you have read on TV?

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You need to address that to the IB, not the Embassy, the Embassy's intention wasn't to make life harder!

IB?

On 11/16/2019 at 5:07 AM, mikebell said:

Unfortunately the UK’s Data Protection laws prohibit organisations, including Government departments, from providing personal information to third parties about customer details.

This might be a major problem...🤔

I'm no fan of the embassy here in Bangkok. Too many people doing very little. However, on this question, I understand their case. The author of the letter has written a polite and thorough explanation of the issues involved. 

On November 16, 2019 at 12:49 PM, zydeco said:

s the US and Australia, could have simply continued issuing the letters and leave it up to Thai Immigration to accept them or not.

Yes. The US embassy's income affidavit made it clear that the amounts claimed were as stated and sworn to by the applicant and the embassy was not responsible for their accuracy.

If Thai immigrations found that unacceptable, that should have been their call. Many of us using that method had backup proof to support the amounts claimed, although the variety of documents and languages providing that proof might have overwhelmed immigrations officers, that too could have been left to officers to accept or reject.

• Thanks 2