How many British expats applied for a proof of income letter in 2018?

How many British expats applied for a proof of income letter in 2018?  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The answer is 3,138. Below is an nxtract from a Freedom of Information request submitted earlier this year, also giving the numbers for 2016 and 2017:

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 REQUEST REF: xxxx-xx

Thank you for your email of 28 July 2019 asking for information under the Freedom of 
Information Act (FOIA) 2000. You asked: 
I would like to know the number of Income Affadavits (Proof of Income Letters) issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand each year for the last five years please.

I am writing to confirm that we have now completed the search for the information which you requested.

I can confirm that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) does hold information relevant to your request.

The following figures are for the total number of consular fee 2i (preparing a certificate in 
English) issued from 2016 to 2019. We do not hold the information requested prior to 2016.

The vast majority of consular fee 2i are related to the proof of income letter but this consular fee group does include a small number of other certificates. We can not break down the number further because checking through each certificate individually would take us above the cost threshold.

2016: 2211
2017: 2679
2018: 3138
2019: 0

Because I am not british, I voteed that I do not care. However, It might be interesting to know if I can be in the ballpark. I would say, based on how many british expats that live in Thailand, it would be in the range between 15001-20000.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

At 50 quid a go, that would be a tidy income of 325,000 Great British Pounds.

Yes, but less the cost of the staff and administrative costs required to carry out the verification.

And just imagine the hassle having to chase up slow replies and the grief from the expats waiting weeks/months for their letters!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The only number I know for sure is ONE, me!

and me! I applied in December 2018 just before the closure deadline. My application was swiftly and efficiently processed and I was able to retain it until required by Thai Immigration in March 2019. The confirmation letter had a "shelf life" of 6 months. with Immigration. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jesimps said:

"Too many people were outright lying on their income claims and the Embassies were unwilling to sign off on a legal document they were unable to verify."

Grateful for some verifiable examples, or are you just making it up as you go along? I think too many people are tending to make this statement just to make Thai immigration look blameless for some reason. Rose-colopured specs maybe?

Do you want to see MY application from last year !   LOL

• Like 2

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats exactly why some Embassies stopped with the Verification on Income letter.

It was impossible for them to be able to accurately verify the income of all requests without a larger team, significant leg work and cost. 

Too many people were outright lying on their income claims and the Embassies were unwilling to sign off on a legal document they were unable to verify. 

Of course, people blamed the Embassies for their change of policy, however, really its the immigration requirement which is awkward for some to meet and when they can't they unfairly complain at their Embassy for not being willing to verify / notaries their spurious income claim. 

Basically, some folk are upset they can't use their Embassy to lie for them. 

" Embassies were unwilling to sign off on a legal document they were unable to verify"

So the Embassies lied to the Thai Government about their citizens income for 40 years right?

The Immigration Act, 1979 - Thai visas, residency and work permits ...

Jan 24, 2004 - For the benefits of all who are interested. Hope it clears up some doubts. And ... it will stir up more doubts, no doubts ...

If the British Embassy were able to issue income letters for circa 40 years, having verified the submissions or not, what was the reason for the change of heart NOW? Speculation and reasons put forward so far do not really hold water.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats exactly why some Embassies stopped with the Verification on Income letter.

It was impossible for them to be able to accurately verify the income of all requests without a larger team, significant leg work and cost. 

Too many people were outright lying on their income claims and the Embassies were unwilling to sign off on a legal document they were unable to verify. 

Of course, people blamed the Embassies for their change of policy, however, really its the immigration requirement which is awkward for some to meet and when they can't they unfairly complain at their Embassy for not being willing to verify / notaries their spurious income claim. 

I contacted the British Embassy and asked if I got my legitimate pension letters notarized under oath that they were correct, it took away their responsibility and they were then covered.

Just got the standard response 'we are canceling these from blah, blah, blah'. They did not even consider a proper, alternative, legal way of helping their Taxpaying countrymen out.!!! Typical!!

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, elviajero said:

I seem to recall the Embassy quoted as saying it was about 25/day. That puts it at around 6.5K/year.

Actually verifying the income for 25 people everyday from the many different income sources would be an administrative nightmare and often impractical. That being the reason it’s been stopped.

Would it really be so difficult to look at the bottom line of a pension statement and verify the number matches what you put in the letter??

• Like 2

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That really depends on what constitutes 'verification '. I had to send in 3 months bank statements which clearly documented my monthly rental income and pension payments. Yes you say they could be forged ,but no more than any document could and most organisations accept bank statements as proof. So do you think all the other embassies still providing letters are doing much more than that?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes, but less the cost of the staff and administrative costs required to carry out the verification.

And just imagine the hassle having to chase up slow replies and the grief from the expats waiting weeks/months for their letters!

Replies from whom? Staff checked the documents and processed the letters. Didn't communicate with anyone.

6 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Too many low life Brits trying to con the embassy and causing a lot of trouble. Sadly the straight guys now paying the price.

Any evidence of this? All the "low life Brits" I know have always paid an agent 15k baht to get their visa extensions and still do. Cessation of letters didn't affect them. Only affected the "good guys".

• Like 2

On November 16, 2019 at 3:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And yet for many years that's exactly what they and the US and Australian embassies did. One wonders what coincidental concern for integrity made them simultaneously change policy while most embassies did not feel compelled to follow suit.

As to the number who made fraudulent claims, that resulted in collective punishment. We suspect some of you are lying, so we're going to punish you all. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I voted I don't care but really I'm dying to know how many British expats caught out and prolly homeward bound. Or illegal agent route because they never had the dosh in the first place.

Not nearly the backlash from the Americans. Practically nill.

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Suffering Nora!

A gratuitous Thaivisa exercise in dragging out that hackneyed old subject and the same old opinions ad infinitum.  Why? Oh, yes...that's why. 

How long do we have to be subjected to it?  It's over, drop it!

Well you've made enough replies to the thread, including perpetuating urban myths that were debunked long ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Would it really be so difficult to look at the bottom line of a pension statement and verify the number matches what you put in the letter??

No it wouldn't. The issue appears to be that it doesn't satisfy the embassy that they have verified the income which would involve a lot more work.

• Like 2