Ex-pat issues in China - sound familiar?

SteveK

Hi guys,

Just watched this very interesting video by an ex-pat who lived in China for many years before leaving to go and live in the USA because of worsening hassles. A lot of things that he says sound just like the issues many are perceiving in Thailand, take a look. It's scary to think that China could be influencing Thailand in some way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SteveK said:

A lot of things that he says sound just like the issues many are perceiving in Thailand, take a look.

On the other hand, he still has a good looking woman in his bed every night, which he probably wouldn't have managed in his home country. We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women, really no point in denying it, nothing else really matters.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, he still has a good looking woman in his bed every night, which he probably wouldn't have managed in his home country. We're all here for the cheap and available slim and attractive women, really no point in denying it, nothing else really matters.

Did you watch the vid? This is  not some crusty old beer bellied wife beater wearing expat. I doubt he would have any trouble getting attractive women back home

16 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I've been following his channel for a while. The situation looks worse in China compared to Thailand. 

What I am concerned about is that the Thai government is getting their ideas (or orders) from the Chinese, particularly the anti-Western sentiment he alludes to.

22 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I've been following his channel for a while. The situation looks worse in China compared to Thailand.

From what I have seen, it is much worse in China.

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What I am concerned about is that the Thai government is getting their ideas (or orders) from the Chinese, particularly the anti-Western sentiment he alludes to.

In China, it is absolute war with the west, specifically the US. In Thailand, I think it is more about the Thai government wanting to assert it's independence. I do not believe they have the same sentiments as China.

In China for a long time, you have only been able to check in to 'foreigner approved' hotels which are more expensive.

You also have to register your visa with the police within 24h of arrival in a new place, (IIRC 72h in rural areas), usually the hotels do this for you, but it's a major hassle if you are staying with a friend or in an AirBnB...

The guy who made the video is a successful businessman from South Africa who wanted to escape the violence and moved to China, and did quite well for himself by all regards. He doesn't wear Chang beer vests and doesn't mess around with prostitutes. If you watch some of his older videos you will see that he fell in love with the people, the country and the culture, which all soured in the last few years due to all the changes in the way Westerners are treated in the country. His wife is a doctor, by the way.

... go right back, and hear why he wears suit and tie all the time? 

-  also got my first lesson on how to beware of Gutter Oil

- heard of how China personally kept the thumb on 'him' regarding VPNs 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just curious, if by some quirk of fate through age or other factors you lost the ability to have sex, how on earth would you cope ?

You have to admit there is a heck of a lot more to a relationship than sex, yet yours seems to be only about sex and "nothing else really matters" ?  so what would you do then ?

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just curious, if by some quirk of fate through age or other factors you lost the ability to have sex, how on earth would you cope ?

You have to admit there is a heck of a lot more to a relationship than sex, yet yours seems to be only about sex and "nothing else really matters" ?  so what would you do then ?

Great comment. If you follow this guy then you will see that sex is not on his agenda. He is successful and wants to enjoy his life in China - he is fluent in Mandarin.

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I am beginning to think it might be all in his mind,like people who go on about

how rich they are,when really they are skint.

regards worgeordie

China has obviously now become very anti-West. I think my main concern in my original post is that this is filtering down to Thailand somehow, which is why this anti-farang sentiment is coming about, and that they are placing all their eggs in the baskets of the Indians and Chinese. There is a lot to take in here, but I would bet my left nut that the changes in immigration policy in Thailand are coming from the Chinese. Think higher up in government. It doesn't take a genius.

ok, I'll bite, lets say China is the puppeteer of Thai immigration policies.  Now that you know this 'fact' what are you proposing you do with it? Another petition?  maybe action in the streets? I can see it now in the news headline 'expat revolt leads to overturn of immigration policy'. I mean, what's the freakin point of even whining about all this? lol 

10 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

ok, I'll bite, lets say China is the puppeteer of Thai immigration policies.  Now that you know this 'fact' what are you proposing you do with it? Another petition?  maybe action in the streets? I can see it now in the news headline 'expat revolt leads to overturn of immigration policy'. I mean, what's the freakin point of even whining about all this? lol 

I would suggest not creating a petition or demonstration as China doesn't have the greatest history in those regards. Best to go somewhere else. Life is for enjoying, not being oppressed. "what's the freakin point of even whining about all this" - maybe that's what the Polish Jews said as they were forced into the gas chambers. Learn to stick up for yourself.

56 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Maybe I should have phrased it "We all CAME here .........."

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

In the above video near the end (I watched the whole thing) there is a Q&A where someone asks what is the best Asian country to retire in, most amenable to allowing foreigners to stay, he actually says Thailand!

Just now, marf said:

In the above video near the end (I watched the whole thing) there is a Q&A where someone asks what is the best Asian country to retire in, most amenable to allowing foreigners to stay, he actually says Thailand!

Your not allowed to say that here. The pathetic bashers will come after you ????

Having watched the  videos at the start of this  topic I  can understand  the similarities that  many can/have drawn to ongoing  issues regarding expat existence in Thailand.

However I also believe that  with  some reasonable retrospective consideration of  a wider view of nationalistic xenophobic and  racist restrictions  being applied almost  globally based on  various stated criteria  that  there is little difference overall where it  it  involves the difficulty  for individuals  even for  assumed   "right  to travel" either locally or internationally.

At times I am amused with  the  general "western" perception that perpetuates about the status of  Asian countries in that they are generally  considered  "3rd world". 

At best many, if not  most, would still consider China  to be  a "developing"  country. And  yes  it is . Continuously . The USA is  stagnating by  comparison and  has been so for decades in terms of productive infrastructural upgrade.

And so have  most  of the  western"  European nations that  have succumbed to the ideals of  "preservation" of  assumed perpetual superiority.

How  many ways has it and can it be  said?  The  wheel turns. Every dog  has it's  day. etc etc.

History I will never live long enough  ( I hope) will demonstrate that the base  instinct  to survive  that is strongest in the least advantaged will either be  perpetuated or eventually  wiped  by the inevitable advent  of  AI.

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The parallels in this video are really scary ! The guy sums things up very well.

China is interested in "Farangs" as part of Western-Companies establishing roots in China. Except of "industrial-espionage", the cheapest way to gain access to "western-technology".
- For other long-term visitors: They simply have no use for them. Never had.

A good time to realise that the age where a Farang basically could enter (and stay) in any country of his choice just by presenting his EU/US Passport are gone for good.
It doesn't take any "clairvoiancy" to predict that Neighboring Countries to Thailand are implementing (or contemplating) to thighten immigration rules.

Nice to know that (so far) the Thais only ask for 800K in the Bank and about 10 hours of paperwork per year. Quite benevolent requirements. May it last!

10 years from now, some resident Farangs may sit at their favourite watering-hole, remembering the days when it took only 800K in the Bank and 10 hours of paperwork per year.

Remembering the relatively unburocratic "good old days" of 2019.

Archived