Ex-pat issues in China - sound familiar?

SteveK

5 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Really?  I am not familiar with the US. But in Europe once you are in there is zero tracking. No TM30's. No 90 day reporting. Visa based on marriage are permanent after some years, or you will get a new passport. No need to renew anything every year. In which way alien tracking is similar like Thailand?

I worked for a short time in Germany and everyone including foreigner have to be registered at the local town hall. However it's a one time thing. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Really you are stretching it now because of desperation. Send a message with the word 'jihad' in it, send another with 'crusade' in it and yet another with 'infidel' in it.

Are you telling me that won't attract attention?

I'm all for debate but arguing for the sake of arguing doesn't interest me. If your case is that all social media isn't monitored around the world, perhaps you need to think again. Chinese social media is no less restrictive than any other. That's my point and until you can stop the bluster and prove or at least cite a case proving the opposite. we're done.

Fact: Wechat censors your private messages. Messages with things the government doesn't like are deleted, or stay visible for you but the recepient will never get it.

Fact: This will never happen with Whatsapp because it is end to end encrypted. Nobody can read your messages and you can discuss whatever you want. 

And now I have to prove anything to you?

>> Chinese social media is no less restrictive than any other.

Can you give me one example of western social media where your messages are monitored and controlled by a government who deletes messages they do not like?  Can you give me just 1 example?  

You call me desperate. But it seems you have no arguments, no facts. I am very much in shock that someone can defend China, can defend their crimes, their censorship, their violations of human rights. Unbelievable that someone with access to the right information can do that. 

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I worked for a short time in Germany and everyone including foreigner have to be registered at the local town hall. However it's a one time thing. 

Exactly. Everybody has to be registered somewhere. Citizens, foreigners moving into the country. And if you move to another address you also have to give them an update. Which is important else you will miss the mail from the tax authorities and tickets for speeding. But there is nothing that looks like what happens in Thailand.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, ericthai said:

The US is not trying to bring down China. The US is trying to get fair trade deals. China and several other countries have high import tariff's on US products therefore causing low us exports causing job loss and factory closure in the USA.  

I see you are a believer. A believer of US Propaganda that is. America will do anything to keep it's finacial grip on the world. Not just over China but, any other country that could depose them for that matter.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, dimitriv said:

Fact: Wechat censors your private messages. Messages with things the government doesn't like are deleted, or stay visible for you but the recepient will never get it.

Fact: This will never happen with Whatsapp because it is end to end encrypted. Nobody can read your messages and you can discuss whatever you want. 

And now I have to prove anything to you?

>> Chinese social media is no less restrictive than any other.

Can you give me one example of western social media where your messages are monitored and controlled by a government who deletes messages they do not like?  Can you give me just 1 example?  

You call me desperate. But it seems you have no arguments, no facts. I am very much in shock that someone can defend China, can defend their crimes, their censorship, their violations of human rights. Unbelievable that someone with access to the right information can do that. 

Sigh, how many times? WeChat does not delete your messages or prevent them reaching their destination. If you post too many provocative or contentious messages containing alarm words, exactly the same as in the west, you will be flagged for attention. I perhaps didn't explain that so well and that's why you're like a dog with a bone. Or a Jack Russell trying to boff someone's leg.

I lived in China 13 years, I'll be only too pleased to debate life in China with you anytime but like a lot you are western educated and either will not or cannot come to terms with the rise and success of China and keenly absorb every negative fact you are fed and regurgitate them at every opportunity, be they true or not. 

I have used WeChat for the last eight years, What'sApp for the last six, Line, the same, Viber for three years. I can find little difference between any of them. Yes WeChat isn't encrypted but is that noticeable to the user? How would you propose to monitor the several billion messages sent every hour in all sorts of different languages?

On 11/26/2019 at 5:29 AM, Expat Brad said:

I see you are a believer. A believer of US Propaganda that is. America will do anything to keep it's finacial grip on the world. Not just over China but, any other country that could depose them for that matter.

Can you give examples of the US trying to bring down China?  Without clear examples it's just an opinion and not a fact.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:18 PM, Traubert said:

Sigh, how many times? WeChat does not delete your messages or prevent them reaching their destination. If you post too many provocative or contentious messages containing alarm words, exactly the same as in the west, you will be flagged for attention. I perhaps didn't explain that so well and that's why you're like a dog with a bone. Or a Jack Russell trying to boff someone's leg.

I lived in China 13 years, I'll be only too pleased to debate life in China with you anytime but like a lot you are western educated and either will not or cannot come to terms with the rise and success of China and keenly absorb every negative fact you are fed and regurgitate them at every opportunity, be they true or not. 

I have used WeChat for the last eight years, What'sApp for the last six, Line, the same, Viber for three years. I can find little difference between any of them. Yes WeChat isn't encrypted but is that noticeable to the user? How would you propose to monitor the several billion messages sent every hour in all sorts of different languages?

Yes. Wechat deletes messages mentioning words like Tiananmen square and other words the Chinese government doesn't like. It can also prevent messages from arriving at the recipient. There is no chat app in the west doing something similar. Also because most chat programs in the west are encrypted. Something that does not happen with Wechat, because encryption is not allowed in China.

It seems you do not want to understand the difference between China and the west   "exactly the same as in the west"  It is really very different.  China is so afraid of uprisings that they want to monitor everything, and try to prevent people to organize, criticize the government etc. So, that is why encryption is not allowed, and your messages are being filtered.

>> Yes WeChat isn't encrypted but is that noticeable to the user? 

No you will not notice this as long as you do not go against government rules.

>> How would you propose to monitor the several billion messages sent every hour in all sorts of different languages?

It is called automation, AI etc. Things go fast. It is not that hard to do.

10 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Yes. Wechat deletes messages mentioning words like Tiananmen square and other words the Chinese government doesn't like. It can also prevent messages from arriving at the recipient. There is no chat app in the west doing something similar. Also because most chat programs in the west are encrypted. Something that does not happen with Wechat, because encryption is not allowed in China.

It seems you do not want to understand the difference between China and the west   "exactly the same as in the west"  It is really very different.  China is so afraid of uprisings that they want to monitor everything, and try to prevent people to organize, criticize the government etc. So, that is why encryption is not allowed, and your messages are being filtered.

>> Yes WeChat isn't encrypted but is that noticeable to the user? 

No you will not notice this as long as you do not go against government rules.

>> How would you propose to monitor the several billion messages sent every hour in all sorts of different languages?

It is called automation, AI etc. Things go fast. It is not that hard to do.

I’m doing business with a bunch of Chinese folks who use WeChat; you can call me paranoid, but I’m not registering via Facebook for fear it exposes my friends to unwanted prejudice or scrutiny

Archived