Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

Recommended Posts

Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

 

76651701_2759929997361250_5615880661068939264_o.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

 

A 28 year old woman from Myanmar has gone to the Pattaya police suggesting one of them ripped her off.

 

Duragar, said that she was contacted by phone by a man who said he was a policeman who said that he could "sort out" the problem of two friends of hers who were being held at the police station. 

 

He asked for 15,000 baht to "make the problem go away" and she bargained him down to 12,000. 

 

She met him behind a department store near the police station where she handed over the money and two phones worth 30,000 baht that belonged to her compatriots who were being held. 

 

Several hours later she went to the police station and was told that it was not possible to release her friends and they would continue to be held. 

 

Thereafter she could not contact the man claiming to be a police officer. 

 

Sophon Cable TV reported that the lady was in floods of tears talking about how she had come to Thailand to work only to be ripped off like this. 

 

The report did not mention anywhere about it being illegal to attempt to bribe a police officer. 

 

The police filed her report and promised to investigate and bring the full force of the law down on the person responsible. 

 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-16
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

obviously worked in collusion with the police but we'll hear nothing more about it so best to forget it as usual

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The report did not mention anywhere about it being illegal to attempt to bribe a police officer.

That must be because it is not a bribe. A bribe is when the one who is paying offer a sum of money, or other valuable items, to a person for an illegal service or a service that are refused according to rules and regulations. Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

Edited by Matzzon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That must be because it is not a bribe. A bribe is when the one who is paying offer a sum of money, or other valuable items, to a person for an illegal service or a service that are refused according to rules and regulations. Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

I think that the fact is it can be done and is very often done screams loader. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I think that the fact is it can be done and is very often done screams loader. 

And that has to do with my quote how? Does that make it an offer, a bribe or a fraud? Yeah, I mean that thing that screams loader?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Pattaya police are more corrupt than any other area of Thailand. 

The fact that the thief knew about the arrested men and acquired her phone number screams inside job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

I also could claim police extortion in Pattaya soi 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

 

It’s not extortion and it’s not bribery...it’s just dedicated, hardworking police in the performance of their primary job.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The report did not mention anywhere about it being illegal to attempt to bribe a police officer. 

Only if caught on video during the transaction... otherwise it's know as helping with inquiries!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, Matzzon said:

Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

And if that person is a government official, and the service is completed, it is bribery, regardless of who made the offer to perform it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, timendres said:

And if that person is a government official, and the service is completed, it is bribery, regardless of who made the offer to perform it.

Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same? You do know this regards Thailand and that they have a different view of things, right?

Edited by Matzzon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same? You do know this regards Thailand and that they have a different view of things, right?

Aha, according to Westernized moral standards.

 

Newsflash for you, Thai law does not interpret the same.

 

When going to the immi office, you sometimes pay more, or sometimes pay less. Based on either getting a receipt or not.

 

When going through immi at airport, and you have accidentally a few $$ folded in your passport cover, the money is gone when you get the passport back.

 

When you drive on the road, and a police guy stops you and says: 1k Baht or police station. You give him the 1k baht. He takes it, puts in his pocket and turns around and is gone with the wind.

 

etc. etc.

 

You always talk about Thai law ... and obeying the law. I can't see it?

All I see is people putting money in their pockets as they are pleased to get it in.

 

That's all more or less fine for me. But please stop talking about Thai law and obeying ... the Thai's and gov don't do it themselves.

 

 

 

 

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...