Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

rooster59

Pattaya: Myanmar woman claims police extortion

76651701_2759929997361250_5615880661068939264_o.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

A 28 year old woman from Myanmar has gone to the Pattaya police suggesting one of them ripped her off.

Duragar, said that she was contacted by phone by a man who said he was a policeman who said that he could "sort out" the problem of two friends of hers who were being held at the police station. 

He asked for 15,000 baht to "make the problem go away" and she bargained him down to 12,000. 

She met him behind a department store near the police station where she handed over the money and two phones worth 30,000 baht that belonged to her compatriots who were being held. 

Several hours later she went to the police station and was told that it was not possible to release her friends and they would continue to be held. 

Thereafter she could not contact the man claiming to be a police officer. 

Sophon Cable TV reported that the lady was in floods of tears talking about how she had come to Thailand to work only to be ripped off like this. 

The report did not mention anywhere about it being illegal to attempt to bribe a police officer. 

The police filed her report and promised to investigate and bring the full force of the law down on the person responsible. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-16

If every case like this made the paper we would need a new publication of 20 pages a day. As soon as I left the police station after notifying them of an attempted scam I was approached in the car park by a man (not in uniform) who said he could sort it out for a price.  

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The report did not mention anywhere about it being illegal to attempt to bribe a police officer.

That must be because it is not a bribe. A bribe is when the one who is paying offer a sum of money, or other valuable items, to a person for an illegal service or a service that are refused according to rules and regulations. Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

59 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That must be because it is not a bribe. A bribe is when the one who is paying offer a sum of money, or other valuable items, to a person for an illegal service or a service that are refused according to rules and regulations. Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

I think that the fact is it can be done and is very often done screams loader. 

3 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I think that the fact is it can be done and is very often done screams loader. 

And that has to do with my quote how? Does that make it an offer, a bribe or a fraud? Yeah, I mean that thing that screams loader?

On 11/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, Matzzon said:

Here a person calls her and tells a price for an illegal service, which is a totally different thing. She is fooled into believing it can be done, and told the price for it to happen. That goes normally under fraud if the offered service is not fullfilled after agreed payment has been made.

And if that person is a government official, and the service is completed, it is bribery, regardless of who made the offer to perform it.

5 hours ago, timendres said:

And if that person is a government official, and the service is completed, it is bribery, regardless of who made the offer to perform it.

Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same? You do know this regards Thailand and that they have a different view of things, right?

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same? You do know this regards Thailand and that they have a different view of things, right?

Aha, according to Westernized moral standards.

Newsflash for you, Thai law does not interpret the same.

When going to the immi office, you sometimes pay more, or sometimes pay less. Based on either getting a receipt or not.

When going through immi at airport, and you have accidentally a few $$ folded in your passport cover, the money is gone when you get the passport back.

When you drive on the road, and a police guy stops you and says: 1k Baht or police station. You give him the 1k baht. He takes it, puts in his pocket and turns around and is gone with the wind.

etc. etc.

You always talk about Thai law ... and obeying the law. I can't see it?

All I see is people putting money in their pockets as they are pleased to get it in.

That's all more or less fine for me. But please stop talking about Thai law and obeying ... the Thai's and gov don't do it themselves.

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Aha, according to Westernized moral standards.

Newsflash for you, Thai law does not interpret the same.

When going to the immi office, you sometimes pay more, or sometimes pay less. Based on either getting a receipt or not.

When going through immi at airport, and you have accidentally a few $$ folded in your passport cover, the money is gone when you get the passport back.

When you drive on the road, and a police guy stops you and says: 1k Baht or police station. You give him the 1k baht. He takes it, puts in his pocket and turns around.

etc. etc.

You always talk about Thai law ... I can't see it? All I see is people putting money in their pockets as they are pleased to get it in.

As usual you do not understand what you quote. "Newsflash for you, Thai law does not interpret the same."????? When did I wrote that????

I wrote: "Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same?"

Interpret the same, means how they look at and understand the same offense or the law connected to that. Not that they interpret in the same way, and it also do not stand that.

Maybe better you take the time to read a couple of times before you are quick to quote. It´s seem like that is needed for it to sink in. ????

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

As usual you do not understand what you quote. "Newsflash for you, Thai law does not interpret the same."????? When did I wrote that????

I wrote: "Something very important here! Is that according to your personal an westerised moral standards? Is that according to the law in your country, or have you been taking that out of that Thai law and how they interpret the same?"

Interpret the same, means how they look at and understand the same offense or the law connected to that. Not that they interpret in the same way, and it also do not stand that.

Maybe better you take the time to read a couple of times before you are quick to quote. It´s seem like that is needed for it to sink in. ????

No, it's that you always defend Thai law to the t's and dots ... and even mention Western moral standards.

... and that in this country, which is corrupt to the bone, from top down.

15 minutes ago, RedPill said:

No, it's that you always defend Thai law to the t's and dots ... and even mention Western moral standards.

... and that in this country, which is corrupt to the bone, from top down.

Now you shift to something else. Below you can see what it was all about. You quoted something you did not understand.

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Just admitt it instead of trying to survive by changing part in the conversation. 

Just now, Matzzon said:

Now you shift to something else. Below you can see what it was all about. You quoted something you did not understand.

Just admitt it instead of trying to survive by changing part in the conversation. 

It's ok. Don't go to deep. I think you got my point.

Good morning ????

20 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Utter nonsense. As usual.

The definition (according to Black's Law Dictionary):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribery

Does not matter who initiates the bribe. Once the transaction occurs, it is bribery.

As for Thailand, bribery is illegal, end of sentence.

Saying it happens does not make it legal, it makes it corruption:

http://library.siam-legal.com/bribery-in-thailand/

Many people do not understand that the punishment for bribery can be severe. The Thai Criminal Code criminalizes both active and passive bribery. For example, according to Section 144, the punishment that may be imposed for the bribing an official is imprisonment up to 5 years or a fine of 10,000 THB, or both. This includes even the offering of a bribe to a policeman or other official can result in jail time.

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Utter nonsense. As usual.

The definition (according to Black's Law Dictionary):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribery

What int the world has Black´s Law Dictionary to do with Thailand. The Utter nonsense is that you believe you can use an american interpretation of law on Thai law. Actually hillarious! ????

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Does not matter who initiates the bribe. Once the transaction occurs, it is bribery.

As for Thailand, bribery is illegal, end of sentence.

Saying it happens does not make it legal, it makes it corruption:

http://library.siam-legal.com/bribery-in-thailand/

If you read all the article in your link to Siam Legal, then you can clearly see that point att the policeman and the official that is offering a bribe. Therefore your last sentence in your quote is really important: "This includes even the offering of a bribe to a policeman or other official can result in jail time." it goes not turn it around and explain a policeman or an official offering an illegal service as the definition of bribe.

That is done in Blacks Law link, but is not the definition of the law in Thailand. I am not saying it´s right. What I am saying is that this is Thailand, and that you can not go after the definition of a law in another country or your own moral standards.

Archived