Thais flock to pray to a lump of wood after policeman wins 114 million on the lottery

rooster59

Thais flock to pray to a lump of wood after policeman wins 114 million on the lottery

lottery.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Huge amounts of Thai tourists, other visitors and locals have been converging on a temple in Sisaket in Thailand north east hoping to get rich in the next lottery draw. 

They believe they can get the numbers they need from the spirit of a bit of wood housed at the temple of Wat Ban Non Jik. 

The wood is believed to be inhabited by a spirit called "Jao Mae Takhian Hin". 

It comes from a Takhian Hin or 'hopea ferra' tree that is the provincial symbol of Amnat Charoen province and a top source of lottery numbers. 

Pol Sgt-Maj Sutthipong Khanana, 62, - a former border patrol policeman -  prayed to the spirit before scooping 114 million thanks to 19 winning tickets. He even gave one to a friend. 

Thai Rath said that the cop had become a multi-millionaire in the blink of an eye. 

Local phu yai ban (village leader) Ornsri said that Sutthipong had promised the spirit that if she blessed him with the winning numbers he would enlarge the shrine and build a pavilion. 

The shrine enlargement work is due to be finished today which is just as well as the number of visitors praying and lighting incense is huge. 

The numbers that those in the know are betting on for the next draw are 957, 406, 941, 253  and 57. 

Thaivisa advises that you'll need to make a promise or the magic might not work. 

Enjoy getting rich!

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-16

16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Welcome to the 15th Century. lol 

They believe they can get the numbers they need from the spirit of a bit of wood housed at the temple of Wat Ban Non Jik. 

The wood is believed to be inhabited by a spirit called "Jao Mae Takhian Hin".

No different from Christianity when you look at it objectively!

No different to Kham Chanod.

Thousands go every day, from as far afield as Chaing Mai and  China. Hugging trees, covering the turtles with powder and letting the catfish back into the lake for their freedom. They win too. Only last month someone won 6 million baht.

Over 100 lottery sellers there every day. Charging a minimum of 100 baht a ticket. some of the more lucky tickets are 300 baht each, (I thought Cha Cha had stopped this!?).

I have been across the long bridge in the past, but now amuse myself feeding the fish, and watching the iguanas until the wife returns.

Waste of time really, Thais should be more scientific about the lottery. My wife monitors the news channels, watching like a hawk, for people that have survived horrible automobile accidents. She gets the plate number then buys the corresponding lottery ticket, very scientific. She never wins but if she ever does....

24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

"Thais flock to pray to a lump of wood after policeman wins 114 million on the lottery"

title made me think they were attracted to the cop's "woody" because he won so much

You beat me to it.

My version: That's not a "chunk of wood", that's a WOODY !

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I sometimes get a bit of wood,but I have never won nowt !  it's got the numbers 435678321098000987

tattooed on it.feel free to select your own winning numbers .

regards Worgeordie

I wouldn't "touch" those numbers !

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I'm thinking of hiring a mini van to get there as fast as I can to rub some luckeee numbers out of this lump of wood.....anyone interested?

Nope take an axe , chop  of a chunk, then sell matchstick size splinters for 500 baht a pop.

Archived