Thais flock to pray to a lump of wood after policeman wins 114 million on the lottery

rooster59

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pol Sgt-Maj Sutthipong Khanana, 62, - a former border patrol policeman -  prayed to the spirit before scooping 114 million thanks to 19 winning tickets. He even gave one to a friend.

I though that the maximum you could win on the lottery was 90 million, 15 tickets at 6 million each?

So has this policeman won the first prize on two seperate occasions?

So much hatred spewed over folk's superstitions or beliefs, my my. I'm so glad I'm an sophisticated educated westerner who eschews such silliness myself. My lucky underwear was getting stanky anyway.

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

They believe they can get the numbers they need from the spirit of a bit of wood housed at the temple of Wat Ban Non Jik. 

The wood is believed to be inhabited by a spirit called "Jao Mae Takhian Hin".

No different from Christianity when you look at it objectively!

QUOTE: No different from Christianity when you look at it objectively!

Different centuries though.

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: No different from Christianity when you look at it objectively!

Different centuries though.

No, many people kiss a Rosary, genuflect before the Cross, or "Touch Wood" - which translates as touching the Holy Cross for luck.

Others kiss the "Blarney Stone", have a "lucky rabbits foot", "wish upon a star", or many other iterations of symbolism, which some believe, helps them.

But then these things are ignored, just so people can denigrate Thailand.

56 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So much hatred spewed over folk's superstitions or beliefs, my my. I'm so glad I'm an sophisticated educated westerner who eschews such silliness myself. My lucky underwear was getting stanky anyway.

Why superstition?? everytime my wife touches my wood I get lucky.

sadly not much luck lately :sad:

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

No, many people kiss a Rosary, genuflect before the Cross, or "Touch Wood" - which translates as touching the Holy Cross for luck.

Others kiss the "Blarney Stone", have a "lucky rabbits foot", "wish upon a star", or many other iterations of symbolism, which some believe, helps them.

I can't believe that I - a fundamentalist atheist - am defending christianity, albeit against a thai apologist.

Yes there still are religious (and other) nutters in Farangland - but it's all about percentages......

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I can't believe that I - a fundamentalist atheist - am defending christianity, albeit against a thai apologist.

Yes there still are religious (and other) nutters in Farangland - but it's all about percentages......

Who's the 'thai apologist'?

Are you one of those Dawkins disciples...?

Clearly, you have failed to understand my post #37.

Never mind.

10 hours ago, faraday said:

Indeed. Selective criticism from the ever present thai bashers. Billions of Christians worship lumps of wood.

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

And that is the key word; 'percentages'.  I've been married to four ladies; a catholic, a muslim, a seven day adventist (christian) and the present wife, a devout buddhist. The percentages have not worked in my favour at all. Or am I simply attracted to nutters. Perhaps next time.

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

They believe they can get the numbers they need from the spirit of a bit of wood housed at the temple of Wat Ban Non Jik. 

The wood is believed to be inhabited by a spirit called "Jao Mae Takhian Hin".

No different from Christianity when you look at it objectively!

I have not read where any Christian prayed to a relic, idol or saint to hit the lottery jackpot. I have read where they have prayed to such things for the recovery of a sick or dying person, deliverance from danger and such. No lottery there, unless you compare it to the chance of a favorable outcome.

39 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I have not read where any Christian prayed to a relic, idol or saint to hit the lottery jackpot. I have read where they have prayed to such things for the recovery of a sick or dying person, deliverance from danger and such. No lottery there, unless you compare it to the chance of a favorable outcome.

My comment was really in relation to praying to an idol/piece of wood hoping that something would happen or fortunes might change one way or another.

In general, praying to a piece of wood in Thailand because folks believe it contains a spirit, is no different to folks praying for whatever in front of a statue, idol or the like in Christianity..........e.g. wooden effigies, crosses, shrouds, etc hoping that fortunes might change.

Archived