BANGKOK
stat

Which foreign health insurance companies are accepted for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

Any experience feedback is greatly appreciated which health insurance companies were

1. willing to sign the necessary paperwork confirming the health insurance scheme with 2 directors signing for it

2. accepted by which embassy for the longstay visa

3. finally accepted by immigration officer in Thailand at immigration checkpoint

Additional plus would be information on price of insurance and age of applicant to decide which company is best.

I am looking to get approval from the German embassy in Berlin and will write then when I am certain in which year I will use the visa.

I think you mean the german embassy in Bangkok or the thai embassy in Berlin. But there is no german embassy in Berlin.

😁 

• Haha 1

I believe there was a recent post here in another related thread on a German citizen who claimed they were able to get some German insurer to sign the foreign insurance certificate for use with the Thai Embassy or Consulate there....

I'm searching via Google for the post I'm recalling, but can't find it. It was a very brief comment of someone saying they'd managed to get a foreign insurance certificate signed by their insurer, and I'm pretty sure they mentioned the particular name of the insurer, that being one in Germany, as best as I can recall.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 hours ago, Haribo said:

I think you mean the german embassy in Bangkok or the thai embassy in Berlin. But there is no german embassy in Berlin.

😁 

Yeah sorry I mean the thai embassy in Berlin 🙂

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have international BUPA. Will that be acceptable?

Is it on the list ?  If not, then NO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stat said:

Yeah sorry I mean the thai embassy in Berlin 🙂

hanse merkur does sign the certificate but only valid for 1 year , thereafter you are requested a thai insurance. better apply for a non-o 90 days or non-o multiple entry both require no insurance.

wbr

roobaa01

9 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

hanse merkur does sign the certificate but only valid for 1 year , thereafter you are requested a thai insurance. better apply for a non-o 90 days or non-o multiple entry both require no insurance.

wbr

roobaa01

Thanks for the information regarding Hanse Merkur!

Was the certificate accepted at embassy and did you manage to get past immigration with the health insurance certificate?

Not even sure if I will stay longer then one year so will go for longstay but thanks for pointing out the alternative. Main reason for sticking with longstay is that I do not need to do visa runs that take a full day each and cost additional money.

22 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

The Thai Embassy site in the US (consistent with a letter sent out by the US State Department) clearly states that the long-stay health insurance requirement for an O-A visa can be satisfied by coverage from a Thai or foreign insurance company so long as the insurance company signs the form that the required coverage (400 k in-patient, 40k out-patient) has been provided for the stay time period.  You can read the clear requirements (see specifically Sections 8, 8.1, and 8.2) here:  OA Visa Requirements  

So, yes, at least in the US (I didn't research other Thai embassies' requirements), a foreign insurer not on the so-called "approved list" is acceptable.  The new long-stay health insurance requirements are rather minimal and I would think (hope?) that the same coverage provided by a foreign insurer would be cheaper than what's being charged by the approved Thai companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

For initial issuance of visa it will be accepted if they sign the "certificate".  Some places are accepting policy documents without "certificate" since most companies won't sign the latter.

There was indeed a report from someone with a German insurance policy that agreed to sign the certificate. I think company name began with an H? I'll see if I can find it.

This will only suffice for the first year though. Unless things change between now and then you won't be able to get an additional year out of that visa unless you buy local insurance. But you could go back to Germany and get a new OA.

Immigration at entry point is supposed to accept anyone with the requisite Embassy/Consulate notation on their visa.  

Embassies/Consulates are supposed to acvept any foreign polucy that signs the certificate. As mentioned some agree to accept policy document if cannot get the certificate but this may vary with place. Obviously any such policy will have to include outpatient coverage.

53 minutes ago, CMBob said:

The new long-stay health insurance requirements are rather minimal and I would think (hope?) that the same coverage provided by a foreign insurer would be cheaper than what's being charged by the approved Thai companies.

The problem is the OPD requirement. Foreign policies don't offer 40k baht OPD. They usually either offer inpatient only, inpatient plus OPD only for selected high cost things (cancer treatment, dialysis, day surgery etc) or inpatient plus complete OPD cover up to the polucy maximum which is usually 1 million US. Inclusion of complete OPD cover typically doubles premiums.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Sorry to pour cold water onto the topic, but one of my European friends just went through a very unsettling experience at Chiang Mai Immigration. He holds an original 0-A visa issued outside of ThaIland and fell under the new regulation compelling him to have health insurance. He already has a foreign policy issued by a major international insurer that clearly shows $2 million in maximum coverages, far exceeding the new Thai requirement.  When he showed his policy to Immigration, the official brusquely shoved it aside and handed over a list of 14 eligible Thai insurers that must be used to meet the insurance requirement.  He said that international coverage is not permitted. Actually the original announcement in Thai signed by a police general in Bangkok does mention that foreign insurance can be used if it exceeds Thai coverage, but Chiang Mai officials have decided not to ignore that order and disallow such coverage. Furthermore my friend contacted several of the listed 14 Thai companies and each one told him that he is uninsurable because of his age (late 60s).   <deleted>?

it is time for our respective embassies to step in to plead for fair play in how their citizens living in Thailand are being treated.  This refusal by Chiang Mai immigration authorities to allow adequate international insurance coverage clearly indicates the massive Thai shakedown for what it truly is: a conspiratorial scam that the Kingdom ought to be ashamed of foisting on older expatriate retirees who clearly can take care of their own needs. 

Sounds like Chiang Mai immigration are now also insurance salesmen !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The problem is the OPD requirement. Foreign policies don't offer 40k baht OPD. They usually either offer inpatient only, inpatient plus OPD only for selected high cost things (cancer treatment, dialysis, day surgery etc) or inpatient plus complete OPD cover up to the polucy maximum which is usually 1 million US. Inclusion of complete OPD cover typically doubles premiums.

Your post made me look at my current domestic policy. I declined OPD, but had I accepted it the premium would have been 22500 baht p.a. more, which offered 2000 baht cover per visit, up to 30 visits p.a. You can see why I turned it down! But would this meet the Non-Imm-O-A requirement of 40,000 for OPD cover? How does that define max per visit or number of visits?