Which foreign health insurance companies are accepted for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

1 minute ago, Bogbrush said:

It means you’ll need a medical prior to acceptance if you are 65+. Its quite extensive (includes chest X-ray/mammogram and blood work) and no doubt will involve non-coverage for existing conditions but as the whole point of my plan is to rely on your overseas cover it’s merely a paper exercise..

Only for 65+ or is mandatory for everyone?

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

If it is a full check up then not interested as I will never use the insurance anyway.

Can you or anyone tell me which insurance companies on the list do not require a medical? I'm just interested in filling out an application online and then paying online as no more than that. 

No one if you’re 65+. If under 65 then you’d best check the companies websites for their specific requirements.

13 minutes ago, Arndt777 said:

I agree! Me and my (German) wife will go the same way. We both have unlimited and worldwide health insurance already. On the one hand the additional health insurance with Pacific Cross is wasted money, but on the other hand it is the admission ticket to a retirement in Thailand...

You should first study your insurance carefully. My German insurance (AXA) don't allow me to have another insurance simultaneously. 

• Like 1

Many people have expressed dissatisfaction with new O-A visa insurance requirements and have given good reasons for that dissatisfaction. 

The requirements are far from the best and efficient scheme possible. 

Since 2015 the UK has had a scheme requiring long-stay people to contribute to the National Health Service (the NHS).

Unfortunately, long-stay people in Thailand have no organisation to lobby the Thai government in their interests and to promote a similar scheme in Thailand. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/17/factcheck-tory-proposals-charge-foreigners-more-use-nhs

2 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

You expect others to do it for you?

No. Just information as what this website is all about. I kick down relevant info when I have it so did you misinterpret my reply to you? Again thank you for your replies and for your answers to another OP and did that make you feel proud? I hope so. You seem like an older gent who has all your ducks in a line so no disrespect to you.. As for doing it for me? I'm a big boy with lots of years here already. I'm mid 50's on an O and not retirement and figuring out my next step. Thanks again for all your info. 

Edited by holy cow cm

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah, do the leg work. thanks. 

It has been done  already. Please see charts posted on these threads:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129628-oam-visa-insurance-options/

Use only that chart if you are planning in settling here permanently, it is a shorter chart limited to companies that will ensure over age 60 and guarantee lifetime renewal or renewal to at least age 99.

If you are not [planning on settling here permanently then there are more choices, seer the longer chart in this thread:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128396-cheat-sheet-for-longstay-insurance-policies/

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It has been done  already. Please see charts posted on these threads:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129628-oam-visa-insurance-options/

Use only that chart if you are planning in settling here permanently, it is a shorter chart limited to companies that will ensure over age 60 and guarantee lifetime renewal or renewal to at least age 99.

If you are not [planning on settling here permanently then there are more choices, seer the longer chart in this thread:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128396-cheat-sheet-for-longstay-insurance-policies/

Have been here solid for over 25 years. Came when I was in my thirties. So once you get the insurance, when you get to the age of 65 do they require you to have a physical to renew the policy? Or do they just keep renewing it? I am just planning on getting it and tossing the money away not using the policy as I have a feeling it is going to hit the Non O's pretty soon and if I wait then it will be harder. $750 is nothing when you consider 300k in deductibles. 

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If it is a full check up then not interested as I will never use the insurance anyway.

Can you or anyone tell me which insurance companies on the list do not require a medical? I'm just interested in filling out an application online and then paying online as no more than that. 

I believe Pacific Cross reimburses the medical exam if you get a policy afterwards with them. (Of course results of the exam might rule that out if you have significant health problems...)

The least expensive option is PC Standard Extra  taking a 300K deductible. But if you are over 65 you have to pass a medical exam to get it.  Other than PC which policy is cheapest will depend on your age. Those cheapest (relatively speaking; all are expensive) at age 61 are not the cheapest (sic) at age 81. 

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I believe Pacific Cross reimburses the medical exam if you get a policy afterwards with them. (Of course results of the exam might rule that out if you have significant health problems...)

The least expensive option is PC Standard Extra  taking a 300K deductible. But if you are over 65 you have to pass a medical exam to get it.  Other than PC which policy is cheapest will depend on your age. Those cheapest (relatively speaking; all are expensive) at age 61 are not the cheapest (sic) at age 81. 

Yeah, I am in my mid fifties now, so once I get a policy with no exam can or will it just be continually renewed till I am 90 or till I die? Meaning is there any magic number once you have a policy that they will insist on an exam to keep the policy running? 60? 65? 70? Again it is a junk policy that will never be used.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Have been here solid for over 25 years. Came when I was in my thirties. So once you get the insurance, when you get to the age of 65 do they require you to have a physical to renew the policy? Or do they just keep renewing it? I am just planning on getting it and tossing the money away not using the policy as I have a feeling it is going to hit the Non O's pretty soon and if I wait then it will be harder. $750 is nothing when you consider 300k in deductibles. 

If you already have a policy, with any company, no need to get a physical for renewal up to whatever is their guaranteed renewal date. With international policies the latter is usually lifetime but with Thai policies it is usually not. Some are as low as age 60. In some cases they may agree to renewal past the guaranteed age but on "case by case"basis in which case they'd likely ask for a physical.

I strongly advise against getting a policy which does not guarantee lifetime (or at least age 99) renewal if planning to live here for the rest of your life, just sets you up for huge problems later when you are older and weaker. And given choice between guaranteed lifetime and guaranteed till 99, take the lifetime - not unusual these days to live past 100.

If you are under 60 can get AETNA plan with guaranteed lifetime cover. If between 61 - 75 Thaivivat will guarantee lifetime renewal and PCguarantees  to age 99.

For this requirement to be applied to O visas would first require either a revision of the Immigration Act or an additional Cabinet Resolution. The Resolution last April is specific to only OAs. But you are right that the longer you wait the fewer policy options you'll have.

Do you already have a good international policy? 

17 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah, I am in my mid fifties now, so once I get a policy with no exam can or will it just be continually renewed till I am 90 or till I die? Meaning is there any magic number once you have a policy that they will insist on an exam to keep the policy running? 60? 65? 70? Again it is a junk policy that will never be used.

As far as I know, no need for an exam to renew up to the guaranteed renewal date which is age 99 for Pacific Cross, Lifetime for AETNA and Thai Vivat and 100 for Viriyah and Bangkok Insurance.

However you should check the wording of the actual policy document before purchasing a policy. I am going by what is normal practice but Thai insurance policies sometimes vary from that in surprising ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know, no need for an exam to renew up to the guaranteed renewal date which is age 99 for Pacific Cross, Lifetime for AETNA and Thai Vivat and 100 for Viriyah and Bangkok Insurance.

However you should check the wording of the actual policy document before purchasing a policy. I am going by what is normal practice but Thai insurance policies sometimes vary from that in surprising ways.

Thanks Sheryl. It is definitely something we all should be aware so not caught up in a snafu later. For me it just makes sense to jump before they shoot the gun as I can see they have the handle cocked and finger on the trigger probably ready to pull. It is not the money at $750 for PC, but knowing I will have a policy and never be messed with by them or immigration. I don't think I will live near or even past 99, and if I do it will be time to move to Vietnam. : )

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For this requirement to be applied to O visas would first require either a revision of the Immigration Act or an additional Cabinet Resolution. The Resolution last April is specific to only OAs.

I'm going to remarry my ex-wife who is Thai because my family name on her American passport and her Thai family name on her Thai passport have created some complications for her. So, I am now wonder if that would also help me to change my OA visa to an O visa. Any thoughts on the matter?

On 11/18/2019 at 1:45 AM, Fore Man said:

Sorry to pour cold water onto the topic, but one of my European friends just went through a very unsettling experience at Chiang Mai Immigration. He holds an original 0-A visa issued outside of ThaIland and fell under the new regulation compelling him to have health insurance. He already has a foreign policy issued by a major international insurer that clearly shows $2 million in maximum coverages, far exceeding the new Thai requirement.  When he showed his policy to Immigration, the official brusquely shoved it aside and handed over a list of 14 eligible Thai insurers that must be used to meet the insurance requirement.  He said that international coverage is not permitted. Actually the original announcement in Thai signed by a police general in Bangkok does mention that foreign insurance can be used if it exceeds Thai coverage, but Chiang Mai officials have decided not to ignore that order and disallow such coverage. Furthermore my friend contacted several of the listed 14 Thai companies and each one told him that he is uninsurable because of his age (late 60s).   <deleted>?

it is time for our respective embassies to step in to plead for fair play in how their citizens living in Thailand are being treated.  This refusal by Chiang Mai immigration authorities to allow adequate international insurance coverage clearly indicates the massive Thai shakedown for what it truly is: a conspiratorial scam that the Kingdom ought to be ashamed of foisting on older expatriate retirees who clearly can take care of their own needs. 

While itsd all a matter of interpretation, it is possible that overseas insurance, even fully certified and agreed as over the levels, may only be acceptable the 'first year' hence not for incountry extensions. 

This is all part of the 'lets wait and see' but it is mentioned 'first year only'.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

While itsd all a matter of interpretation, it is possible that overseas insurance, even fully certified and agreed as over the levels, may only be acceptable the 'first year' hence not for incountry extensions. 

This is all part of the 'lets wait and see' but it is mentioned 'first year only'.. 

True; good thinking. We will just have to wait and see.  I’m more concerned that they may decide to add Non-O to their insurance requirement.  This would substantially color my views on staying here in retirement or not.  In my mind I would think they might consider that placing THB 800K or bringing in the equivalent in monthly income would satisfy their mandate that each retiree has set aside enough funds to meet any emergency situation....medical care included. But I’m not getting my hopes up yet.  The really sad thing is that for most elderly expats living here long term, the authorities seem determined to make our lives as tumultuous as they can at a stage when we only want to be settled in place, at peace with ourselves and with those we love and who care to our needs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

True; good thinking. We will just have to wait and see.  I’m more concerned that they may decide to add Non-O to their insurance requirement.  This would substantially color my views on staying here in retirement or not.  In my mind I would think they might consider that placing THB 800K or bringing in the equivalent in monthly income would satisfy their mandate that each retiree has set aside enough funds to meet any emergency situation....medical care included. But I’m not getting my hopes up yet.  The really sad thing is that for most elderly expats living here long term, the authorities seem determined to make our lives as tumultuous as they can at a stage when we only want to be settled in place, at peace with ourselves and with those we love and who care to our needs. 

But thats exactly the same situation that OA based permission of stay are in when they extend annually ?!? 

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

But thats exactly the same situation that OA based permission of stay are in when they extend annually ?!? 

Yes it would seem so.  But don’t forget than an O-A holder can easily enough convert his visa to type O and avoid the insurance scam, uh...official requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fore Man said:

an O-A holder can easily enough convert his visa to type O and avoid the insurance scam, uh...official requirement.

Okay, I live in the province of Rayong and I have an O-A visa that is valid until February 4, 2020. How, exactly, do I convert my O-A visa to an O visa?

16 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Okay, I live in the province of Rayong and I have an O-A visa that is valid until February 4, 2020. How, exactly, do I convert my O-A visa to an O visa?

I’m no expert and don’t want to mislead you, but I have a friend in your same situation who will do exactly as I outlined. I am unsure if you must leave Thailand or not in order to re-enter and apply for the O visa, which can subsequently be extended for reasons of retirement or marriage.  I’ll leave it to more experienced minds on the forum to answer how you would do this. 

4 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Yes it would seem so.  But don’t forget than an O-A holder can easily enough convert his visa to type O and avoid the insurance scam, uh...official requirement.

Well he cant convert it.. 

He can leave, once it has expired and start all over again.. 

Semantics I know but its not like its a form and office visit.. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Is it on the list ?  If not, then NO

Thai companies approved more,  on the approved list .

Scam big time, nothing new in land of smiles ...

Edited by elliss

33 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

That is not correct.  The police order and forms say that if a foreign policy is certified by that form it can be used.

Only when you apply for the non O-A visa overseas.

For any extension of stay, it has to be Thai insurance only, from participating companies.

That's what the Police order clearly states.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

To answer the OP's question. There is one guy on Facebook, from Sweden, that got the certificate signed by his insurance company.

However, he applied for the non O-A way before Oct 31. Last year as a matter of fact.

His insurance is a travel insurance valid for 6 months.

The reason he still got the paper, was as a backup, to show upon entry, in case he is being asked.

He was not asked and stamped 12 months.

The company in question is called Gouda. From Sweden.

However, because of what I stated in my previous post, it won't be accepted when he wishes to extend at Local Immigration. And it's not valid that long anyway, not that it would make any difference.

Screenshot_20191119-220602_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-222352_Facebook.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1