Thai bank account

The typical scenario is that you have entered Thailand on a Non-O visa with the intent to extend based on retirement. With the Non-O visa, you will have more luck with setting up a bank account. It is getter more and more difficult to open an account with a tourist visa. You can try going to different branches until you find one that will setup the account, but I suspect you will have a very difficult time finding one, depending on where you are located. It will be nearly impossible if you are from the US.

• Like 1

Many folk have this problem, but don't despair. You'll probably have a better chance once you have a Non-imm O visa, which you're going to need anyway. It will show intent.

You then don a good pair of shoes and keep going from branch to branch, telling them you have 800k to put into their bank and tell them why. Get a bit stubborn and politely ask to the manager, If possible have a Thai with you who can speak up for you.

And just keep going until one of them says yes. There is no other format other than determination.

45 minutes ago, timendres said:

The typical scenario is that you have entered Thailand on a Non-O visa with the intent to extend based on retirement. With the Non-O visa, you will have more luck with setting up a bank account. It is getter more and more difficult to open an account with a tourist visa. You can try going to different branches until you find one that will setup the account, but I suspect you will have a very difficult time finding one, depending on where you are located. It will be nearly impossible if you are from the US.

Your not wrong there,and if you have a hotel address you will definitely have zero chance of opening a bank account ,but good luck trying

53 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Just keep asking... preferably in large branches.

If you ask often enough, the statistical chance of finding a bank employee that is not too stupid and or lazy will increase.

There is NO reason for refusal, other than stupidity & lazyness & face.

According to Siam Legal, which is usually a very good reference, a "Guarantee Letter" is the only other requirement than a passport:

https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-thailand.php

So this may be the missing piece. I have no idea what that letter is, and I would suggest using any other law firm for this purpose, as Siam Legal is one of the most expensive firms in Thailand.

Konrad legal mentions a "reference letter from your home embassy", and maybe this is the "Guarantee Letter" Siam Legal is referring to:

https://www.konradlegal.com/blog/finding-it-difficult-to-open-a-bank-account-in-thailand-for-a-foreigner/

Another thread on TVF on working with BBL It references the embassy letter:

Krungsri opened one for me. Look up requirements on their website. Then ask to speak with manager, politely. Explain your situation. Have them or yourself ring the head office to clarify if needed.

It can be done, obviously, dont know why they make it a painful process. 

Why make the effort with customer service when you can just wai....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

A positive post? Hardly.

OP it has become more difficult in recent years. Many banks wanting all sort of things. Many want see one year stamp. As some folk suggest above you need shop around. I recently opened an account at K bank FD account after changes to retirement rules.

They were very helpful. 

Point is another bank wanted "letter" from my bank au and something from my embassy. Stuff that.

Shop around you will have success.

If I would be in that case I would go to immigration , and explain your plan for retirement , and ask for a supporting letter from them for opening a Thai bank account .

It all depends bit where you are based , as in Pattaya example you would have more chance as all deal more with foreigners .

In last resort an agent could be the solution as they have for both their contacts …..

PS: you would need a address certificate   

My non-Thai wife was rejected opening an account at SCB, the application even went to the HQ but was still denied. She is on non-O marriage visa for being married to me and I had an account there with regular monthly income and savings. That was the eye opener for us to leave Thailand permanently, as she will never be part/integrated in this country or seen as an equal. I know it's just a bank account but on several occasions I've seen how she was mistreated. 

After YEARS of refusal by a SCB branch in Chanthaburi (Tops supermarket), I tried my luck at another branch (Tesco Chanthaburi). NO PROBLEM !!! Being a cheeky old wiseguy that doesn't like FACE, I went back to the Tops branch, showed them my bank book and now I am the proud owner of 2 SCB bankbooks.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Have you tried opening a Foreign currency account?

Have you got an existing customer of a bank already in Thailand that can vouch for you?

Have you got a Embassy letter.

Have you tried the main/head office branches in bangkok.

Say you will SWIFT transfer the money into an account (two transfers) if they open an account (Keep the transaction record in case you need to transfer it back)

What have you got to prove the legitamacy of your money?

I would say you would be very lucky to get a THB account on a tourist visa (it was ok back in 1994 though ).

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've opened 3 bank accounts on a tourist visa, just keep trying different branches until you find a friendly one. Don't pay the circ 6k commission some dodgy branches ask for

Or the 'insurance' policy?

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You'll probably have a better chance once you have a Non-imm O visa, which you're going to need anyway.

He needs the bank account to apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Many people seem to think it is easy to get a single entry non-o visa at any embassy or consulate in the world.

To the OP. As said you just need to try different banks and different branches to op the account.

Here is Bangkok Banks requirements to open an account that may help.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He needs the bank account to apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Many people seem to think it is easy to get a single entry non-o visa at any embassy or consulate in the world.

To the OP. As said you just need to try different banks and different branches to op the account.

Here is Bangkok Banks requirements to open an account that may help.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Ah sorry, I didn't realize that having obtained my visa before arriving in the kingdom.

I found Krungsri very cooperative when I went account hunting. It was only my 3rd attempt. But I could have been lucky. The manageress there was a charming lady and couldn't have been more helpful.

Edited by Moonlover

If you are in Chiang Mai , go to Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew.

They have a lot of retirees who have opened accounts there without work permit or existing retirement visa.

Just mention to them that you are opening the account for retirement purpose.

As others have said here, you might need to get non-O visa first or get a residence certificate from your embassy first.

I opened a Bangkok Bank account years ago with tourist visa but those days might be over.

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you have a one year rental contract try Krungsr

If you have a 6 month contract try krungsri. If you have a note from your hotel saying you stay their try krungsri. Passport and SETV at a minimum. I use the branch at Mqartier although I may switch next year to their Exclusive down on Wireless, which is also a good area to open an account. Takes about an hour. 

I have nothing but good things to say about krunsgri. Fees are in line with everybody else, their customer service is impeccable, however, there exchange rates do suck so if you want to open up a foreign funds account to do conversion within Thailand, you're going to get it hard without any lube.

15 hours ago, david555 said:

If I would be in that case I would go to immigration , and explain your plan for retirement , and ask for a supporting letter from them for opening a Thai bank account .

It all depends bit where you are based , as in Pattaya example you would have more chance as all deal more with foreigners .

In last resort an agent could be the solution as they have for both their contacts …..

PS: you would need a address certificate   

Pattaya banks are very used to dealing with foreigners. Try Bangkok bank bank, second road,near soi 6.very very good service there.. Try going to a bank with an exist farang customer.. That made it simple for me, over 4 years ago