'Joker' expected to cross $1 billion global box office milestone

rooster59

'Joker' expected to cross $1 billion global box office milestone

2019-11-15T203107Z_1_LYNXMPEFAE1QE_RTROPTP_4_FILM-JOKER.JPG

Joaquin Phoenix attends the premiere for the film "Joker" in Los Angeles, California, U.S., September 28, 2019. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

(Reuters) - Comic book movie "Joker" is poised to surpass $1 billion (£781.5 million)in global ticket sales on Friday, becoming the first R-rated Hollywood movie ever to overcome the milestone.

"Joker," a dark origin story from Warner Bros. <T.N> about Batman's arch nemesis, had sold $999.1 billion as of Thursday despite not having been screened in China, which is projected to become the world's largest movie market next year.

Starring Joaquin Phoenix as a mentally-ill loner who finds fame through a random act of violence, the movie earned warm reviews as it opened in early October but stoked controversy in the United States over fears it would encourage violence.

Box office analyst Gitesh Pandya said "Joker" would top the $1 billion level on Friday.

"Absolutely jaw-dropping achievement for an R-rated film with a moderate budget and no China release," Pandya, founder and editor of Box Office Guru, wrote on Twitter.

Its nearest R-rated rivals are 2018 movie "Deadpool 2" ($785 million) and 2016's "Deadpool" ($783 million), both starring Ryan Reynolds as a foul-mouthed superhero.

Thanks to a modest production budget estimated at about $60 million, "Joker" is also the most profitable comic book movie ever, according to Forbes.com, due largely to the film's focus on character rather than special effects and action scenes.

"Joker" is now the 7th biggest Hollywood movie at the 2019 box office, behind action-packed blockbuster "Avengers:

Endgame" at $2.8 billion and family movie "The Lion King" at $1.6 billion, both from Walt Disney <DIS.N>.

The movie is expected to land nominations in the upcoming Hollywood awards season and has inspired fans to visit the spot in New York's Bronx district where Phoenix's character transforms into the Joker, his face painted like a clown and with green hair, and dances triumphantly down a set of steep steps.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine and Jill Serjeant)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-16

Yeah, still haven't seen it, read all the reviews and stuff, was gonna wait for it to come out on DVD as I'm a bit deaf and the captions help a lot; maybe I should make an effort. It's pretty hard to top Heath Ledger but this guy seems to have taken the whole joker trope to new heights. 

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

hard to grasp that China would become the largest movie market? - largest pirate movie market more likely

why pay, when they can (will) take and mass-copy?

errmmm because the <deleted> dvd  that was filmed in the first row is unwatchable

9 minutes ago, legend49 said:
13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Lets just hope there is no Joker 2,3,4,5 etc

Agree this was one of the worst films I have spent 2 hours watching in a number of years.

havn't seen it yet but heres an interesting review

On 11/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, atyclb said:

havn't seen it yet but heres an interesting review

Only watched it because I thought he hated the movie, but he loved it. Great thoughts about the breakdown of society though. Makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't make me love the movie though which I still think was rubbish. I watch a lot of movies, and it just wasn't enjoyable, and that's why we pay so much to go to the movies in the first place.

When I come out of the cinema, I want to feel better for my investment of time. If I want to be depressed, I can just watch any main stream news with it's litany of death, hatred and BS.

What sort of movies do I love to watch? Almost anything out of Studio Ghibli. Animated movies but excellent backgrounds- not some crass cheaply done Disney amateur hour.

Most involve strong females, in a genuine sense- no ass kicking superwenches to be seen, real plots, and a happy uplifting ending. Something for everyone, of all ages.

PS. Some Ghibli films were made at a time when it was fashionable to watch movies that made people cry, and Ghibli made movies like Graveyard of the fireflies, which I won't watch because it's too sad, and Red Turtle, which is also a real downer.

But, most of the Ghibli films have happy endings ( and not of the Thai sort ).

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only watched it because I thought he hated the movie, but he loved it. Great thoughts about the breakdown of society though. Makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't make me love the movie though which I still think was rubbish. I watch a lot of movies, and it just wasn't enjoyable, and that's why we pay so much to go to the movies in the first place.

When I come out of the cinema, I want to feel better for my investment of time. If I want to be depressed, I can just watch any main stream news with it's litany of death, hatred and BS.

What sort of movies do I love to watch? Almost anything out of Studio Ghibli. Animated movies but excellent backgrounds- not some crass cheaply done Disney amateur hour.

Most involve strong females, in a genuine sense- no ass kicking superwenches to be seen, real plots, and a happy uplifting ending. Something for everyone, of all ages.

i got bored watching   ad adstra . and left the theatre probably at the halfway point. aircon was too cold also but the movie just too slow and boring. maybe give it second chance with some coffee

Archived