Prince Andrew says he has no recollection of meeting Epstein accuser

rooster59

Prince Andrew says he has no recollection of meeting Epstein accuser

By William Schomberg and Andrew MacAskill

2019-11-16T121328Z_1_LYNXMPEFAF0AS_RTROPTP_4_HORSERACING-ASCOT.JPG

Horse Racing - Royal Ascot - Ascot Racecourse, Ascot, Britain - June 20, 2019 Britain's Prince Andrew arrives by horse and carriage on ladies day REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Andrew said in comments broadcast on Friday that he had no recollection of ever meeting an American woman who alleges she was forced to have sex with him when she was underage.

Andrew also told BBC television that he had "let the side down" by staying with U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein after Epstein's conviction for paying a teenage girl for sex.

One of Epstein's accusers, Virginia Giuffre, has said she was forced to have sex with Andrew in London, New York and on a private Caribbean island between 1999 and 2002, when she says Epstein kept her as a "sex slave".

In an excerpt of an interview given by Andrew to the BBC's Newsnight programme, the prince was asked about the accusation by Giuffre that she had sex with him in a house in London.

"I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever," said Andrew, the 59-year-old second son of Queen Elizabeth.

The interview, to be aired in full on Saturday at 2100 GMT, is an attempt to draw a line under a scandal after months of headlines about Andrew's ties to Epstein, who killed himself in August while being held on federal sex-trafficking charges.

In another excerpt Andrew said he stayed at Epstein's home in New York after the financier's conviction because he was "too honourable". Epstein had pleaded guilty in 2008 to Florida state prostitution charges.

"It was a convenient place to stay," Andrew said. "But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that's just the way it is."

Giuffre, who was previously named Virginia Roberts, has said that she first had sex with Andrew when she was 17 and underage.

A picture showing the prince with his arm around Giuffre's waist from 2001 has appeared in British media. Unnamed supporters of Andrew told the Daily Telegraph newspaper in August that the picture had been faked.

Andrew has previously denied any inappropriate relations with Giuffre.

PREVIOUS DENIALS

When the allegations were first made, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said it was "emphatically denied" that Andrew had any form of sexual contact or relationship with her.

Andrew has previously said he stood by the palace statements. He recently apologised over his friendship with Epstein.

He has also previously acknowledged he made a mistake after a photograph of him with Epstein in New York was published in a British newspaper in December 2010. The former investment banker was then a registered sex offender.

Epstein, 66, died by hanging himself in his Manhattan jail cell on Aug. 10.

Andrew married Sarah Ferguson in 1986 and the couple divorced 10 years later although they remain close friends.

Ferguson sent him a message of support shortly before the interview excerpts were broadcast on Friday.

"It is so rare to meet people that are able to speak from their hearts with honesty+pure real truth, that remain steadfast and strong to their beliefs," she said on Twitter.

"Andrew is a true+real gentleman and is stoically steadfast to not only his duty but also his kindness + goodness @TheDukeOfYork."

(Reporting by William Schomberg, Andrew MacAskill and Michael Holden; Editing by Stephen Addison and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-16

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Britain's Prince Andrew said in comments broadcast on Friday that he had no recollection of ever meeting an American woman who alleges she was forced to have sex with him when she was underage.

There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis
Just like you swore to me that you'd be true
There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis
But he's a liar and I'm not sure about you

Kirsty MacColl

Not British but saw a snippet of the interview on the BBC website. Comes across as an entitled turdball. Not too bright either to defend his staying with Epstein as owing to being honorable.

The French had the right idea dealing with royalty.

8 hours ago, madmen said:

He is Royalty and untouchable and he knows it

Not so. It might make him more of a target. But yes, in the upper echelons of British society people get away with all manner of crimes normal people get prosecuted for but this is the case in most countries without exception. However, 'no recollection ' is a pathetic excuse made by knaves, bounders, cads and liars. Anyway,  I bet Christmas day at his place will be a bundle of laughs...not!

well he was known as randy Andy in his earlier years. Sex slave is a bit exaggerated, she was a young tart on her way up earning a bit of cash, now she is trying to wring it out and earn a bit more, good luck with that, just as Trump is finding out, you don't screw the establishment, they screw you.

Claimes of the photo being fake are clutching at straws and rather pathetic, if it was a fake from 2001 they would have proved so long ago. Instead of that they claim his hands look chubby and that she is too tall, obviously they never saw a girl wearing heels,

Ahhh...finally after attempting to divert us from, this by the poor Megan stories, he does an interview with Maitlis.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/16/prince-andrew-what-is-the-excuse-for-this-misogynistic-nonsense-served-up-in-a-gilded-chamber

Didn't know this; a cause for concern, in light of these *ahem* allegations....?

"this proud patron of the NSPCC believes this substitutes for giving a <deleted> about Epstein’s victims."

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that's just the way it is."

Personally, I wouldn't proclaim myself as being honorable, it's just not an honorable thing to do..., I'm just too modest to do that. :tongue:

One of the things that always disturbs me about underage sex and the like is that it depends on where you are. 16 is the age of consent in the UK, whereas it is 18 in the US. If it happened in the UK then obviously it would be unseemly, but not criminal. In the US it is statutory rape whether consensual or not.

Having said that, this was a PR disaster. I haven't seen the interview, nor do I want to see it; but press reports suggest that it was cringeworthy and didn't convince anyone of his innocence. Selective forgetfulness is not any sort of defence.

"

The hour-long BBC programme on Prince Andrew and the allegations against him, including a 45-minute interview in which he tried to justify himself, has just ended.

It was an excruciating car crash performance by the prince that would convince any impartial observer that Andrew is blatantly lying.

Andrew had a long friendship with paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein, who died in a Manhattan jail in August.

Among the many extraordinary statements were:

▪️That he was initially “too honourable” to break off his friendship with Epstein when sex trafficking allegations first emerged.

▪️That when he went to stay with Epstein at his Manhattan townhouse in 2011, it was because he wanted to tell him in person they could no longer be friends. But he was then forced to admit he stayed there for four days and Epstein threw a dinner party in his honour.

▪️That allegations by sex trafficking victim Veronica Roberts Giuffre that Andrew went to Tramp nightclub in London with her, danced with her while sweating profusely, and later had sex with her cannot be true because on that day he was at Pizza Express in Woking, and moreover at that time he had a mysterious medical condition that made him unable to sweat.

▪️That he has never partied and never allows photographs of him to be taken hugging anybody because he ‘doesn’t hug as a royal’ (claims contradicted by numerous tabloid photographs). 

▪️That he doesn’t regret his friendship with Epstein.

The interview was a staggering disaster that has managed to do further damage not only to Andrew’s already ruined reputation, but also to the British monarchy."

12 hours ago, Why Me said:

Not British but saw a snippet of the interview on the BBC website. Comes across as an entitled turdball. Not too bright either to defend his staying with Epstein as owing to being honorable.

The French had the right idea dealing with royalty.

well he was a Royal Navy Captain, they are not noted for their brains, or their judgement. ????

12 hours ago, nausea said:

No recollection is different from it never hsppened. I have no recollection of lots of things. I can tell you for sure what never happened. The guy should've stayed in the shadows, where he belongs. 

Exactly. Using the words No Recollection is just covering himself in case more evidence comes out. If he asked me or you about that incident we would say we definitely didn't do it, because we didn't do it and we know it.

Clearly a slime ball. You would think a life of incredible privilege would be enough for him but it seems he needs more. People in these positions should not be hanging out with convicted paedophile scumbags.

Archived