BANGKOK
PatrickC

Thai social security contributions

Hi,

I heard that you can reclaim your Thai social security contributions (7,500 Baht per year) if you leave Thailand permanently.

Is this correct and how do you do it?

• Like 1

Thank you - that thread seems to be on the topic of continuing contributions though. I want to see whether I can take them back out from my time working here. Any idea?

I did comment on that other thread as well to see whether anyone knows.

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

max is 750 per month is 9000 per year. can't upload the file , have a look in the first post in this thread:

socsec.pdf 13.35 MB · 2 downloads socsec.pdf 13.35 MB · 0 downloads

Worked this out. You most definitely can claim it back after you finish working here. Thanks for the link to the thread as well - researching through that thread and others helped me work out I can continue to contribute as a single payer to keep public medical access here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Cannot claim a refund to my knowledge.

Edit: seems you can !!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/790895-social-security-after-leaving-job/

Indeed you can - as I worked out thanks to you and another poster who linked other threads. Much appreciated. 

As I mentioned to the other poster - researching through that thread and others helped me work out I can continue to contribute as a single payer to keep public medical access here.

100% you can,i went to the Thai Labour Dept in Sriracha,they took me in,and gave them details of the Projects i had worked on, they had it all on their Computer system,apart from 1 project,which i had alerted them to,they called the agent immediately,and got it sorted,the refund was paid directly into my bank within a couple of days.

If you want to keep receiving benefits from the Thai SSO, you do not "continue" your monthly contributions. You have to apply for a separate "voluntary" program run by the SSO. I believe that scheme does not include unemployment insurance, since that was covered by the original scheme you were in.

The law for the second scheme requires an annual payment. This set fee hasn't changed for many years. Divided by 12, it works out to exactly B432/mo. It's true that the govt temporarily reduced the contribution amount, for a year I think, as a populist policy to relieve the financial hardship on the populace.

You can set it up with the SSO to automatically debit your bank account. The SSO doesn't charge a fee, it's up to the bank. 

i used to receive a blue envelope every month by mail from the SSO in Thai, but haven't received one in a long time. Now I get a SMS monthly.

The SSO has a list of hospitals for the second scheme. You have to select your provider hospital. I tried to select a government hospital, which I belonged to once under the original scheme, but was told they don't take patients under the second scheme. So your choice of hospitals might be limited, The private hospital that I selected is obviously not interested in keeping its patients in good health. All it cares about is keeping its expenses at a minimum.

Note that the second scheme also covers dental. The SSO reimbursed all my expenses to get a full set of dentures, except for the X-ray exam fees, which I forgot to include in my invoice to the SSO.

BTW, there is a very informative pamphlet in English detailing these plans. Be sure to pick one up at the reception desk.

There is a SSO office in Onnut.

Edited by 10years
added voluntary, pamphlet, office

13 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

100% you can,i went to the Thai Labour Dept in Sriracha,they took me in,and gave them details of the Projects i had worked on, they had it all on their Computer system,apart from 1 project,which i had alerted them to,they called the agent immediately,and got it sorted,the refund was paid directly into my bank within a couple of days.

And if I may ask are you over the age of 55 - I tried this today, and they told me I had to be over 55. You went to the labour department rather than the social security department?

5 hours ago, 10years said:

If you want to keep receiving benefits from the Thai SSO, you do not "continue" your monthly contributions. You have to apply for a separate "voluntary" program run by the SSO. I believe that scheme does not include unemployment insurance, since that was covered by the original scheme you were in.

The law for the second scheme requires an annual payment. This set fee hasn't changed for many years. Divided by 12, it works out to exactly B432/mo. It's true that the govt temporarily reduced the contribution amount, for a year I think, as a populist policy to relieve the financial hardship on the populace.

You can set it up with the SSO to automatically debit your bank account. The SSO doesn't charge a fee, it's up to the bank. 

i used to receive a blue envelope every month by mail from the SSO in Thai, but haven't received one in a long time. Now I get a SMS monthly.

The SSO has a list of hospitals for the second scheme. You have to select your provider hospital. I tried to select a government hospital, which I belonged to once under the original scheme, but was told they don't take patients under the second scheme. So your choice of hospitals might be limited, The private hospital that I selected is obviously not interested in keeping its patients in good health. All it cares about is keeping its expenses at a minimum.

Note that the second scheme also covers dental. The SSO reimbursed all my expenses to get a full set of dentures, except for the X-ray exam fees, which I forgot to include in my invoice to the SSO.

BTW, there is a very informative pamphlet in English detailing these plans. Be sure to pick one up at the reception desk.

There is a SSO office in Onnut.

I tried this today but they told me I needed to be listed in a house registration document. Do you know about this?