Sausages at last !

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 6:09 PM, Huckenfell said:

Dont know what that is. but if its Thai sausage, i am sure that it is bloody awful.

All sausages, worldwide are a way of using up scraps and less attractive bits of the animal.

The UK banger contains a large amount of cereal paste for binding and texture.

Issan "Saikoa" are fir me by far the best sausages in Thailand .....and 100% better than those appalling hot dog style things served up Everywhere from 7/11s to 5 star resorts. They appear to be made with that separated scrap meat paste treated with ammonium hydroxide, to make it pink.

Issan sausages are surprisingly close to UK style ones, but with a lot more chilli and the occasional noodle instead of cereal paste...

And like traditional UK sausage are served in a sheath of pig's intestine.

My friend and I tried these a couple of nights ago, with Brooks beans and proper chips, done in a deep fat fryer. Absolutely amazing! Thanks for the tip:)

Those looking for a pic are out of luck. First thing I did was repack them in to smaller bags, so I can pull 2 or 3 out in one go to defrost.

Description: Thick clear plastic bag of 12 frozen thick sausages, with a white no frills label that says something like KINGS sausages ect, with a 200 baht price tag. No other info needed unless they have sold out, and you can't find them.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, Airbagwill said:

All sausages, worldwide are a way of using up scraps and less attractive bits of the animal.

Issan "Saikoa" are fir me by far the best sausages in Thailand .....and 100% better than those appalling hot dog style things served up Everywhere from 7/11s to 5 star resorts. They appear to be made with that separated scrap meat paste treated with ammonium hydroxide, to make it pink.

Issan sausages are surprisingly close to UK style ones, but with a lot more chilli and the occasional noodle instead of cereal paste...

Make your own, they can be delicious.

4 minutes ago, Amusements said:

My friend and I tried these a couple of nights ago, with Brooks beans and proper chips, done in a deep fat fryer. Absolutely amazing! Thanks for the tip:)

Those looking for a pic are out of luck. First thing I did was repack them in to smaller bags, so I can pull 2 or 3 out in one go to defrost.

Description: Thick clear plastic bag of 12 frozen thick sausages, with a white no frills label that says something like KINGS sausages ect, with a 200 baht price tag. No other info needed unless they have sold out, and you can't find them.

Thanks, i agree they are very good.

Couldnt find the ones you mentioned in my local Makro but I did find the Bucher Brand which are also good and meaty. They had 3 - Bratwurst, Herb and Chilli (but sadlly the Chilli was sold out). Had not seen them before either.

In the photo they are in the black packaging one row down from the top. Sorry destroyed packaging but they have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/BucherThailand

1377290109_Buchersausages.jpg.d1d4bab18c27fe22d728de4df0000b7d.jpg

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

These are the best sausages I've found so far for barbecuing, only problem is at 169 baht a pack it's over a quid a sausage:

sausages.jpg

You are getting the wrong ones mate !  Go to MAKRO freezer next to Bacon look for KING Brand  in clear pack, 12 sausages 190 Bht.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Couldnt find the ones you mentioned in my local Makro but I did find the Bucher Brand which are also good and meaty. They had 3 - Bratwurst, Herb and Chilli (but sadlly the Chilli was sold out). Had not seen them before either.

In the photo they are in the black packaging one row down from the top. Sorry destroyed packaging but they have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/BucherThailand

1377290109_Buchersausages.jpg.d1d4bab18c27fe22d728de4df0000b7d.jpg

Get away from that display cabinet and look in the upright freezer  where they have the Bacon packs, look for KING BRAND in clear packet.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, Airbagwill said:

What a load of <deleted> !  Decent sausages are made with good ingredients , proper ratio of Lean meat and Fatty meat, correct amount of cereal and good seasoning. I don't know where you get your sausages, but good luck !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Get away from that display cabinet and look in the upright freezer  where they have the Bacon packs, look for KING BRAND in clear packet.

This is the only link I can find to the company that makes these sausages. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=https://www.kssfood.com/en/contact-us/&prev=search

Can be found in the deep freeze cases as others have stated/

KING SAUSAGE is not to be confused with Sausage King, in Chiang Mai, who produce their own line of good quality sausages & nacon etc.. However they aren't sold in supermarkets to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Huckenfell said:

What a load of <deleted> !  Decent sausages are made with good ingredients , proper ratio of Lean meat and Fatty meat, correct amount of cereal and good seasoning. I don't know where you get your sausages, but good luck !

You have absolutely no idea of food history at all. Why do you think they needed sausages in first place.......

9 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

You have absolutely no idea of food history at all. Why do you think they needed sausages in first place.......

I don't know which country is your homeland, but in most western countries health regulations have strict rules concerning such items as sausages. It used to happen a few years ago, but not any more. I rather think that you are living in the past or still remember tales that your mum used to tell you.

Edited by Huckenfell

28 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I don't know which country is your homeland, but in most western countries health regulations have strict rules concerning such items as sausages. It used to happen a few years ago, but not any more. I rather think that you are living in the past or still remember tales that your mum used to tell you.

Well said, a quality sausage is made with quality ingredient. A hot dog wiener is made of beaks and <deleted>!

i just shake my head when I order sausage and a wiener comes on the plate. One thing I refuse to eat n Asia is a wiener. I know what goes into a wiener in the west, I can only guess what goes into it in Asia. 

Edited by Ron jeremy

On 12/10/2019 at 5:45 AM, Huckenfell said:

Good info.  Lots of places in BKK had a dizzying selection of sausages.  Problem is, most of them were garbage.  And when I did find one I liked, it was usually "finish" next time I went to look for it.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

You appear to be rather uninformed or naive when it comes to the UK sausage...

A traditional sausage is a way of using up the last  bits of a carcass that can't be sold in big lumps … .this includes scraps of muscle off the bones other tissue and intestine.

"Traditionally, sausage makers would salt various tissues and organs such as scraps, organ meats, blood, and fat to help preserve them. They would then stuff them into tubular casings made from the cleaned intestines of the animal, producing the characteristic cylindrical shape."

In UK, sausages usually contain a "mix of freshly ground meat, herbs, breadcrumbs, gristle, bones, sinew, rusk, soya, colours, preservatives, polyphosphates, nitrates, sulphites and flavour enhancers?" Independant.

UK sausages (pork) have to be a minimum of 65% "meat"....

At present "meat" includes fat (up to half of the meat can be fat), connective tissue (skin rind and gristle) and mechanically recovered meat, known as MRM.

MRM is a pulp which is produced in abattoirs when high-powered jets of water are sprayed on animal carcasses after all the decent cuts of meat have been rendered

Since 2002,  only pure meat (ie muscle) can be described as meat and the rest will has to be labelled as fat, mechanically recovered meat or rind.

Up to 30% of sausages will be rusk (a powdered bread) or soya, which is used to bulk up the banger. It also helps to bind it together. Water is added to moisten the cereal (rusk)

Sausages are allowed to use up to 10% water without declaring it.

For thousands of years lamb intestines have been used to encase sausages, in recent years, makers have used collagen casings instead as they, are slightly cheaper.

Collagen is a manufactured product, a bit like plastic, but it comes from a meat source, such as cattle hides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

You appear to be rather uninformed or naive when it comes to the UK sausage...

A traditional sausage is a way of using up the last  bits of a carcass that can't be sold in big lumps … .this includes scraps of muscle off the bones other tissue and intestine.

"Traditionally, sausage makers would salt various tissues and organs such as scraps, organ meats, blood, and fat to help preserve them. They would then stuff them into tubular casings made from the cleaned intestines of the animal, producing the characteristic cylindrical shape."

In UK, sausages usually contain a "mix of freshly ground meat, herbs, breadcrumbs, gristle, bones, sinew, rusk, soya, colours, preservatives, polyphosphates, nitrates, sulphites and flavour enhancers?" Independant.

UK sausages (pork) have to be a minimum of 65% "meat"....

At present "meat" includes fat (up to half of the meat can be fat), connective tissue (skin rind and gristle) and mechanically recovered meat, known as MRM.

MRM is a pulp which is produced in abattoirs when high-powered jets of water are sprayed on animal carcasses after all the decent cuts of meat have been rendered

Since 2002,  only pure meat (ie muscle) can be described as meat and the rest will has to be labelled as fat, mechanically recovered meat or rind.

Up to 30% of sausages will be rusk (a powdered bread) or soya, which is used to bulk up the banger. It also helps to bind it together. Water is added to moisten the cereal (rusk)

Sausages are allowed to use up to 10% water without declaring it.

For thousands of years lamb intestines have been used to encase sausages, in recent years, makers have used collagen casings instead as they, are slightly cheaper.

Collagen is a manufactured product, a bit like plastic, but it comes from a meat source, such as cattle hides.

Yes  ...  but they taste so damn good. I could murder a sausage and fried onion butty, with mustard on. Many moons ago I had a Saturday job in Tesco butchers in the UK and that's how sausages were made then, as you describe. 

44 minutes ago, champers said:

Yes  ...  but they taste so damn good. I could murder a sausage and fried onion butty, with mustard on. Many moons ago I had a Saturday job in Tesco butchers in the UK and that's how sausages were made then, as you describe. 

I agree...i have few qualms about eating sausages or offal.... So long as it is hygienically made and doesn't contain harmful additives or poorly farmed meat .

However I believe some posts on this thread show that many people are uninformed about what goes into our food and have some very naive preconceived archaic notions about what is or isn't edible

Edited by Airbagwill

17 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

I agree...i have few qualms about eating sausages or offal.... So long as it is hygienically made and doesn't contain harmful additives or poorly farmed meat .

However I believe some posts on this thread show that many people are uninformed about what goes into our food and have some very naive preconceived archaic notions about what is or isn't edible

17 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

This subject is starting to get "waylaid" by imaginary sausage experts. I am only interested in the sausage which i discovered at MAKRO under the brand name "King Brand"   I also have in the past and will again soon be making my own with 20% fat (Belly pork) 80% Pork  Shoulder (Lean)  Rusk ( Yeastless) and Seasoning. I also use Leaks when i feel like it. The day has gone when all the rubbish was used, no butcher would get away with it today.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Huckenfell said:

I make my own sausages.

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

This subject is starting to get "waylaid" by imaginary sausage experts. I am only interested in the sausage which i discovered at MAKRO under the brand name "King Brand"   I also have in the past and will again soon be making my own with 20% fat (Belly pork) 80% Pork  Shoulder (Lean)  Rusk ( Yeastless) and Seasoning. I also use Leaks when i feel like it. The day has gone when all the rubbish was used, no butcher would get away with it today.

That is ”today". 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, Huckenfell said:

I was just going to say same thing ,makro in the frozen freezer The bacon’ not bad either .the strips are long so i cut them in half.

FF3A6008-399D-4E83-AC6A-438B7CEC3770.jpeg

• Like 1