Inguinal Hernia

i Phad

My husband has had a non-symptomatic inguinal hernia for over a decade. Planning a trip back to Thailand now and he thinks it's time to sew things up. No mesh, though, he won't do that.

Experiences, locations, suggestions, and costs, anyone?

it is a easy operation and need to put a mesh,they do now laparoscopic surgery,only 3 little holes in the belly , in the best hospitals,3 nights,if open surgery between 200.000 and 300.000 bath,3 nights also,my insurance pay 235000 for open surgery in Sao Paulo hospital in Hua Hin.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

it is a easy operation and need to put a mesh,they do now laparoscopic surgery,only 3 little holes in the belly , in the best hospitals,3 nights,if open surgery between 200.000 and 300.000 bath,3 nights also,my insurance pay 235000 for open surgery in Sao Paulo hospital in Hua Hin.

300k baht? Seriously? $10,000?

Geez, the same operation here in the US can be had for $3800 if paid in cash. That's the surgeon, facility, and anesthesiologist. 

Have costs in Thailand gone up that much?

• Like 1

If this hernia is the same as mine (in the groin ) I am today just back from BDMS Phitsanulok from seeing the surgeon re operation. Will be a general,1 maybe 2 nights in hospital depending on recovery. I have rechecked the cost today as the initial quote of 45,000-50,000 baht was considered by some to be too low. The nurse confirmed the initial 45,000 and said there could be an add on for blood test,x-ray and "internal medicine" doctor's fee (not a surgeon ) which would bring it to around 50,000 baht. This includes 1 night room charge also. Mesh will be used. Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Geez, the same operation here in the US can be had for $3800 if paid in cash. That's the surgeon, facility, and anesthesiologist. 

Yes, what many private hospitals charge foreigners - especially with insurance - has gone up that much. But most private hospitals still charge less than 200000.

In Western Europe, if paid out of pocket (i.e. not paid for by social security,  NHS or a similar system) it costs about 1000 USD. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

If this hernia is the same as mine (in the groin ) I am today just back from BDMS Phitsanulok from seeing the surgeon re operation. Will be a general,1 maybe 2 nights in hospital depending on recovery. I have rechecked the cost today as the initial quote of 45,000-50,000 baht was considered by some to be too low. The nurse confirmed the initial 45,000 and said there could be an add on for blood test,x-ray and "internal medicine" doctor's fee (not a surgeon ) which would bring it to around 50,000 baht. This includes 1 night room charge also. Mesh will be used. Hope this helps.

That's more like it. Thanks for the info.

Edited by i Phad

Always a mesh, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya 130 000 baht, 1 night stay in the hospital. 

The wanted to keep me for 2, but i ran away.

Medication to take home an extra 4000 baht from memory, though i would not bother with it. Pain killers can buy cheaper from local pharmacy.

Also my 130000 baht was paid by insurance, unsure if paying cash would be more or less, but have a feeling can negotiate.

6 hours ago, uhuh said:

Yes, what many private hospitals charge foreigners - especially with insurance - has gone up that much. But most private hospitals still charge less than 200000.

In Western Europe, if paid out of pocket (i.e. not paid for by social security,  NHS or a similar system) it costs about 1000 USD. 

Guess there goes medical tourism in Thailand.

I have friends who dropped their insurance in the US because the co-pay and deductible were higher than paying cash, under the Affordable Care Act that keeps cash price lower. That is funny, using insurance after paying premium is higher than paying cash.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

Costs have gone up quite a bit, but what he is quoting is for laparoscopic. Open procedure at private hospital around 100k -- a little more in Bangkok and less upcountry.

Don't know where you are finding this for $3800 in US. Average cost is over $10,000.

In a government hospital hernia repair (open) will be only around 20-30k.

• 1 month later...

I just came across this thread.

I had a non- mesh repair of an inguinal hernia last April, done by Kevin Petersen in the USA.

I highly recommend him.

https://www.noinsurancesurgery.com/

I read a great deal beforehand.

Mesh is an invasive medical device.

For me, there is no question that non-mesh is the way to go.

Petersen is one of a handful of surgeons who are experienced and specialize in non-mesh repair - unfortunately a dying art.

Edited by JimmyJ

Hi all-as a follow up to my previous post on this forum-Sat. 11th Jan. admitted to BDMS Phitsanulok for my hernia repair. Long story short,all good ,1 night stay,doctors and nurses etc fantastic,food good and the cost- 48,790 Baht all up. I was quoted 45,000 plus a few extras for this so an excellent result. Mesh type repair. Very happy with the result. Self funded not insurance.

• Thanks 1