DJI Osmo Action camera

Dario

Our daughter Amy (10) is playing tennis. She's training every free day she has and she has started national competion. Until now I have videotaped all of her trainings starting with a Samsung and since one year with an Oppo A3s. Even recording on 1080p the picture is not like I want it to be and with the Oppo often out of focus. Therefore I have decided to buy a new gen action camera and I chose the DJI Osmo Action. I will have it tomorrow. I only bought the bare camera with no accessories whatsoever. Yes, one thing I ordered is a SanDisk Extreme 128GB micro SD card.

I can imagine that there must be some owners of dji osmo action on this forum. I would like to get some advice of which essential accessories I should buy. The reason for my posting is to get some people to advice me quality items which would still do their job in let's say 5 or 6 years when better cameras than this one have hit the market. I'd be happy for any good advice from my fellow members. Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, Dario said:

I have videotaped

Can't help you with accessory advice but can help you modernize your terminology. "Videotape" is a thing of the past. Today, you'd say "I have recorded all of her training sessions on video".

There is no tape as recoding is done today on digital memory.

Good luck with your champion.

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

Can't help you with accessory advice but can help you modernize your terminology. "Videotape" is a thing of the past. Today, you'd say "I have recorded all of her training sessions on video".

Agreeing with your teminology comment. On BBC TV they still say 'Roll VT' and use the word 'footage'. 

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Agreeing with your teminology comment. On BBC TV they still say 'Roll VT' and use the word 'footage'. 

These changes take a while to embrace. I was in the video equipment business even before Betamax and VHS were introduced. I recall one of my very own staff (and customers) who couldn't adapt to the word video tape. They called it film for many years to come.

49 minutes ago, Dario said:

Looks like I'm the only foreigner in Thailand owning a DJI Osmo action. I revert now to the dji forum.

After a wait of 20 minutes you are out the door?  You do understand people read forums when they have a chance - it is not yet a required brain implant.

if you want to view content made on that camera (up until last month) you could view content from Overstay Road https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=L7YAf_-3GZNBYIeY&u=/user/MarkBlackard%3Ffeature%3Dem-uploademail

Seems to be excellent on gimbel at maintaining same horizon so very good for vehicle or walking.  Audio not so good.  Control an issue on gimbel.  Not waterproof.  That is my take from his comments and viewing his vlog.

Searching Overstay Road Youtube, I found only the Osmo Pocket. The Osmo Action is a different offering. 

The Pocket is a very compact camera with a 3 axis gimbal. The Action is an "action" camera, along the lines of the GoPro series. 

Surprisingly, the Osmo Action, with RockSteady stabilization, is much smoother when walking, than the Pocket. But, as you state, the pocket will hold the horizon better. The Pocket will also smooth out panning.

Walking creates a "bounce". The gimbal will compensate for tilting the camera. But, it doesn't compensate for "up and down" motion. The stabilization in The Actions seems to handle that better.

47 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry was not aware of that - had taken the DJI Osmo as enough of a mouthful.  ????

Yes; DJI fires off some new mindfart about every month. Unfortunately, it is often at the cost of not resolving issues with existing products! 

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Hi Neeray,

thank you for educating me. You are very correct, videotaping is a thing of the past. I will adjust the writings on "Amy's Tennis Training Channel" on Youtube.

And thank you for the Good Luck wishes for Amy. She certainly needs them!

Archived