Quartararo on pole for MotoGP season ender in Valencia

rooster59

Quartararo on pole for MotoGP season ender in Valencia

2019-11-16T153346Z_1_LYNXMPEFAF0I5_RTROPTP_4_MOTOR-MOTOGP-VALENCIA.JPG

MotoGP - Valencia Grand Prix - Circuit Ricardo Tormo, Cheste, Valencia, Spain - November 16, 2019 Petronas Yamaha SRT's Fabio Quartararo after qualifying in pole position REUTERS/Heino Kalis

(Reuters) - French rookie Fabio Quartararo denied MotoGP champion Marc Marquez a home pole position in the final qualifying session of the season at the Valencia circuit in eastern Spain on Saturday.

The Petronas Yamaha rider lapped the Ricardo Tormo track with a best time of one minute 29.978 seconds, 0.032 quicker than Honda's Marquez, who sealed his sixth world championship last month.

The pole was Quartararo's sixth of the season, and he will be hoping for a breakthrough first win in the top category on Sunday.

Australian Jack Miller, for the non-works Pramac Ducati team, completed the front row in third place.

Italian great Valentino Rossi qualified only 12th for Yamaha.

Marquez's compatriot and team mate Jorge Lorenzo, a three times MotoGP champion with 43 career poles, will line up for his last race before retirement in 16th place.

(Writing by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Christian Radnedge)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-17

Fabio already holds a MotoGP record that will be very hard to beat - most poles without a win (6).  I sure hope he figures out how to beat Marquez today - IMO block him and slow him until he passes and then follow and push him as hard as he can - but wait til last lap to overtake - if he slows down then stay behind him and bring those behind into it - he will soon speed back up (especially if Rossi is coming). 

13 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

IMO block him and slow him until he passes and then follow and push him as hard as he can - but wait til last lap to overtake

Classic Rossi tactic when he was in his prime. Also made sure that he had more life in his tyres at the end of the race. With Maquez, not that easy to stick with him as the race progresses.

Quartararo, has been the highlight of the season, has a real go at it, would love to see him win one. Thoroughly deserved.

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Classic Rossi tactic when he was in his prime. Also made sure that he had more life in his tyres at the end of the race. With Maquez, not that easy to stick with him as the race progresses.

Quartararo, has been the highlight of the season, has a real go at it, would love to see him win one. Thoroughly deserved.

Yep - I remember that Rossi was brilliant at it - a very smart rider he was too.

Marquez would not be easy to stick with for sure, but if you let him follow you then he will 'kamakazi' on last lap and win. After what Dovizioso did to him he has learned - I dont like him - but he has got a bit smarter (or his dad has).   

Jack will sit behind them both and when they stuff it up, he will fly past on the last lap and do a 'Bradbury' ????

1 minute ago, AussieBob18 said:

Jack will sit behind them both and when they stuff it up, he will fly past on the last lap and do a 'Bradbury' 

Miller's a good rider and a nice guy but you're dreaming on that one mate. Doubt that he'll even make the podium. Marquez and Vinales home circuit, expect them both on the podium. Crutchlow might feature if he can stay on his bike for the whole race.

9 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Yep - I remember that Rossi was brilliant at it - a very smart rider he was too.

Marquez would not be easy to stick with for sure, but if you let him follow you then he will 'kamakazi' on last lap and win. After what Dovizioso did to him he has learned - I dont like him - but he has got a bit smarter (or his dad has).   

Jack will sit behind them both and when they stuff it up, he will fly past on the last lap and do a 'Bradbury' ????

Miller went with your plan, didn't come off though. Still, solid race by Miller. Marquez just unbeatable this season. I wonder who will get the second Honda ride in 2020? Rumour has it that it's Marquez's brother but Jack might be in with a shout.

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Miller went with your plan, didn't come off though. Still, solid race by Miller. Marquez just unbeatable this season. I wonder who will get the second Honda ride in 2020? Rumour has it that it's Marquez's brother but Jack might be in with a shout.

Just watched the race - Marquez way too good.  Commentators saying Marquez's brother will be at Honda - the hint is that the Father said 'or else'.  Jack will probably get the 2nd Ducati ride with Dovi.  I wonder what Rossi has in plan for 2020 - he has been 'cruising' for a while now.  

Said I do not like Marquez - and his bahaviour after the race speaks volumes of how big an ahole he is.  Lorenzo retired as a 5 times world champion and Marquez just ignored him during the after race period.  The commentators were dissappointed and spoke about it - clearly there were big issues there. I reckon Lorenzo was pushed out and forced to retire early - I think he wanted another season a few weeks ago.    

Archived