Golf Equipment

YoungBrit

14 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Where are you? 

Ooops - Chiang Mai Forum - dooh !!

My recommendation is this (lived there for a few years):

Go to the Stardome golf club - stick to the driving range for a while (1-2 months).

Pick a couple of the golf club suppliers that have shops in there on the driving range (ther are many of them).

Ask for a price for a fitout for a basic set of golf clubs and some lessons.

There is a shop about half way along to the left when entering that has lots of shafts on display - I used them a bit.

Get lessons and practice hitting only on the driving range - they have automatic machines (no bending over to set balls).

After a month or so (seriously) and only when you are hittinjg all of your clubs OK with a decent swing, then come one day and hit a few balls to warm up - and then go have 9 holes practice.

Dont extend to 18 holes until you are comfortable and able to do 9 OK.

Over the years I have seen many guys try to 'come back' to golf by playing - big mistake - the range is far far better.

1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

Ooops - Chiang Mai Forum - dooh !!

My recommendation is this (lived there for a few years):

Go to the Stardome golf club - stick to the driving range for a while (1-2 months).

Pick a couple of the golf club suppliers that have shops in there on the driving range (ther are many of them).

Ask for a price for a fitout for a basic set of golf clubs and some lessons.

There is a shop about half way along to the left when entering that has lots of shafts on display - I used them a bit.

Get lessons and practice hitting only on the driving range - they have automatic machines (no bending over to set balls).

After a month or so (seriously) and only when you are hittinjg all of your clubs OK with a decent swing, then come one day and hit a few balls to warm up - and then go have 9 holes practice.

Dont extend to 18 holes until you are comfortable and able to do 9 OK.

Over the years I have seen many guys try to 'come back' to golf by playing - big mistake - the range is far far better.

Thanks for the advice, I will check those shops. Yes, happy to book some lessons again, any idea how much roughly?

1 hour ago, YoungBrit said:

Thanks for the advice, I will check those shops. Yes, happy to book some lessons again, any idea how much roughly?

If I recall they were asking about 300-400 Baht an hour. But my memory aint what it used to be.

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Golf is very expensive, equipment is the relatively cheap part...facebook has second hand clubs on sale, that's a good place to look, other than that best to buy in falangland if planning a trip.

FYI, golf can cost 2k-3k a round so over the month could be 39k

You are playing on the wrong courses. ????

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

You are playing on the wrong courses. ????

Depends where you are plus could play the 9 hole courses without caddy to save money but if you are planning to play proper 18 hole courses like Khoa Keow, Green Valley, Pattavia in Pattaya area 3 times a week expect 25k-40k a month, top end with cart, green fee, caddy fee, caddy tip, transport

For me in Pattaya golf is 10x the price of my course in UK

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends where you are plus could play the 9 hole courses without caddy to save money but if you are planning to play proper 18 hole courses like Khoa Keow, Green Valley, Pattavia in Pattaya area 3 times a week expect 25k-40k a month, top end with cart, green fee, caddy fee, caddy tip, transport

As I said, you are definitely playing the wrong courses and after all this is the Chiang Mai forum not the Pattaya forum.

And I agree with Bill97 ,although the class and standards of the people playing the improper courses leave a lot to be desired (I have to include myself in this category) they are generally great fun,and of course found on the cheaper courses!

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I’m a member at Maejo, which is a fine course used for professional tournaments. I play twice a week and walk the course. 

If I played 3x a week and “with cart, green fee, caddy fee, caddy tip” the cost per month would be less than 18,000 per month (inclusive of the membership cost amortized over 144 rounds per year). 

So if one plays semi-frequently a membership could reduce your overall cost. 

2 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I’m a member at Maejo, which is a fine course used for professional tournaments. I play twice a week and walk the course. 

If I played 3x a week and “with cart, green fee, caddy fee, caddy tip” the cost per month would be less than 18,000 per month (inclusive of the membership cost amortized over 144 rounds per year). 

So if one plays semi-frequently a membership could reduce your overall cost. 

I will send you a PM if that's ok. 

Archived