Family Friendly Resort - Pattaya?

JT65

Hi All

I know I may get hammered for asking this question on here but here goes.

I live in Chiang Mai and we are keen to drive down to either Pattaya or Hua Hin for a short 5 day holiday with the family. We just want to spend some time near the ocean.

I have a newborn baby, a 13 year old boy and a 19 year old daughter. 

Not looking at staying in the center of Pattaya. Interested to know any resorts that may be family friendly with fair beaches on the outskirts. Don't really need anything super flash. Just a nice pool and clean rooms. We just want to relax and chill for 5 days near the ocean.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

For family it might be worth going with higher class hotels and a discount rather than trying for lower priced.  You can always eat somewhere else.  Lower priced venues are likely to be where the 'Pattaya' action is most obvious.

In years past we always stayed in Jomtien as did most Thai couples or at Pattaya 4 star places with large discounts.  If you stay on beach roads should not be much of an issue (but admit have not actually been there for a few years now).

We preferred Cha Am in most recent years.  Not the Disneyland of Pattaya but some nice drives along beach and more Thai.  

I would avoid anywhere in the main gulf and go round the hook, south of Pattaya, which is where you will find clean waters, so you won't be itching and scratching when you get out.

Nam Sai beach near the Sattahip naval base is excellent, and has a very good range of nice places to stay, some right beside the water. Easy to find too as 10 minutes past Utapao airport.

When I have friends over, this is where we always go.

You can check it out here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=nam+sai+beach+sattahip

The water parks mentioned earlier are both pretty close too.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would avoid anywhere in the main gulf and go round the hook, south of Pattaya, which is where you will find clean waters, so you won't be itching and scratching when you get out.

Nam Sai beach near the Sattahip naval base is excellent, and has a very good range of nice places to stay, some right beside the water. Easy to find too as 10 minutes past Utapao airport.

When I have friends over, this is where we always go.

You can check it out here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=nam+sai+beach+sattahip

The water parks mentioned earlier are both pretty close too.

Thanks so much for your help. Will be looking for resorts in this area as it sounds the perfect place. Thanks again.

9 hours ago, JT65 said:

Thanks so much for your help. Will be looking for resorts in this area as it sounds the perfect place. Thanks again.

Be warned, on that very link that was provided by darksidedog the google reviews shows that 7 foreigners who put in a review all stated that there is NO ACCESS to foreigners to this area. One person complained that he was with his Thai family and they were allowed to go in but he wasn't because he was a farang. Please don't shoot the messenger, click the google reviews then click the foreigner reviews. 

6 hours ago, bmanly said:

Be warned, on that very link that was provided by darksidedog the google reviews shows that 7 foreigners who put in a review all stated that there is NO ACCESS to foreigners to this area. One person complained that he was with his Thai family and they were allowed to go in but he wasn't because he was a farang. Please don't shoot the messenger, click the google reviews then click the foreigner reviews. 

Thanks for the update. I did note that on some of the reviews when I looked it up. I don't need that issue so will probably give the beach a miss.

Thanks again

There is so much to do for children and young people around Pattaya and if you have your own transport staying nearby makes it possible to avoid some of the tour buses. I took my growing family there many times a year through the nineties and noughties and in terms of attractions there are even more places now. 

But as people said, Koh Chang is great too!

Rooster

Go somewhere else, maybe the islands, or the Ademan coast north of Phuket.  Pattaya is a dump and not suitable for children.  Avoid like the plague. Koh Chang is a nice enough town, but nothing much to do and the beaches are terrible, full of rubbish and soi dogs and deep shelving water.  Go east of Rayong and the beaches are very nice and some fairly new 3* hotels there too. Personally, as I did with my kids moons ago, the further south you go the better. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Go somewhere else, maybe the islands, or the Ademan coast north of Phuket.  Pattaya is a dump and not suitable for children.  Avoid like the plague. Koh Chang is a nice enough town, but nothing much to do and the beaches are terrible, full of rubbish and soi dogs and deep shelving water.  Go east of Rayong and the beaches are very nice and some fairly new 3* hotels there too. Personally, as I did with my kids moons ago, the further south you go the better. 

Great, another useless diatribe from a born again evangelist whose view of Thailand is based on a 3 day binge with a Soi 6 ladyboy. ????

Koh Samet - Sao Keaw Beach resort - great for a family  stay.

There are also.loads of hotels in Pattaya that are good for the family, but the beaches are not quite up to the mark.

Hua Hin is better, loads of good family hotels on the beac, but the sea is never that nice. 

Chantaburi is a decent option.

3 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Great, another useless diatribe from a born again evangelist whose view of Thailand is based on a 3 day binge with a Soi 6 ladyboy. ????

sorry, what?  No idea what you are talking about. I was commenting specifically on Pattaya, which is indeed a sleazy, polluted, crime/scam ridden, traffic nightmare, dump of a place.  Also on Koh Chang beaches, where I have to dodge rubbish and dog turds to even see the ocean.  Not sure what lady boys and Soi 6 have to do with anything.  Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

sorry, what?  No idea what you are talking about. I was commenting specifically on Pattaya, which is indeed a sleazy, polluted, crime/scam ridden, traffic nightmare, dump of a place.  Also on Koh Chang beaches, where I have to dodge rubbish and dog turds to even see the ocean.  Not sure what lady boys and Soi 6 have to do with anything.  Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? 

There are some lovely resorts in Pattaya which are also great for the kids (Z-thru Etc), also kids activities (Harbourland etc).,., 

Your comments seem to be based on one area of Pattaya, a common putdown for the judgemental, illinformed or those whose only exposure to Pattaya the seedy side.

You can't even see the ocean for dog turds???  Exaggerate much? 

That's like someone saying we cant read your comments for all the unhinged negative bias !!!! 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I've been to Koh Chang a couple or three times, never had a problem, we stayed (9 of us) on white sands beach, the rooms looked out over the pool and beach to the ocean, the beach was always clean, never had any problems with soi dogs and you could walk out more than 100 mtrs from the shore and the water only just came up to my chest, so all I can say is that it must have gone down hill rapidly since my last visit.

Plenty of bars and restaurants outside our hotel and with transport it's easy to get around, I really like it there.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are some lovely resorts in Pattaya which are also great for the kids (Z-thru Etc), also kids activities (Harbourland etc).,., 

Your comments seem to be based on one area of Pattaya, a common putdown for the judgemental, illinformed or those whose only exposure to Pattaya the seedy side.

That's like someone saying we cant read your comments for all the unhinged negative bias !!!! 

My opinion.  We were all asked by the OP to give an opinion and I did.  Yes, it won't be everyone's view, but it's mine, so I passed it on. Yes, there are a lot of things for the kids to do in Pattaya, but the place does not warrant a visit for that sole reason. The negatives in my view, outweigh the positives. For that reason, I stopped going to the City with my kids over 10 years ago. The last time, we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, nice place and good for kids.  Great for our daughter, but even she said afterwards that she didn't want to go back there.  Very perceptive for a 12 year old, as she was at the time.   

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I've been to Koh Chang a couple or three times, never had a problem, we stayed (9 of us) on white sands beach, the rooms looked out over the pool and beach to the ocean, the beach was always clean, never had any problems with soi dogs and you could walk out more than 100 mtrs from the shore and the water only just came up to my chest, so all I can say is that it must have gone down hill rapidly since my last visit.

Plenty of bars and restaurants outside our hotel and with transport it's easy to get around, I really like it there.

sorry sorry, my bad.  I misread the post .  I was talking about Ban Chang,  Apologies to all. Koh Chang is a great place to visit. 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

many apologies to all.  I meant Ban Chang not Koh Change.  Koh Chang e is a nice place.  Note to self, read the fxxxing post before typing. 

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Thousands live in Pattaya see your view as ridiculous,  one sided and paranoid. Were you the victim of a crime or scam? Pattaya is one of the safest cities in the world for visitors. As for sleaze- you looked for it and found it. But people like you hang plastic fig leaves on classical statues...You find so much and so many things sleazy you would complain about topless bathing on a European beach.

I think Pattaya is much better than its "reputation" suggests, with great shopping and food venues. If you want to avoid the seedier side of Pattaya you can easily do so. However, I would never take children to any of the beaches ... if that is an essential part of the vacation then I think you'd be better off in Hua Hin.

38 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why would the OP choose Pattaya when he can go to Jomtien,  Hua Hin or Rayong? Anyway Im sure his kids will enjoy walking street. Less sleaze than the average hip hop video. Less nudity than on a European beach.

Noting the point of confusion, since Pattaya City includes Jomtien, plus a lot of square miles north of Naklua and south of Jomtien past Ban Amphur. It is not only Central Pattaya.

He77, Pilot man's mud hut that is hidden in the jungle and fortified against Ho Chi Minh may even be in Pattaya city limits.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:49 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thousands live in Pattaya see your view as ridiculous,  one sided and paranoid. Were you the victim of a crime or scam? Pattaya is one of the safest cities in the world for visitors. As for sleaze- you looked for it and found it. But people like you hang plastic fig leaves on classical statues...You find so much and so many things sleazy you would complain about topless bathing on a European beach.

I don't agree with much that you have written.  I haven't been scammed, or mugged, as I take care not to be in those situations.  I have also travelled the World and , in my opinion, Pattaya is one of the very least attractive places to visit and holiday in.  Nothing paranoid about it, I just think that it is dirty, , noisy, badly planned, congested, polluted, scam ridden holes I have ever been in and that includes a few East and West African resorts.  Just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't make their opinion any more ridiculous that yours.  Actually, your comments remind me of another reason I don't like Pattaya,  many  of the unsavoury folk that you see around the place, local and farang. 

Archived