Good paint for a front gate

GregTN

I am seeking recommendations for a paint to use on my metal front gate that receives constant sun light.  Everything I have tried so far last about 6 months before the color starts fading and about another 6 months before I need to repaint it.  In the past I have used brush on enamel and then switched to can sprayed on lacquer and had similar results with both.  I like the ease of the spray paint but there is not a lot selection to chose from here.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Which is likely why many people seem to pay the cost for SS gates these days (and the aluminum that seemed to be the fad earlier).  But a good primer and paint should last longer than a year (but may vary by color).  Our biggest help was change to round steel pipe construction which not only does not rust it also seems to keep fresh paint looking much longer.  Sorry can not remember what paint was used but know it was a better quality brand.  

I have considered SS and that may be the ultimate option.  I am not having any issues with the paint sticking, it just fades and looks really dull.  The gate itself is in very good condition and if I could even get away with painting every couple of years I would be happy.  I have been painting it brown which I am sure is not helping.

11 minutes ago, Pogust said:

I would suggest polyurethane paint. Only problem is it dries so fast it needs to be sprayed on. Will be difficult with a paintbrush. That is almost strong as epoxy and stands sunlight well.

I was considering the purchase of an airless sprayer to spray a top coat and then finishing it off with polyurethane.  I have tried the clear coats they sale in the spray cans on other outdoor projects and it has yellowed over time.  I am not real sure what is actually in that paint.

4 minutes ago, GregTN said:

I was considering the purchase of an airless sprayer to spray a top coat and then finishing it off with polyurethane.  I have tried the clear coats they sale in the spray cans on other outdoor projects and it has yellowed over time.  I am not real sure what is actually in that paint.

Polyurethanes are great but present a problem when you need to repaint. IMO a good high gloss paint ot a urethane fortified oil base  paint is sufficient 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Polyurethanes are great

Great until you become allergic - then it becomes very unpleasant.  For me had no issues for first week of doing furniture but then hit hard and years later can not breath near fresh polyurethane. 

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

rust o leum, home pro in the old carrefour store in pattaya stock it, not sure where you are but not all homepros stock it - https://www.google.com/search?q=rust+o+leaum&oq=rust+o+leaum&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Well I used the green and it has lost its shine ...I won't use it again ...for stopping rust it is okay

18 hours ago, GregTN said:

I am in Chiang Mai.  I will check our Home pro for availability.  I no they used to make a UV resistant clear spray.  I checked Lazada and didn’t find anything.

Rustoleum is certainly stocked in Chiang Mai's Homepro on the Hangdong Road next to Big C, but I believe not in the San Sai store - no idea why, but there you go!

I'm not aware of anywhere else in Chiang Mai that stocks it.

I use Lobster brand, have been for years until the other day and the hardware store didn't have Cherry Red so I bought Mandarin Duck.....which is not so good.  Lobster can be thinned with turps and dries in a few hours, but not the Duck. My roof trusses where still sticky after 24 hours.   Next pot I tried automotive thinners and the drying process was slow but by the end of the day at least it was dry enough to handle.  Rust-O-leum I have never tried but for the price it would want to be pretty good!

10 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I use Lobster brand, have been for years until the other day and the hardware store didn't have Cherry Red so I bought Mandarin Duck.....which is not so good.  Lobster can be thinned with turps and dries in a few hours, but not the Duck. My roof trusses where still sticky after 24 hours.   Next pot I tried automotive thinners and the drying process was slow but by the end of the day at least it was dry enough to handle.  Rust-O-leum I have never tried but for the price it would want to be pretty good!

I usually eat before I go shopping. otherwise I buy products names "Lobster" "Mandarin Duck" or "Cherry red'" LOL

Well after shopping around and asking different people I bought the Lobster brand.  It was pretty cheaply priced at 110bt for a small can.  I wasn’t really going for low price just good quality and UV protection but after the conversation between the shop owner and my wife, that is what I walked out with.  I purchased just one small can to test paint the post and see how it last.  I found the old paints that I used the two times before that faded quickly.  One was enamel shark brand and the other was Kobe spray paint.    

On 11/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, JimShortz said:

You really can't go wrong with the Rustoleum from Homepro - if Lobster doesn't work out just buy Rustoleum - it really isn't that expensive and it is quality paint...

I went out today and bought a can of Rustoleum brown at Homepro and going to test it against the Lobster and see how they work out.  I will paint the post with Lobster and the gate with Rustoleum and see what happens in about a year.  I went with the brush paint because the spray paint was between 300-400b per can.   Thanks for the advice.

32 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes, it’s exactly the same in appearance as Rustoleum.

i can take a picture of it in use if you want.

All of the Rustoleum I have bought here has had a smooth finish (black is available in gloss or matt). There may be a hammered finish available here, but I haven't seen/purchased that one (not that I have been looking for it!).

Archived