Bed Linen and Dust

Beggar

18 hours ago, Airalee said:

I have the same problem and noticed that there is significantly more dust when I hang dry my clothes/towels/sheets vs using a dryer.  

I also believe that the quality of the cotton in the fabric contributes to the amount.  Long staple cotton is what you want to look for.  It’s expensive, but the sheets will last longer 

Will look for this long staple cotton. Hopefully I don't get sleepless nights because of the high price ????

17 hours ago, CGW said:

I always sleep with pure cotton sheets, the higher the thread count the more expensive they are, my preference is for about a 320 thread count as the sheets breathe better than higher and more expensive counts.

I have never experienced the problem the OP is having, its either cheap nasty "cotton" that is disintegrating, or you are using soaps and chemicals that are causing the "breakdown" or a combination! how acidic is your water supply?

I think it is simply cheap cotton. I don't use any strange soaps or chemicals. The water is the best Pattaya tap water you can get. No idea what "special features" it really has. 

17 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I suggest that you get a set of bed linen washed in a reasonably new frontloading washing machine, that will give a datum point.

Use a dryer for one set for another datum.

Check to see if your local laundrette (laundromat for the colonial cousins, coin laundry for the Japanese) has front loaders and try a set there for yet another datum. 

I personally prefer a polycotton mix as I don’t want to be bothered doing the ironing for a pure cotton. Also pure cotton is rather difficult to find, certainly available but not as easy to find as polyester cotton. 

Also the amount of dust is not normal as far as I know.

To switch to a front loader is not the cheapest option. And the top loaders have advantages when filling and taking out the laundry. There is a wash salon in my area and just last week it added 1 front loader. But I will need to buy different washing powder for this first since you can't use the same washing powder as used for top loaders as far as I know. Will try it next time. 

7 hours ago, Beggar said:

To switch to a front loader is not the cheapest option. And the top loaders have advantages when filling and taking out the laundry. There is a wash salon in my area and just last week it added 1 front loader. But I will need to buy different washing powder for this first since you can't use the same washing powder as used for top loaders as far as I know. Will try it next time. 

We are using Amway powder and SWMBO is happy with it. I have never bothered with which powder or liquid I use just the best. I suggest you look up the Which reports on washing powders.

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We are using Amway powder and SWMBO is happy with it. I have never bothered with which powder or liquid I use just the best. I suggest you look up the Which reports on washing powders.

They have different powders and it is marked on the packaging of the washing powder. I was told if you use one for top loaders on a front loader you will have a lot of foam.

I see myself already on the knees in front of the front loader pulling out the laundry very carefully so that nothing falls down... I had a front loader in Europe and when I moved to the US I had the first time a top loader. I couldn't believe that this will ever work. But I was surprised - very clean laundry. But the washing powder is much stronger. 

But more importantly. What does SWMBO mean? 

46 minutes ago, Beggar said:

But more importantly. What does SWMBO mean? 

Your education must be sadly lacking ????  you need to read H Rider Haggard’s book that introduced Ayesha in the book She written in 1886.

While you can find a synopsis in Wikipedia it is better to actually read the book it’s a free download at She; A History of Adventure without doing that you loose the context 

BD358A4B-9A90-4677-8884-3533BDD3A88D.jpeg.685abcce0c55f291341cfd3d5b343cef.jpeg

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed , in other words the wife is the boss, no argument on any matter. 

Thank you very much. I was afraid already that I have to read a whole book to understand it. Good that I don't have a SWMBO. When I read his post I first thought it is an advantage to have one because she takes care of his laundry. I didn't understand the meaning of SWMBO. But now I feel a little bit pity for him.????

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Thank you very much. I was afraid already that I have to read a whole book to understand it. Good that I don't have a SWMBO. When I read his post I first thought it is an advantage to have one because she takes care of his laundry. I didn't understand the meaning of SWMBO. But now I feel a little bit pity for him.????

Well no; SWMBO tells me to do whatever she wants and I say “yes dear” and do whatever I want.

So SWMBO is happy that I almost always agree with what  she says. 

Thus we are both happy. ????

On 11/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, Beggar said:

They have been washed so many times already. I tried with softener. After I put them on the bed I even used the vacuum cleaner on them. But it doesn't change anything at all. This has been getting on my nerves for years already and I googled a lot. I can't believe that there is no fix. But on the other hand I could not find one. I am not a linen expert. But perhaps there is a better quality. Or perhaps it is like this and I have to live with it. But it is a lot of dust every day. 

Isn't this getting out of hand?

This is a serious reply and not intended to be rude to you.

Based on observations on some of your answers. Ie worrying about dust, worrying about the cost of a washing machine/linin and not sleeping, worrying about getting a front loader in case the washing falls on the floor. The issue you have it seems is that you may have OCD (Obsessive -Compulsive Disorder). Examine if I am right and if there are other things in your life that concern you excessively and you may have your answer.

<deleted>???   If the cotton  linens are your problem and have been for years.  Get rid of the problem.  Polyester sheets and pillowcases have been around for years.

I don't think you will be happy long term with synthetics though.  look up the con's of using polyester.  I don't think static will be a major problem given Thais humidity and lack of dryers.

You might be better served purchasing  very high quality  cotton bedding, Egyptian perhaps or Turkish.  Cheap cotton sheets can shed like a malamute in July

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Your picture seems to show a few fibres and a lot of particles. Try a liquid detergent as the powder you are using may not be fully dissolving.

This might be a reason. The washing powder might be fully dissolved but for sure not completely removed when rinsing. And then in addition to the fibers it might be part of the dust. 

I think many people don't realize this problem so much because they might not have black furniture. On bright surfaces it will take a while until you see the dust. But it is there. 

I got enough ideas what I could do and I thank you very much for your support. For me this topic is now closed. Thank you again. 

Archived