Pulled aside in Chiang Mai

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, it is illegal because there is a maximum number of days in a year that you can stay in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Can anybody live in your home country 12 months every year on a tourist visa alone doing visa/border runs to extend their stay?

The OP is posting about Thailand on a Thai forum, why the comparison?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just asking....you were here on an ed visa. I do assume it was for learning Thai? 

Perhaps you were here studying history.

So, if it was for learning Thai...the Female immigration officer asked her colleague...lets see if he speaks Thai...ask him something stupid in English to see if he understands what we are saying....

And it appears after 2 plus years you are unable to follow a basic conversation between the two immigration officers. 

Just curious is all...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

time the Thai immigration starts to require background check from home country and show you have money from that are earned not in Thailand so they can continue live here on whatever visa they want

can you give a list of countries you can live on forever on tourist visa/visa exempt/ed visa?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

love it!

all the oldies rushing around to trash the young'uns (who aren't actually doing anything illegal) WHILST scrambling around to avoid their insurance requirements (which isn't illegal either)

TOTAL HYPOCRITES.

have a look at yourselves. disgrace.

look at your own post..."all the oldies"! Don't paint us oldies all with the same brush.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

love it!

all the oldies rushing around to trash the young'uns (who aren't actually doing anything illegal) WHILST scrambling around to avoid their insurance requirements (which isn't illegal either)

TOTAL HYPOCRITES.

have a look at yourselves. disgrace.

Not all of them, a small percentage I expect. Only those on O-A related retirement extensions or Visas. Most will be on marriage extensions or Non-Imm-O originated extensions. And those having concerns can switch. I can afford the insurance anyhow.

Watch out for the grumpy menopausal IO at Don Mueng, and have your 20k and servile look ready! Try crawling up to the kiosk.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not all of them, a small percentage I expect. Only those on O-A related retirement extensions or Visas. Most will be on marriage extensions or Non-Imm-O originated extensions. And those having concerns can switch.

see what i mean? how is this any different from switching from voa's to tourist visas or to EDs?

we all just want to stay.

1 minute ago, GeorgeCross said:

see what i mean? how is this any different from switching from voa's to tourist visas or to EDs?

we all just want to stay.

It is whether one is using the correct Visa to support the reason of being in Thailand. Many base their stay on a lie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeorgeCross said:

foreigner in thailand on a visa

jeez do i really need to explain that?

:blink:

And I presume there is another side then, you made it sound like a competitive confrontation . 

Where the old guys get upset is people abusing the system which, when uncovered, causes an (over) reaction that impacts them. You may relish the old guys, who have the carpet pulled from under their feet, by an insurance requirement they cannot fulfill, but at the moment they all have legitimate alternatives. I see that differently than any person working here without a work permit, or on an ED without attending a school. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where the old guys get upset is people abusing the system which, when uncovered, causes an (over) reaction that impacts them.

The main reason for this are the old guys who pay agents, who then bribe immigration officials, to get their extension. Immigration officers see that they can get a nice income by this, so they try to shut down the alternatives, and put everybody in the extension scheme because a percentage of them will pay agents.

So you should start by blaming the people who use agents, they are the main cause. If they wouldn't exist (and they exist because people on extensions pay for them) it would probably still be possible to get 12 visa exempts per year at land borders.

Edited by jackdd
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If they wouldn't exist (and they exist because retirees pay for them) it would probably still be possible to get 12 visa exempts per year at land borders.

So what initially caused the withdrawal of the 12 Visa Exempt Entries at a land crossing? The agents that up to then did not exist and had no raison d'être? A bit egg-then chicken? I actually think not. But most certainly go along with the concept that Immigration changes rules to force people into the use of agents. Else they could have basically insisted on personal applications only. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The agents that up to then did not exist and had no raison d'être?

I guess agents exist as long as visas exist, also back then there were probably people who used extensions and some of them used agents (if not retirement, then companies who used agents to get the extensions for their employees).

Probably there was once a smart Immigration officer who had an idea how to make a lot of money, and so they cut down the number of visa exempts which caused the agents to flourish

Edited by jackdd

Pretty simple, newbies can make it work and stretch for first 1-2 years without issues. After that, under current ways, you are done.
Thailand does no longer want or allow us to be here for the entire year, unless work permit / non-o / elite etc. 

Seems people still live in denial and think this is only a ghost story,
specially people who do have a yearly visa (many never check the news as they have no concerns yet), sadly it is the truth.

Having said that, can't wait for my visa horror days again half way next month.
Hanoi is fine for a single non-o without financial proof too? @Britmantoo 

Edited by tabarin

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

Totally agree. Seen and know so many under 50, who are struggling to stay here and live the good life they dreamt of.

So many are underestimating what it really takes to make it here. Many end up getting kids and have problems putting their kids in a decent school. Others are in constant risk of being deported due to visa issues.

Those who manage to “survive” long enough, will really feel the pain, when they get sick or can not longer work.

I fully understand that many want to live in Thailand, but it really does require either a steady good income or a lot of savings. Which most do not have.

Reading this forum suggests otherwise, many young people with elite visa while many old struggle to get their 800k in the bank. Of course as much of a garbage generalisation as yours.

Being broke doesn't have any age barrier, old age poverty is a really big problem in europe and the US. Pension systems are borderline scams. If you think you can judge someone based on his age you are wrong.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, tabarin said:

seen more people above 50 struggle in Thailand than anything else, unless you count the backpackers on their last few days. 
Generally those living here before retirement age, are very well off, they just deal with luxury problems (bilingual vs international school, wanting more money etc etc).

No one is saying under 50s can't survive- but what are they doing to do when they are  60 or 65 and have no government pensions as they never paid into the system; have no superannuation fund as they never paid into the system.  I

If one is working for a Thai Company- they won't want you anymore after a certain age.  You will then be forced into an untenable situation.

If the most money someone who is youger than 50 is making in Europe is 2900 Euro or in America $2900 per month- that tells me it would be better in the long run to get more education or a marketable skill that pays at least double that amount per month

Good , high paying jobs are abundant in the US.  No one wants to leave their familr but Thais do it constantly by seeking higher wages abroad.

The proof in what I am saying is  accurate, are the  elderly foreigners that are around- that live a very basic life- have no property- live month to month and no savings.  They don't have the liberty of going back to university or technical school.  Yhey're stuck.  Don't become one of them. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The proof in what I am saying is  accurate, are the  elderly foreigners that are around- that live a very basic life- have no property- live month to month and no savings.  They don't have the liberty of going back to university or technical school.  Yhey're stuck.  Don't become one of them. 

I started making good money when I left Canada and could save tax and keep reinvesting the money I saved. Time have changed and there are plenty of opportunities that are not location dependant. I also don't feel comfortable giving my money to anyone and hope they give it back later. I expect the pension system not to be sustainable or that they will raise the minimum age near life expectancy. Sure if your only option is to teach English then it's better to stay in the west. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1