Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jingthing

Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?

Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Percy P said:

If 50% of the people decided not to use the buses the money coming in fron the other 50% paying 20Baht would be the same before the rise .Less people using the buses same income.

Thats an excellent point, and could be applied to many things in the Thai economy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I would use them about the same which is infrequently these days. I would use the baht buses more often if people were not packed like sardines full of, smoking drinking ill tempered russian with babies in prams,  jabbering indians bent double in the aisle and men of all nationalities manspreading, exhibiting yellowed toe nails and varicose veins and armpit hair. The baht buses are now dangerously overcrowded, uncomfortable and undignified. I would prefer to pay 50 baht for a properly regulated service with a maximum of 6 people on each bench seat and only two standing on the back rack. Reform of the baht buses would put them all into public service and extend their routes. Currently they function as private taxis with dozens waiting on Cozy Beach Road hiring  out to the highest bidder and the largest groups. The scenes at the queue at the Pattaya Tai/Sai song police box are like a scene from hell reminiscent of WW2 german cattle trucks...all we need now is the use of viscous dogs to herd people into the cramped death traps. The once free wheeling fun transport system has been reduced to third world hell.

Smoking is banned on baht busses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, balo said:

Sorry but I think its not hard to predict the outcome of this poll

If you need to visit the mall, bars or whatever you still need transport, right? And if you live near the baht bus route, what are the other options? Walking? Buy a bike? 



 

Yes, I agree.

 

I did predict that riding them as frequently or nearly as frequently would "win" this poll.

But there are some factors where people might reduce riding or stop.

For example I notice many people ride them for a few blocks or a distance that would take 5 or 10 minutes to walk.

I don't do that unless perhaps if it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella or carrying heavy packages.

So some people would probably reduce those "discretionary" rides due to higher fares.

I suppose some people that depend on the baht buses as their main form of transportation may be nudged into buying a motorbike due to a fare increase. But 10 to 20, I don't think very many.

I can imagine that it would hurt some poor Thai workers but that isn't a demographic reading this forum.

But otherwise clearly most people would keep riding the buses for longer rides as there is no affordable alternative (without a bike). 

Normally businesses push prices up when rising them won't hurt demand. 

So why hasn't the baht bus cooperative raised prices?

Not that I'm complaining. I'm happy to keep paying the 10 baht.

 

Here's a restaurant example of the power of pricing. 

I have a current favorite restaurant that is kind of expensive for my budget. But it's so good that I keep going there, like twice a week, even though the check bin is kind of painful. So for me anyway, this place has priced perfectly.

 

Now IF they suddenly DOUBLED their prices, I don't think I would go there ever again. 

 

For most people, 10 baht is seen as a bargain, and 20 isn't even painful. They would need to go higher than that to lose many riders. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , the 800k could be increased to 1.6m , what with half the expats leaving !! 😬

Yes, but that's serious money. 10 to 20 baht isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jingthing said:

For example I notice many people ride them for a few blocks or a distance that would take 5 or 10 minutes to walk.

As I have a car, if I'm visiting in or around Soi Buakhao, I tend to park my car in the car park opposite Bake 'n Brew (also very fattening 555) or opposite the market on Tuesdays, Fridays. I then use the baht busses to travel to my destination on Soi Buakhow. Sometimes my journeys are just a couple of hundred metres. Why? Hate walking along Soi Buakhao due to the traffic and safer than a win. rarely use them at any other location.

 

20 baht, in some ways, would be better for me. I hate loose change in my pockets and never have a 10 baht coin. Always carry plenty of 20 baht notes.

 

20 baht for a short journey? Am I bovvered? Is my face bovvered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

As I have a car, if I'm visiting in or around Soi Buakhao, I tend to park my car in the car park opposite Bake 'n Brew (also very fattening 555) or opposite the market on Tuesdays, Fridays. I then use the baht busses to travel to my destination on Soi Buakhow. Sometimes my journeys are just a couple of hundred metres. Why? Hate walking along Soi Buakhao due to the traffic and safer than a win. rarely use them at any other location.

 

20 baht, in some ways, would be better for me. I hate loose change in my pockets and never have a 10 baht coin. Always carry plenty of 20 baht notes.

 

20 baht for a short journey? Am I bovvered? Is my face bovvered?

Just the smell in surten blocks keeps me from walking around as well, even I could walk 10 min. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sillyfool said:

you just said manspreading hahahah that's the best.

 

are you sure you couldn't lump more stereotypes in there ? 

 

maybe sir would rather a more appropriate mode of transport.....highness.

 

Image result for carried by slaves"

 

 

For 20 baht that would definately be my choice of transport. I'll wager that the OP would love it too! 555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this...the buses are a nightmare...hot and uncomfortable with toxic air. Avoid at any cost

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many baht buses in Pattaya early in the day/afternoon.  See so many empty driving on side streets, or parked somewhere along second road. 

Night time different story, many are full and make money.  Still too many IMO, especially those that just double park or cruise the streets looking for a "taxi fare'.  Not doing what they were designed for, have decided to just sit and wait or cruise empty until they get a 100-200 baht "fare" from a family or small group to take them directly to their destination (as a taxi would)  Also, driver is many times not the guy/girl on the taxi licence photo. 

 

Motorcycle taxi "stands" block street corners, drink at night, and are not dispersed well either. 

Think they give their orange vest to any friend who seems sober enough to drive you. 

I saw a small Honda Zoomer type bike with an old frail thai driver who had 2 indians on it and it was definitely an accident waiting to happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Too many baht buses in Pattaya early in the day/afternoon.  See so many empty driving on side streets, or parked somewhere along second road. 

Night time different story, many are full and make money.  Still too many IMO, especially those that just double park or cruise the streets looking for a "taxi fare'.  Not doing what they were designed for, have decided to just sit and wait or cruise empty until they get a 100-200 baht "fare" from a family or small group to take them directly to their destination (as a taxi would)  Also, driver is many times not the guy/girl on the taxi licence photo. 

 

Motorcycle taxi "stands" block street corners, drink at night, and are not dispersed well either. 

Think they give their orange vest to any friend who seems sober enough to drive you. 

I saw a small Honda Zoomer type bike with an old frail thai driver who had 2 indians on it and it was definitely an accident waiting to happen. 

Usually people that complain about too many buses don't actually ride them. Of course the too many empty buses that are hustling for charters and won't act as a bus are definitely very annoying to riders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you've shared the roads with them for any considerable length of time

 

nothing short of neck-shooting the bastards is appropriate

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...