Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jingthing

Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?

Poll: If the baht bus fare was doubled to 20 baht would you ride them any less?  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

There does seem to be pressure mounting for 20 baht.  Had a baht bus guy yell at me on the Sukhumvit baht bus (the white ones) for only paying 10 baht not too long ago.  I also get them trying to get 20 baht out of me sometimes when coming or going to Jomtien on longer end to end trips.  I think they are regularly getting it from the more clueless tourists when push comes to shove so they seem to be doing that more.  I don't really see it as being greedy considering inflation.   But it can add up if you use them a lot.  So it would be a hit to most peoples budgets.  

 

I think the 2nd road beach road circular route should probably stay 10 baht but some of the longer routes like Jomtien to Pattaya would make more sense to make 20 baht.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm a little late to the party here, and I assume it's been mentioned, but wouldn't an increase to 15 baht make more sense than suddenly doubling it? When it went from 5 baht to 10, doubling made sense rather than dealing with 1-baht coins, but adding another 5 baht to the price in this case seems more reasonable and with very little extra hassle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

20 baht, in some ways, would be better for me. I hate loose change in my pockets and never have a 10 baht coin. Always carry plenty of 20 baht notes.

 

I keep notes in my wallet, coins in pocket.... would much rather not be messing getting the wallet out on a baht bus. Pick-pocket teams utilize them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I keep notes in my wallet, coins in pocket.... would much rather not be messing getting the wallet out on a baht bus. Pick-pocket teams utilize them. 

Coins are the most stupid invention man ever made. I hate them. Been to a few countries that don't have them....bliss. Main reason I love Cambodia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Coins are the most stupid invention man ever made. I hate them. Been to a few countries that don't have them....bliss. Main reason I love Cambodia.

I disagree, paper money is useless, gets wet and tears! The reason many countries do not have them is inflation made them redundant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree, paper money is useless, gets wet and tears! The reason many countries do not have them is inflation made them redundant!

My banknotes are different. 555

 

If you drop a banknote, does it roll under the sofa, never to be seen again?

 

 

Edited by DannyCarlton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

My banknotes are different. 555

 

If you drop a banknote, does it roll under the sofa, never to be seen again?

 

 

No it blows away in the wind....... never to be seen again!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shdmn said:

There does seem to be pressure mounting for 20 baht.  Had a baht bus guy yell at me on the Sukhumvit baht bus (the white ones) for only paying 10 baht not too long ago.  I also get them trying to get 20 baht out of me sometimes when coming or going to Jomtien on longer end to end trips.  I think they are regularly getting it from the more clueless tourists when push comes to shove so they seem to be doing that more.  I don't really see it as being greedy considering inflation.   But it can add up if you use them a lot.  So it would be a hit to most peoples budgets.  

 

I think the 2nd road beach road circular route should probably stay 10 baht but some of the longer routes like Jomtien to Pattaya would make more sense to make 20 baht.

I still keep the old pay system on the Jomtien route , from the Pattaya school crossing further up I ad another 10 baht , so from far Jomtien up to their end line = 2x 10 baht as it is really a far ride , be honest guy's

Same I do on Sukhumvit rd. Tesco lotus up to Naklua (or Index location )20 baht , they are worth their money ….if they keep their complete route and not divert before to a return by Beach rd. !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, david555 said:

I still keep the old pay system on the Jomtien route , from the Pattaya school crossing further up I ad another 10 baht , so from far Jomtien up to their end line = 2x 10 baht as it is really a far ride , be honest guy's

Same I do on Sukhumvit rd. Tesco lotus up to Naklua (or Index location )20 baht , they are worth their money ….if they keep their complete route and not divert before to a return by Beach rd. !!

The government did a lot to reduce these increased fares. I think it is not very helpful to ignore this and to support the opposite behavior again. 

 

Long time the fare was 5 Baht and got increased several years ago to 10 Baht. Now several posters here say that they wouldn't have a problem if they increase it to 20 Baht. But you have to see that many locals have to use the Baht busses too and for them such an increase could have a bigger impact. So best would be to keep 10 Baht for locals and charge 20 or more Baht for people looking like foreigners. Not really...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, SheungWan said:

I would ask the driver if I could travel half the distance for a 50% discount.

I think there are people doing that now... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

If you drop a banknote, does it roll under the sofa, never to be seen again?

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind - the answer is blowing in the wind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the fare was 20 baht it would slow things down a lot having to wait on all the Indians hanging for group discounts......And no I am not joking here......They already do this at 10 baht some times....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also the POWERS THAT BE.....HATE ......the baht buses......They would like nothing more than to get rid of them all......

 

THE POWERS THAT BE......HATE for people to have ULTRA CHEAP transportation......But they HATE the baht buses more.......

If the baht bus fares were 20 baht it would make the baht buses stronger and this can not be allowed to happen in their eyes...So the baht bus fare WILL NOT be going up any time soon.....You can take this to the bank.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, david555 said:

I still keep the old pay system on the Jomtien route , from the Pattaya school crossing further up I ad another 10 baht , so from far Jomtien up to their end line = 2x 10 baht as it is really a far ride , be honest guy's

Same I do on Sukhumvit rd. Tesco lotus up to Naklua (or Index location )20 baht , they are worth their money ….if they keep their complete route and not divert before to a return by Beach rd. !!

The fare from Jomtien is 10 baht, not 20 baht, as far as Pattaya North road. If you want to TIP, up to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The fare from Jomtien is 10 baht, not 20 baht, as far as Pattaya North road. If you want to TIP, up to you. 

Fair enough , it was 10 years ago an understanding so, maybe you where not in Pattaya yet ?? 😉

I have an unfrozen pension already more than 10 years....so I favor them drivers a little too.....as it is a real long ride ,but i can understand your position too .

 

Besides i don't see it as a tip .., just a fair pay for a real long ride , must be because I come from communist's Europe as some Brits call it …..5555

Edited by david555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...