Rising cost of living top concern of majority of people: poll

webfact

Rising cost of living top concern of majority of people: poll

By The Nation

COL.jpg

FILE photo

A majority of Thai people want the government to tackle the rising cost of living, according to a survey by Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll was conducted between November 12-16, on 1,207 people throughout the country to collate their opinions on the economic problems facing the country and their suggestions.

More than 65 per cent cited the cost of living as their biggest issue since the cost of goods increased when higher tax is levied. They suggested price control, lower fuel prices and serious action against capitalists taking advantage of people.

Some 39 per cent worried about the economic slowdown,   as the government has been unable to resolve the problems, deal with the baht's appreciation, the decline in tourism, in addition to the weakening world economy. They suggested that the government come up with more effective policies, optimise national budget usage and tackle corruption.

Nearly a third of the respondents, 31.76 per cent, cited unemployment caused by the weakening economy and companies going out of business as their big worries. They suggested that the government  find ways to create new jobs and issue remedial measures. They also urged unemployed people to be less picky about the jobs they sign up for at this time.

About one-fourth of respondents, 25.68 per cent, fretted over the drop in people's incomes. They suggested that the government take action to increase salaries and labour wages, lower taxes and interest rates, extend loan repayment periods and issue remedial measures for the poor.

About 31.76 per cent said the fall in exports, trade and investments due to the global economic situation, drop in foreign investments and the baht appreciation, which has hurt profits, as worrying factors. They suggested that the government strengthen investor confidence, boost tourism and launch economic stimulus measures.

When asked what actions the government should take, 54.34 per cent suggested price-control measures to lower the cost of living; 38.14 per cent called for urgent measures to create jobs; and 31.15 per cent suggested improving the quality of life.

Asked to name the agencies who should solve the problems, 47.90 per cent named Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha; 32.84 per cent suggested government ministries such as Finance, Commerce, Labour, Industry and Agriculture, and 24.94 per cent mentioned the opposition, especially the Pheu Thai and Future Forward parties.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378425

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-18

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

A majority of Thai people want the government to tackle the rising cost of living, according to a survey by Suan Dusit Poll.

assumes a competent and caring government, neither applies in this country where the 'haves' are running the place

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Asked to name the agencies who should solve the problems, 47.90 per cent named Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha; 32.84 per cent suggested government ministries such as Finance, Commerce, Labour, Industry and Agriculture, and 24.94 per cent mentioned the opposition

How many % suggest to pray to a lump of wood?

"A majority of Thai people want the government to tackle the rising cost of living..."

Thailand and its population are no different than most countries when it comes to the rising cost of living. There are those who do live in poverty, but for the majority, the main problem is Conspicuous Consumption-The spending of money on and the acquiring of luxury goods and services to publicly display economic power of the income or of the accumulated wealth of the buyer. People spend money to impress people they don't even know or like. They borrow money at high interest rates, sometimes from loan sharks,  and are unable to pay back those loans. The solution...Be happy with less, and don't buy what you can't afford. 

A lot of these sycophantic polls have the scent of a type of communism. The government seen as a type of saviour in rescuing the people from the ills of the world. History teaches us that after a number of years (unfortunately sometimes many many years) the populace often hears a penny drop. Which is that the government is both the cause and the deceptive arbitrator of their problems. Politics in action, no need to read the textbooks!

We don't need the news to recognize that the cost of living is exploding!
Those who haven't noticed yet, maybe they have so much money that they don't give a damn or they don't do the shopping!
We thank all in chorus the "Great" general who in the last few years has done this for the Thai economy!
Congratulations to you and your government!

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

A lot of these sycophantic polls have the scent of a type of communism. The government seen as a type of saviour in rescuing the people from the ills of the world. History teaches us that after a number of years (unfortunately sometimes many many years) the populace often hears a penny drop. Which is that the government is both the cause and the deceptive arbitrator of their problems. Politics in action, no need to read the textbooks!

Sounds like every government in every country in the world ????

I did a one year budget recently, i.e. writing down daily what we spent out money on and what it would cost to provide for my family here in Thailand, and I have to say, the imported stuff that I like and have been purchasing over the past year are now off of the menu, not that I cannot afford them, but on a recent holiday to back to my home country, I found that I could purchase the same items for less, suffice to say, the import tax on many items has driven me to take the imported foods that off of the menu as I said above, it's just totally ridiculous to pay more here for those items, especially when Thailand doesn't have an industry to protect for most of those items that I buy and if they think they are going to force me to substitute them for a Thai product if I can find one, they are really plan stupid, but we already know that.

The above said, I will now have those foods as a treat every now and again to reduce what I call a "rise in the cost of living" for farangs/foods, but not Thai foods, cheap as Charlie when comparing eggs for eggs. As for those farang foods, they can sit on the companies shelves impacting on their profits which impacts on tax being paid to Thailand which flows on from there into the Thai economy.

Disgruntled farang...........impacting on the Thai economy with a pin head ????

Prices have risen substantially in the past five years. All of my favorite fruits have doubled in price. Movies, popcorn and all the other really important things in life have gone up too!

Prayuth is incompetent beyond belief. He must resign. And the people need to figure out how to get the army out of power permanently. They are despised by most. 

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

How do they know if the prices have risen? I don't see any price so it's up to them...

COL.jpg

Haven't inflation rates been published a short while ago? Something along the lines of one point odd percent over the past 12 months, or way below 2%. Can't be that bad then. - We can trust the government with their official statistics and figures, can't we?

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Prices have risen substantially in the past five years. All of my favorite fruits have doubled in price. Movies, popcorn and all the other really important things in life have gone up too!

I don't know how the average Thai manages to live here. Even on say a salary of 20,000 a month.

Ha ha Capitalists taking advantage of the people Love that you really think The pm will say anything to them ?They are the ones who are keeping these guys in power ha ha What  a joke Oh another comedy quote.Thais should not be so picky choosing a job :cheesy: Ok they are sure picky in Thailand Most are picking No job Because most are to lazy to work hence 1 million Cambodians laotions and burmese working on building sites in Thailand

Archived