Rising cost of living top concern of majority of people: poll

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"A majority of Thai people want the government to tackle the rising cost of living..."

Thailand and its population are no different than most countries when it comes to the rising cost of living. There are those who do live in poverty, but for the majority, the main problem is Conspicuous Consumption-The spending of money on and the acquiring of luxury goods and services to publicly display economic power of the income or of the accumulated wealth of the buyer. People spend money to impress people they don't even know or like. They borrow money at high interest rates, sometimes from loan sharks,  and are unable to pay back those loans. The solution...Be happy with less, and don't buy what you can't afford. 

Yes, face is very expensive! It's not the accumulation of wealth but the appearance of wealth that is all important!

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Chicken breast 57baht kilo, lemon grass,ginger and basil 5baht at market... same same for years no rising costs in my budget

We are talking about import products have to be cheaper when baht stronger , not chicken breast, lemon grass, ginger or rice etc. 

Hmm, something don't fit with facts...????

Consumer price index is 102.74 points in October 2019, up from 102.40 one year ago. The annual inflation rate is .32 percent, and the core inflation rate is .44 percent; however the food inflation is 2.20 percent, whilst producer prices are –1.94 (minus) percent.

Minimum wage is 325 baht a day, up from previous 305 baht a day, in principle up by some 6 percent (I think the 305 baht was set a few years ago).

Source: Thailand consumer price index.

I would say it is Rising cost of survival, not worth calling it a living.
Certainly not if earning 10-20K baht (20K often with education debt so 4-5K gone of that right away).

Other than that, rent and food seems to be still at the same price, at least, as long you cook at home.
If you want an actual life, it is very very expensive in Thailand (for locals).

2 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Exactly.

Most expats in Thailand are totally clueless as how to shop effectively because they fail to adapt to the local ways and refuse to learn the local language. 

Thus they are stuck shopping from overpriced places that keep their prices artificially high.

Not having a dig, as it's not an easy language to learn or culture to assimilate to.

The large supermarkets are gaining in popularity among Thais by leaps and bounds. Why? Because they offer greater selection, more convenience, fresher produce, and oftentimes cheaper prices than farmer's markets. Farmer's markets do outperform the supermarkets when you are talking about produce that is in-season, locally produced, and sold directly by the farmer. But that's only a tiny percentage of what's sold in farmer's markets. The rest is coming from the same wholesalers supplying the supermarkets, except that the farmers market distribution system is far less efficient. Most notably, the farmer's market distribution system is slower, has more middlemen, and there is almost never any overnight refrigeration of fruits and vegetables, resulting in more wastage, lower quality, spotty availability, and oftentimes, higher prices, etc.

I think the idea that supermarket produce is more likely to be contaminated with agricultural chemicals than that sold in farmer's markets is highly debatable. The imported produce is coming from largely the same wholesale sources, so carrots imported from China, for example, are going to have the same risk of pesticide exposure whether they are sold in Makro or at a local farmer's market. Frankly, because the locally produced produce sold at farmer's markets are most often grown by small scale farmers, the risk of pesticide exposure from produce from these small farms is, if anything, greater than the exposure from a large more professionally run farm.

Thai will help you navigate a farmer's market. No doubt about it. But to suggest that speaking Thai will insulate you from getting ripped off in a farmer's market is simply not true. Some of the vendors would try and rip you off even if you were the most fluent speaker in the world. The absolute worst were the vegetable vendors who notoriously never posted their prices (in contrast to the fruit vendors who almost always posted their prices.) For well over 10 years I faithfully visited the farmer's markets in my area, patronizing them almost on an exclusive basis, but I found that I could never let my guard down and constantly had to check prices and weights, so much so that it ceased to be an enjoyable experience.

About 5 years ago I started buying the vast majority of my produce at Makro. Not only is the selection and availability far superior, but the pricing on many things is significantly lower than farmer's market pricing. I'm as shrewd a comparison shopper as anyone out there. Even though I am eating much more expensive imported foods like avocados, blueberries, dates, almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, cheeses, pesto sauce, Greek olives, NZ apples, Lindt chocolate, ground coffee, salmon, large shrimp, etc., my annual food budget is almost the same as it was when I was shopping almost exclusively at farmer's markets. I keep down to the last satang records.

Shopping at Makro also enabled me to make purchases of produce in large quantities which allowed me to make bulk meal preparations, resulting in far less food wastage at home, and in some cases lower prices for large purchases. I like the electronic scales they use. I go over my receipts at home with a fine toothed comb, dividing food expenditures into different categories, and I've never found an error by a cashier. And judging from the ever increasing popularity of the store, savvy Thai shoppers recognize that they are getting better value here as well.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Ok I'll give you the election result was stolen...

however the recent opportunity in Nakhon Pathom was wasted... a golden opportunity to send a message back to BKK, however either through lack of interest, sheer laziness or people are actually happy with the regime in power did not vote for the FFP to get an MP in place.

I do not agree that the majority are happy with the current regime, on any level. But, I do agree that there is an extreme level of apathy, laziness and ignorance, when it comes to politics in Thailand. And that has to change, if society is to move forward, and if they are going to get rid of lazy, inept, incompetent, greedy and corrupt officials, that they currently are cursed with. FFP is all Thailand has going for it, at this current stage. It is their only hope. 

Today i wanted to buy a big pomelo on the market.

The first stand showed no price, when i asked she said 180 baht...

10 stands further there was a sign, 120 a piece so i bought the biggest one. Both were white flesh pomelo's.

This is what annoys me about Thailand.

After many years of living in LOS, I have noticed a trend that seems to happen at the start of every Financial Year.

This trend ( that also coincides with the start of the Low season ) is to hike prices at least 20% across the board.

If you eat street food you will be charged an extra 5 or 10 Baht for your food.If you ask why thee large increase of about 25% the reply is always along the lines of " Gas has gone up in price "

Yes,it may of. but the vendor can get about 150 meals out of a 15Kg bottle of Gas which if its risen 10% only apportions a small increase per meal. Enough to justify maybe a 1 Baht or 2 Baht rise to the cost of the food

Extortion is the name of the game here, and the Supermarkets are even worse.

I like to make muffins at home so I get to control what goes in them.  This was after I had lived here a while and realised when Thai's say there is butter in something it is usually a margarine mix with mostly palm oil.....not real butter!   Anyway, what I wanted to say is my muffins are made with half wheat flour and half almond flour.  In Australia an almost kilogram bag of Imported USA almond flouR is $7.50......and a bag of almond flour in Makro is $12.00!  So much for living cheaper in LOS! Ps: Are there any almond trees in LOS.....I don't think so. 

47 minutes ago, fruitman said:

10 stands further there was a sign, 120 a piece so i bought the biggest one. Both were white flesh pomelo's.

Not even so long ago, you could buy 3 pomelos for 100 baht.

5 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Even  funnier, Thais don't  want many jobs only the Myanmar and Laos people will do.

Don't want the jobs or won't work for the crappy wages and conditions offered? There is a difference...

6 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Nonsense.

The local markets are far better value than supermarkets and shops that have their prices marked.

I do draw the line with scales placed below the top level vegatables out of sight and Ive had to force a new weight in several times after my quick mental arithmatic puts the theiving cow up an extra 150 baht...thieving is hardwired in their DNA,  will never change

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

With a strong baht, imports should be cheaper; they never are.  Pure profiteering.

I think in that case unless you see more firms importing (ie competition imports), there’s little financial incentive for a firm to lower prices....  after all, while you can make a social/ethical or otherwise, argument for the notion that lower import costs *shoulda* translate to lower shelf/retail prices, I don’t think they happen unless there is either a business/financial model that says it must be so... or... there is some form of governmental action that mandates it.

Sure, it would be nice... but again, from a business viewpoint, why lower prices absent a need to do so?

1 kg beef 140 baht. Today 330

One bottle singa big bottle 33 baht. Today 65.

Motorbike 39.000bath 125c.c. Today 59.000bht.

Green vegetable market 5 baht. Today 10 baht.

Fish sea 125 baht per kg. Mackro. Today 250 baht.

For farang: onea pussy in pataja long time 1000 baht. Today 2000 up

Minimum salary 8.000baht.

Today 12.000 baht.

Electric, water.......

My girlfriend say 10years ago people smile and was happy.

Very few smile today.

What more to say about the country.

Not many people want to retire in this sk....@

Smoke, dirt, and high prices. More cheap to buy in Europe quality staff.

P2009

1 kg beef 140 baht. Today 330

One bottle singa big bottle 33 baht. Today 65.

Motorbike 39.000bath 125c.c. Today 59.000bht.

Green vegetable market 5 baht. Today 10 baht.

Fish sea 125 baht per kg. Mackro. Today 250 baht.

For farang: onea pussy in pataja long time 1000 baht. Today 2000 up

Minimum salary 8.000baht.

Today 12.000 baht.

Electric, water.......

My girlfriend say 10years ago people smile and was happy.

Very few smile today.

What more to say about the country.

Not many people want to retire in this sk....@

Smoke, dirt, and high prices. More cheap to buy in Europe quality staff.

Even the government all change. Nothing can be change for better. It very easy to raise the prices and destroy the country in one way or other. It is more difficult to rebuild it. 

Countries like Panama Costa Rica and maybe vietnam and Cambodia can be future retirement for some people who do not want to live in high controll society like Europe and USA.

I love the answer when asking why an import item is expensive when they buy at wholesale from say Europe (Vat Exempt) at 20% but when it arrives here they say the double retail price is because of import duties??? I say it’s a cart blanch mark up:-)

We might not see them , but there’s an awful lot of poverty stricken people out there, who never waste money , and live day to day, not always enough money to send their kids to school, or who live in ramshackle huts with no hope in sight ! 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never found the supermarkets cheaper than the farmers markets, except for foreigner items.

(like potatoes)

Opposite where I live, Makro and Tesco are generally cheaper than the markets, and often also better quality – and no, it's not because of farang-prices, it's my Thai girlfriend doing the shopping on markets – unfortunately sad, but true.

Some fresh vegetables are bought from markets, as it's both more convenient – and better for climate...???? – not to drive to a longer distance to Makro or a shopping mall; the slightly lower super-store price cannot justify the travelling cost.

Only things I found cheaper – not in market, but for from Tannoy-wagons (i.e. pick-up cars with loudspeaker, selling from the bed – are strawberries from Chiang Mai, and sometimes Mango and Durian. Grapes, and some other Thai fruits, bought in 3 to 5 kilo boxes, ordered on Line and delivered to the house, is often also little cheaper than super markets. 

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

The first stand is often little more expensive on market, because you don't need to walk that long to get, what you need.

Different prices and quotes show that there are competition, and no price cartel between sellers.

????

Bullet trains and sub marines will take Khon Thai away from all those problems like rising CPI, unemployment and the nasty alien which ultimately will be blamed also for this desaster. 

Just make sure that Prawatch knows when it is time to clear the stage for someone to clean up this helluva mess left behind by him, his boss and all those underlings with brown tongues hanging around in all those temples of inefficiency and corruption 

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

Only things I found cheaper – not in market, but for from Tannoy-wagons (i.e. pick-up cars with loudspeaker, selling from the bed – are strawberries from Chiang Mai, and sometimes Mango and Durian. Grapes, and some other Thai fruits, bought in 3 to 5 kilo boxes, ordered on Line and delivered to the house, is often also little cheaper than super markets

In the big cities of Thailand where there are Makro and other supermarkets, there is also a wholesale market.
In any case in Udon Thani there is one which is also almost next to Makro.
Go shopping at the wholesale market of Udon if you live there and you will see the difference, the huge difference in price you will pay compared to any big store or even compared to the market of your city or village.
Colossal difference that will do good to your wallet.

Archived