Libong Island’s whale shark may have died from cardiac arrest

webfact

Libong Island’s whale shark may have died from cardiac arrest

Shark-Whale.jpg

Photo from กรมทรัพยากรทางทะเลและชายฝั่ง (ทช.)

A whale shark, which was found dead in the sea near Libong Island of Thailand’s southern coastal province of Trang, has been found to have died from cardiac arrest after its tail became entangled in a rope.

The creature, which measured 5.3 metres long, was towed ashore at Hat Yao beach by officials of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources. Veterinarians dissected its body to examine its vital organs and found the heart muscle to be pale, assumed to be due to a heart attack, and there were no parasites found in the heart.

A lot of food, including plankton and small fish, was found in the stomach and the liver was in the state of decomposition. The vets suspect that the rope bound around its tale might have caused the creature’s heart to become over stressed, leading to cardiac arrest.  However, he said that tissue samples of the vital organs will be sent to a laboratory for tests to determine the exact cause of death.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/libong-islands-whale-shark-may-have-died-from-cardiac-arrest/

thaipbs.jpg

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources is undertaking some extensive autopsy and pathology tests on this whale shark.   I suspect that its tail being found entangled in rope is the reason for such concern by authorities.   

If it can be established that the poor creature died from natural causes, rather than due to mankind's environmental abuse and neglect,  I know I will sleep better at night.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

Last three paragraphs of the linked article explain how and why it died.

Yes, made me angry. Confirming what I thought. I did think more along the lines of being caught and rope snapping or being cut loose on seeing another boat. 

Archived