In Trump-Nixon impeachment comparison, Pelosi raises specter of resignation

webfact

In Trump-Nixon impeachment comparison, Pelosi raises specter of resignation

By Doina Chiacu

2019-11-17T171049Z_1_LYNXMPEFAG0RG_RTROPTP_4_POLITICS-NIXON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Richard Nixon seated at his desk, with family photos and the Lincoln bust statuette visible behind him, in the White House Oval Office in Washington, U.S. on June 23, 1972. Courtesy The Nixon Library and Museum/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is amplifying her unfavourable comparison of President Donald Trump to fellow Republican Richard Nixon, saying that disgraced president at least cared enough about the country to leave office before his impeachment.

The top Democrat in Congress told reporters last week that Trump's pressure on Ukraine to investigate one of his potential opponents in the 2020 election "makes what Nixon did look almost small."

In a CBS interview broadcast on Sunday, she alluded to Nixon's resignation after the Watergate scandal involving a break-in at Democratic Party headquarters and the subsequent cover-up.

"I mean, what the president did was so much worse than even what Richard Nixon did, that at some point Richard Nixon cared about the country enough to recognise that this could not continue," Pelosi said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Nixon, whose name has become synonymous with scandal and ignominy for many Americans, resigned in 1974 after the House Judiciary Committee approved articles of impeachment against him but before the full House voted on the issue, and he was not impeached.

He is the only U.S. president who has resigned from office.

Pelosi for months resisted calls from her more liberal Democratic lawmakers to initiate impeachment proceedings, but said Trump's call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy compelled her to open the inquiry against the president.

Since launching the proceedings on Sept. 24, Pelosi has not been in the room as the House Intelligence Committee held public hearings on Trump's impeachment. However, her voice is loud and clear on the outside, where she drives messaging in a nuanced but sharp manner.

Her Nixon comparison came amid the trial of longtime Trump ally Roger Stone, a self-proclaimed "dirty trickster" who worked for Nixon's re-election campaign and has Nixon's face tattooed on his back. Stone was convicted on Friday of lying to Congress, obstruction and witness tampering during the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

BRING ON THE EVIDENCE

Trump and his supporters have attacked the impeachment probe as politically motivated. Trump says his call with Zelenskiy was "perfect" while Republican lawmakers criticize the impeachment process as unfair.

"Do you have any evidence at all that the president did anything criminal or illegal? And the answer is no," Republican U.S. Representative Chris Stewart said on ABC's "This Week."

The president has "every opportunity to present his case," Pelosi told CBS, including coming before the intelligence panel.

"If the president has information that demonstrates his innocence in all of this, which we haven't seen," she said. "If he has information that is exculpatory - that means ex, taking away, culpable, blame - then we look forward to seeing it."

Trump unleashed a daylong flurry of three dozen tweets and retweets on Sunday, most of them critical of the impeachment. "The Crazed, Do Nothing Democrats are turning Impeachment into a routine partisan weapon." he wrote.

Pelosi accused Trump of bribery last week in having his aides dangle a White House meeting, then $400 million in suspended U.S. security assistance, if Zelenskiy announced an investigation into a Democratic 2020 political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden. Bribery is one of three articles of impeachment in the U.S. Constitution.

In the CBS interview, taped on Friday, the House speaker called Trump an "imposter" whose insecurity drove his real-time Twitter attack on former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch as she testified in the impeachment inquiry.

"Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad,” Trump said on Friday as she testified, an extraordinary moment that Democrats said amounted to witness intimidation.

Republicans at the hearing expressed support for Yovanovitch's public service and some later openly criticized Trump's actions. "I find the president's tweet unfortunate," Representative Mike Turner, a Republican on the intelligence panel, said on CNN's "State of the Union."

"He made a mistake," Pelosi told CBS. "He knows her strength. And he was trying to undermine it."

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Mary Milliken; Lisa Shumaker and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-18

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Trump resign, but I would bet my left arm that it won't happen.

I understand that people want to see parallels between Trump and Nixon, but it is a false comparison. Nixon, far all his many, many, many faults, had his own sense of honour and understood the concept of public duty and public service.

Trump does not.

The facts are simple here; Trump tried to use his office to attain a personal benefit (dirt on Biden) and that is illegal. Is there dispute on the facts? No, not really. The Republicans are complaining about process, but there is a deafening silence on the substance of the issue. To sum up, even Republicans know that what Trump did was wrong, even if they are scared to say it aloud.

Should Trump resign? Yes. It is clear to all that he has lost the moral right to govern, and when that occurs, there is only one course of action.

There are some who argue that the US should wait as there are elections on the horizon, but that is not correct; when a country has a President unbound by any laws and/or ethics, it is imperative to remove him ASAP before further damage is done. What might Trump do in a year before an election? It is too great a risk to leave him in office.

The problem in the US is political, not legal (legally, Trump should go and all law-makers know it). As much as it sickens me, there should be an arrangement made for Trump to leave office ASAP and in return to receive a non-prosecution agreement. Yes, I think that he should go to jail for a long time, but removal from office would be acceptable, even if it left a bad taste in the mouth.

The question is whether or not the Republicans in the House and Senate are going to have the courage to act. Will they? I do not know, but if I were talking with them, I would remind them that the Republicans who acted in Nixon's time were called "Profiles in Courage"; that would be a nice moniker and legacy to have.

Republicans; act now and save your party. Delay or not convict and see Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for a lifetime.

Would any of you be willing to have Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for life? 

36 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I would love to see Trump resign, but I would bet my left arm that it won't happen.

I for one, would not take your bet (maybe wishful thinking by me).

Here's why. I think there is more to his unscheduled medical visit this weekend than is being told.

Maybe there truly are medical issues. As we all know, lots can go wrong in the body of a 72 year old, overweight man who practices a poor diet and places tonnage of stress on himself.

Or, he is setting the stage for resigning "due to health reasons" as a face saving measure to being impeached or losing in 2020. The writing is on the wall for either/both to happen.

He's done a lot of Teflon-type wiggling in his 3 years but there isn't much wiggle room this time.

The can of WD-40 has run dry.

"We'll see, we'll see what happens"

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I understand that people want to see parallels between Trump and Nixon, but it is a false comparison. Nixon, far all his many, many, many faults, had his own sense of honour and understood the concept of public duty and public service.

Trump does not.

The facts are simple here; Trump tried to use his office to attain a personal benefit (dirt on Biden) and that is illegal. Is there dispute on the facts? No, not really. The Republicans are complaining about process, but there is a deafening silence on the substance of the issue. To sum up, even Republicans know that what Trump did was wrong, even if they are scared to say it aloud.

Should Trump resign? Yes. It is clear to all that he has lost the moral right to govern, and when that occurs, there is only one course of action.

There are some who argue that the US should wait as there are elections on the horizon, but that is not correct; when a country has a President unbound by any laws and/or ethics, it is imperative to remove him ASAP before further damage is done. What might Trump do in a year before an election? It is too great a risk to leave him in office.

The problem in the US is political, not legal (legally, Trump should go and all law-makers know it). As much as it sickens me, there should be an arrangement made for Trump to leave office ASAP and in return to receive a non-prosecution agreement. Yes, I think that he should go to jail for a long time, but removal from office would be acceptable, even if it left a bad taste in the mouth.

The question is whether or not the Republicans in the House and Senate are going to have the courage to act. Will they? I do not know, but if I were talking with them, I would remind them that the Republicans who acted in Nixon's time were called "Profiles in Courage"; that would be a nice moniker and legacy to have.

Republicans; act now and save your party. Delay or not convict and see Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for a lifetime.

Would any of you be willing to have Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for life? 

I suggest you present your "facts" at the hearings. Most likely you got your "facts" from what you read  which is always "factual".

Your tattoo comment is comical. If a tattoo were affixed to the forehead of every miscreant, liar, thief, cheat and con-artist in this world, there would be a critical shortage of ink.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Apart from impeachment have these dame dems got any policies not based on anti white male hate?

Yes. Dozens of bills have passed the House this year on the environment, health, and routine good government. ALL of them are blocked by Mitch McConnell, Republican Majority Leader in the Senate. I hope this fact satisfies, at least partially, your quest for accurate information.

Trump is facing multiple criminal indictments the moment he leaves office, he would be a fool not to consider cutting a resignation deal.

However, he may genuinely not be aware of the legal peril he faces. He has dismissed all the adults in his administration and surrounded himself by sycophants.

We know from his own comments he gets his news and views from highly partisan sources and shuns any news he does not want to hear.

A 72 year old man who has never once in his life been called to account feeding on self congratulatory fiction.

Do not bet he has any real idea what is about to hit him.

Meanwhile, Mitch McConnell was given a warning in Kentucky and a second wake up call in Louisiana that the GOP are in trouble, massive GOP spending and directly attaching Trump to their candidates has brought defeat.

While Trump might not be considering his options, be assured Mitch McConnell is considering his own.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Yes. Dozens of bills have passed the House this year on the environment, health, and routine good government. ALL of them are blocked by Mitch McConnell, Republican Majority Leader in the Senate. I hope this fact satisfies, at least partially, your quest for accurate information.

You are of the opinion that that they were blocked because McConnell wants to shut down the government or that they were blocked because they are partisan poison-pill bills meant to play political games. 

5 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

You are of the opinion that that they were blocked because McConnell wants to shut down the government or that they were blocked because they are partisan poison-pill bills meant to play political games. 

Many are bipartisan. More homework for you.

11 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Nancy Pelosi lost her mind about the same time her over-the-top Trump Derangement set in. 

Looking forward to 5 plus more years with Donald J. Trump as President of the USA. ???? 

MAGA 

Why do they hate him, or is it the country they hate? Seems like he's doing a good job on most fronts and that they should be helping him not jealously trying to destroy him.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Why do they hate him, or is it the country they hate? Seems like he's doing a good job on most fronts and that they should be helping him not jealously trying to destroy him.

Ah yes, the President and the Nation are a single entity.

Right out of the dictatorship playbook.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Seems like he's doing a good job on most fronts and that they should be helping him not jealously trying to destroy him.

Well you have to be a liberal to understand how the desire to destroy someone based on political affiliation and character is justifiable.

If you think about it, resignation would be an ideal direction for trump. He could resign in a cloud of martyrdom. never having to answer for his failures, lies. The base would never have to admit to being duped, he could leave office with his head held high if not for Hilary's emails, he would have achieved greatness..

The best president ever "BUT" they blocked him at every turn, they didn't let him build the wall, they put all his buddies in jail after he gave them jobs in the white house, he tried to fix north Korea but they stopped him, tried to get Iphones and Harleys made in America again but they stopped him.

All his buddies at Fox could write books, Hanity could worship the martyrdom for the next 10 years.

Win Win for everyone involved.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you think about it, resignation would be an ideal direction for trump. He could resign in a cloud of martyrdom. never having to answer for his failures, lies. The base would never have to admit to being duped, he could leave office with his head held high if not for Hilary's emails, he would have achieved greatness..

The best president ever "BUT" they blocked him at every turn, they didn't let him build the wall, they put all his buddies in jail after he gave them jobs in the white house, he tried to fix north Korea but they stopped him, tried to get Iphones and Harleys made in America again but they stopped him.

All his buddies at Fox could write books, Hanity could worship the martyrdom for the next 10 years.

Win Win for everyone involved.

Just a pity about the pending law suits against him.

8 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Well you have to be a liberal to understand how the desire to destroy someone based on political affiliation and character is justifiable.

You have to be an American having love for the country and our constitution as hard as you try to make it bipartisan it isent it’s about what’s right and what isent trump isent right by any stretch of the imagination 

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Orton were to start?a draft dodger insulting pows?seperating toddlers from there parents?tax break for the rich at the cost to the working folks pandering to dictators throwing allies to the wolves the 12,000+lies since taking office blowing up the deficit believing the kgb over every intelligence service in the USA wrecking the crappy healthcare sys we have with nothing to replace it?holey cow man take your pick not to mention how he treats women 

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Nancy Pelosi lost her mind about the same time her over-the-top Trump Derangement set in. 

Looking forward to 5 plus more years with Donald J. Trump as President of the USA. ???? 

MAGA 

Haven't seen you around for a while. As usual, emotionally loaded aspersions cast with no facts to back anything up cuz, well, we all know facts are Trump supporter Kryptonite.

56 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Tramp stamp seems appropriate?

180514-rogers-tattoo-embed2_hidil5.jpg

The "muffin" in the middle picture with no bum. I think I've seen him at some Trump rallies. Not sure but there seems to be an awful lot at each rally that look like him.

Archived