In Trump-Nixon impeachment comparison, Pelosi raises specter of resignation

webfact

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I would love to see Trump resign, but I would bet my left arm that it won't happen.

I understand that people want to see parallels between Trump and Nixon, but it is a false comparison. Nixon, far all his many, many, many faults, had his own sense of honour and understood the concept of public duty and public service.

Trump does not.

The facts are simple here; Trump tried to use his office to attain a personal benefit (dirt on Biden) and that is illegal. Is there dispute on the facts? No, not really. The Republicans are complaining about process, but there is a deafening silence on the substance of the issue. To sum up, even Republicans know that what Trump did was wrong, even if they are scared to say it aloud.

Should Trump resign? Yes. It is clear to all that he has lost the moral right to govern, and when that occurs, there is only one course of action.

There are some who argue that the US should wait as there are elections on the horizon, but that is not correct; when a country has a President unbound by any laws and/or ethics, it is imperative to remove him ASAP before further damage is done. What might Trump do in a year before an election? It is too great a risk to leave him in office.

The problem in the US is political, not legal (legally, Trump should go and all law-makers know it). As much as it sickens me, there should be an arrangement made for Trump to leave office ASAP and in return to receive a non-prosecution agreement. Yes, I think that he should go to jail for a long time, but removal from office would be acceptable, even if it left a bad taste in the mouth.

The question is whether or not the Republicans in the House and Senate are going to have the courage to act. Will they? I do not know, but if I were talking with them, I would remind them that the Republicans who acted in Nixon's time were called "Profiles in Courage"; that would be a nice moniker and legacy to have.

Republicans; act now and save your party. Delay or not convict and see Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for a lifetime.

Would any of you be willing to have Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for life? 

I wouldn't tattoo anyone's name on my forehead. What a strange thing to say.

For good reasons it takes 2/3 vote in the Senate to remove a President from office. Why is that? So to prevent the Impeachment process from simply being a partisan tool for removing a President from Office without justification. 

In the case of Nixon their was enough bi-partisan support to convict, so to save face he resigned.

In this case, there is no impeachable offense yet defined. Personally, I know exactly what is going on. This is still an attempt to illegally remove a President. It's dirty, unforgivable, and will end badly for this ruthless bunch of seditionist pigs. This stench filled Communist loving, war-mongering filthy mob of scumbag rats will end soon in a vast dump of indictments coming soon... an embarassing episode of American history from a the biggest crybabies ever to exist in the USA, "whah whah the President isn't polite" Get over it!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

For good reasons it takes 2/3 vote in the Senate to remove a President from office. Why is that? So to prevent the Impeachment process from simply being a partisan tool for removing a President from Office without justification. 

In the case of Nixon their was enough bi-partisan support to convict, so to save face he resigned.

In this case, there is no impeachable offense yet defined. Personally, I know exactly what is going on. This is still an attempt to illegally remove a President. It's dirty, unforgivable, and will end badly for this ruthless bunch of seditionist pigs. This stench filled Communist loving, war-mongering filthy mob of scumbag rats will end soon in a vast dump of indictments coming soon... an embarassing episode of American history from a the biggest crybabies ever to exist in the USA, "whah whah the President isn't polite" Get over it!

That's funny. Too funny. But thanks for the laugh.

5 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Any chance of actually disputing the facts or are you just going to go on a hate filled rampage against 'seditionist pigs'? If you genuinely think this is all about crying because the 'President isn't polite' then you haven't been paying attention.

Evidence is mounting on a daily basis that he did indeed commit bribery (an impeachable offence). Career dipomats of impeccable service to the US are putting their careers and their personal safety at risk to testify as such. Yovanovitch has testified under oath that she was pulled back to Washington to clear the way for Trump allies to persuade Ukraine to launch corruption probes into Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden and his son Hunter. Bill Taylor has confirmed there was a conversation between Sondland and Trump overheard from a staffer (David Holmes) and in turn Holmes has also testified under oath that he was present when Trump had asked Sondland “So, he’s going to do the investigation?” to which Sondland responded by saying that Zelensky “loves your ass,” that he would pursue the investigation, and that he would do “anything you ask him to.”

And then there's Gordon Sondland.

This is going to be the the Dems star witness. A Trump appointee and a man who was actually on the calls and is deep, deep in the middle of it all. Now we already know that Sondland has changed his tune in a new, revised statement were he has testified “I said that resumption of the U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anticorruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,” but since he has also categorily denied there was any 'quid pro quo/bribery' in previous statements it will be super interesting to see which story he will stick to this week, especially now there is a clear threat of perjury. Many think he has no choice other than to come completely clean and honestly tell the world what was actually said in those calls.

So rant and rage as much as you want. Blame 'seditionist pigs' and 'Communist loving, war-mongering filthy mob of scumbag rats' but I wonder how you are going to defend Trump when Sondland confirms all the other witness testimonies are true and accurate? Your boy only has himself to blame as he put himself in this situation and the noose is tightening. Hopefully it will be the end to this embarrassment of a POTUS but knowing the gutless GPO's in the Senate I'm afraid it's just the beginning.

26 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Wow! Just WOW! What a pile of cow dung, complete with loaded terms aimed at evoking arguments rather than discussion, and replete of any facts! Trump admitted he called the Ukraine president, releasing a whitewashed NOT transcript. Multiple witnesses who were there listening to the conversation firsthand testifying time and time again Trump had NO interest in potential Ukraine corruption and ONLY wanted the Ukraine president to make false statements to injure his potential political rival. The only source for your misinformation is Fox News. EVERY other news outlet is broadcasting in clean, clear terms what the crimes were that Trump has committed.

Just to be clear, are you saying that public servants who dedicated their lives to their country are liars but a guy who spent his life dodging the draft, avoiding taxes, bankrupting businesses, cheating on his wives and defrauding investors, students and donors is the real patriot?

11 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Tomorrow's news today!

DT says "the doctors said they never saw anybody as healthy as me!  All tests came out positive!"

If he resigns will Don Jr run in 2020?

Serious reports that sick <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> will run 2024. Gawd help us all!

13 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Now we already know that Sondland has changed his tune in a new, revised statement

Under current law, if you revise your tune in the same session you are making statements, you are protected against perjury. Sondland is sweating bullets right now.

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

I suggest you present your "facts" at the hearings. Most likely you got your "facts" from what you read  which is always "factual".

Your tattoo comment is comical. If a tattoo were affixed to the forehead of every miscreant, liar, thief, cheat and con-artist in this world, there would be a critical shortage of ink.

It did not occur to you that the sentence of Samui Bodoh was symbolic?

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Personally, I know exactly what is going on. This is still an attempt to illegally remove a President

I would imagine that you were similarly vexed circa 1998/1999?

FWIW, Impeachment is proscribed in the Constitution, and, as far as I am aware, remains an option.

Obviously the Senate, and ~ 20-ish Republicans would have to vote to convict. Such a conviction would be "legal". And, FYI, Mike Pence would become president, and not Hillary Clinton.

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

While Trump might not be considering his options, be assured Mitch McConnell is considering his own.

Mitch and a few Senior  Republican Senators go to see Donald Mr. Art of the DEal Trump with a great deal-

Resign- now-  Pence becomes President and pardons you.  In fact, we have talked to Governor Cuomo of New York- a Democrat- who is willing to pardon you of any State charges.   You can go back to  your Business Empire and not fear jail.  Yiu can even tell the country you did it to end the divisions in the US>

HOwever, if you choose to fight on and the Impeachment goes to the Senate- we will not vote for you. You will be removed from the Presidency and you will be convicted of various criminal charges in New York and you will go to prison.

You have 60 minutes to accept this deal.  We'll wait right here for your answer. The clock is ticking.

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

FWIW, Impeachment is proscribed in the Constitution, and, as far as I am aware, remains an option.

Obviously the Senate, and ~ 20-ish Republicans would have to vote to convict. Such a conviction would be "legal". And, FYI, Mike Pence would become president, and not Hillary Clinton.

Don't know how you did it, but you attributed the quote to the wrong person. The quote was from WalkingOrders.

29 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

But in our dreams they could impeach and remove both Trumps & Pence leaving Nancy Pelosi as President!

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Mitch and a few Senior  Republican Senators go to see Donald Mr. Art of the DEal Trump with a great deal-

Resign- now-  Pence becomes President and pardons you.  In fact, we have talked to Governor Cuomo of New York- a Democrat- who is willing to pardon you of any State charges.   You can go back to  your Business Empire and not fear jail.  Yiu can even tell the country you did it to end the divisions in the US>

HOwever, if you choose to fight on and the Impeachment goes to the Senate- we will not vote for you. You will be removed from the Presidency and you will be convicted of various criminal charges in New York and you will go to prison.

You have 60 minutes to accept this deal.  We'll wait right here for your answer. The clock is ticking.

This is actually quite plausible.  McConnell has already indicated that he will follow the law with respect to an impeachment trial.  Won't just take a vote along partisan lines.  Mitch knows he has Trump by the gonads.  What's most important to McConnell?  It's certainly not a 2nd term for Trump.  It's keeping a majority in the Senate.  McConnell can already see that the House is gone and most likely the WH as well.  If the Senate also comes into Dem control, it would be disaster.  The Senate has a better chance of retaining their majority with Trump gone.  We can already see this from the 2018 midterms, not to mention the recent elections in Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana, etc.  Mitch will do what is good for Mitch.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I would love to see Trump resign, but I would bet my left arm that it won't happen.

I understand that people want to see parallels between Trump and Nixon, but it is a false comparison. Nixon, far all his many, many, many faults, had his own sense of honour and understood the concept of public duty and public service.

Trump does not.

The facts are simple here; Trump tried to use his office to attain a personal benefit (dirt on Biden) and that is illegal. Is there dispute on the facts? No, not really. The Republicans are complaining about process, but there is a deafening silence on the substance of the issue. To sum up, even Republicans know that what Trump did was wrong, even if they are scared to say it aloud.

Should Trump resign? Yes. It is clear to all that he has lost the moral right to govern, and when that occurs, there is only one course of action.

There are some who argue that the US should wait as there are elections on the horizon, but that is not correct; when a country has a President unbound by any laws and/or ethics, it is imperative to remove him ASAP before further damage is done. What might Trump do in a year before an election? It is too great a risk to leave him in office.

The problem in the US is political, not legal (legally, Trump should go and all law-makers know it). As much as it sickens me, there should be an arrangement made for Trump to leave office ASAP and in return to receive a non-prosecution agreement. Yes, I think that he should go to jail for a long time, but removal from office would be acceptable, even if it left a bad taste in the mouth.

The question is whether or not the Republicans in the House and Senate are going to have the courage to act. Will they? I do not know, but if I were talking with them, I would remind them that the Republicans who acted in Nixon's time were called "Profiles in Courage"; that would be a nice moniker and legacy to have.

Republicans; act now and save your party. Delay or not convict and see Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for a lifetime.

Would any of you be willing to have Trump's name tattooed on your forehead for life? 

Nixon actually served his country in the South Pacific during WWII

8 hours ago, webfact said:

saying that disgraced president at least cared enough about the country to leave office before his impeachment.

Beg to differ, it was the only option he had left, otherwise they would have very probably thrown his ass in jail. So not so much caring for his country in my opinion, but much more really not wanting to spend the rest of his life in prison. 

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Trump does not.

I would sure love to see that on the forehead of Graham or McConnell. It would be very fitting. A true sign of fealty to the master. No doubt Trump is bringing down the GOP, on countless levels. There is little honor in Washington, but Don Donald is lowering the bar, on a daily basis. It is time for the smart ones to start distancing themselves from the very guilty traitor. 

4 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

So sad, so bigly sad... here we see another fanboy who has run out of rabid conspiracy links to deflect too, in an effort to support the orange team.... so now it’s time to scream and cry and throw the toys outta the pram. ????????????

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

Quite an emotional outburst.  My guess is you know the "impeachment" nonsense is coming to an end, Trump will NOT be removed, and he WILL be reelected.

Nothing on the facts? Sorry, stupid question, of course not.

6 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Quite an emotional outburst.  My guess is you know the "impeachment" nonsense is coming to an end, Trump will NOT be removed, and he WILL be reelected.

I post facts and you say they're emotional? Look again. Your denial of black and white is based on emotion. Can you refute what I posted, including Trump's required "I am guilty" plea in his theft of money from U.S. veterans? Do you know how rare that is? Usually at the corporate level, you pay a fine and plead no admission of guilt. That this particular crime was so heinous made the courts believe this step was necessary, particularly to stop Trump and his family from ever doing this again. These are facts.

Archived