Sonos - not able to use in Thailand?

bluesofa

My friend has bought a Sonos 'speaker'.

I hasten to add I've never seen one, and also know very little about them. They connect directly to the internet via your router and you can select what you want to play via your smartphone?

He couldn't get it working. He asked someone 'in the know' who tried and couldn't get to to work either. Then he googled and found they are apparently blocked in Thailand?

Is this correct, and if so - why?

22 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I can't determine from you post if the Sonos speaker is blocked or the service he is trying to access is blocked.  Sonos makes it very clear in their advertising that there are geographical restrictions but don't make it clear if it is the speaker or the content that is blocked

Sonos.png.6a1acc2f18d554dd2ffd18e4484c9b91.png

Thanks for posting that.

I can't so far find the page you've pasted above. Is it possible to list the url to that page, so I could then try the 'Learn more' option?

Thanks.

As the OP, I've found out that it's the 'voice control assistants' that are 'blocked'.

Looking at the Sonos help, it says some countries don't have everything available due to language issues at the moment.

Makes me wonder if you can change your setup to an English-speaking country, would it work in Thailand and avoid the issue?

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As the OP, I've found out that it's the 'voice control assistants' that are 'blocked'.

Looking at the Sonos help, it says some countries don't have everything available due to language issues at the moment.

Makes me wonder if you can change your setup to an English-speaking country, would it work in Thailand and avoid the issue?

A friend brought his sonos over from Australia, works fine

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

A friend brought his sonos over from Australia, works fine

My friend has just been round to show me the problem.

It works fine on my router and his router - it plays music OK. Realised now it's another issue:

He has the Sonos app for Android V10.5.1

He bought his Sonos One in Oz, but only unpacked here in Thailand, so he's only ever had it working here.

What is missing is the "voice services" option on his app.

In the attached image, it should show "Music & Content, Voice Services"

He cannot download/find a list of 'voice services' to add Google Voice Assistant or any other voice service.

Clicking "Add a Service" doesn't list any voice services whatsoever.

Someone else said they found out that the government here won't allow it to be used for some reason, but that was apparently a reply someone came back with elsewhere, so it seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Is there a Sonos user here that has the "voice services" working on Android?

Sonos1.jpg

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It works fine on my router and his router - it plays music OK. Realised now it's another issue:

He bought his Sonos One in Oz, but only unpacked here in Thailand, so he's only ever had it working here.

He cannot download/find a list of 'voice services' to add Google Voice Assistant or any other voice service.

Someone else said they found out that the government here won't allow it to be used for some reason, but that was apparently a reply someone came back with elsewhere, so it seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Sonos1.jpg

Go to account settings, change country to US, should turn up then afaik

54 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I don't know mate, can ask my friend but maybe Use a VPN to make it think you are in AUS and set it up.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Thanks for posting the link.

Those voice controls do not appear on the menu to select- that was what I said in my later post after my friend came round to show me the details.

His Sonos One plays music via his Android app OK, it's the the voice controls that are not available.

Archived