Best deals currently for Thai SIMs?

JimmyJ

Was just told that D-tech has Unlimited data plus SIM itself for 299 THB.  I think that's for one month (definitely at least one month).

That does not include phone calls, which I also need altho

probably not a lot of calls in Thailand per month ( a few dozen?).

Can anyone suggest the best plan currently please?

D-Tech deal for data and add on something for calls?

I'm using DTAC, AIS and True and of the 3, DTAC is by far the slowest in most places, has weakest signal in so many places incl. 1/5 signal at my home and not much better at office or anywhere I've been to... So in that regard they are the worst, with AIS and True having much faster connection and better signal. That said, DTAC has by far the best customer service and top-notch self-service app. True (with exception of some branches with great branch managers) is horrible to deal with while AIS has generally been decent though not as good as DTAC.

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm using DTAC, AIS and True and of the 3, DTAC is by far the slowest in most places, has weakest signal in so many places incl. 1/5 signal at my home and not much better at office or anywhere I've been to... So in that regard they are the worst, with AIS and True having much faster connection and better signal. That said, DTAC has by far the best customer service and top-notch self-service app. True (with exception of some branches with great branch managers) is horrible to deal with while AIS has generally been decent though not as good as DTAC.

The signal strength and coverage depends on where you're staying in Thailand. 

20 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Thanks all for the responses.

"The signal strength and coverage depends on where you're staying in Thailand."

Staying in CM.

If you look at those maps showing coverage/speed in different parts of Thailand, then the 3 biggest operators are almost similar in places like for example Pattaya or Phuket. AIS might be the best choice in some parts of Thailand and True somewhere else. When it comes to packages then maybe dtac has most to offer for a good price incl maximum speed if that's important.

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The signal strength and coverage depends on where you're staying in Thailand. 

Not just where you are in Thailand but where you are in the city/town/village.  Even what side of the building and what is around your immediate vicinity.

If you know where you will be you can try checking cell coverage on a map using an app like "OpenSignal".  It may have pretty good signal strength and speed detail on your location depending on where you are.  Or it may be useless.  Then, when on the ground in that area, get their cheapest SIM with no minutes/data and check location of cell towers using that same app.  Can also check actual signal strength using an app like "Network Cell Info Lite" before buying adding a data plan to the SIM.

A lot of people won't want to deal with all that and just buy whatever SIM and data plan they decide on and take their chances.  I'm just saying there is a not insignificant chance you will have signal problems with some providers and not with others, so this is one way you can try check some of that stuff beforehand.

I have a true plan that is paid monthly via my credit card automatically. It's less than 400 thb all in,  unlimited data and 200 minutes of call time. Not sure what it's called or if it's even offered any more.

Coverage has been very good throughout Thailand for the most part..

If you want good data speeds,good idea check yr preferred carrier's coverage map prior to buying the SIM,for ex,where I'm located in Central pattaya I was with Dtac and the data speeds were so damn slow,sometimes lucky to get 1 or 2 mbps download speed,i called Dtac to enquire about slow data speed,they were honest about it,informed me i was in a bit of a black spot,hence slow speeds,so at end of my postpaid contract I ported my number to trueH,now 30 mbps is the average speed.

10 hours ago, Nikkiesan said:

Best sim to buy at bkk airport for 1 month? 

Never buy a sim at the airport. Just go to a 7/11 and bring your passport. They have Start-up packages for the largest operators: dtac,True and AIS.

Pick for example AIS, choose a phone number, top it up with let's say 200-300 baht. When needed you just top it up again. You'll get top speed, 100mbit,4g (LTE).

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Amazon discounts Thai phone coverage?

Also - I don't understand "no AIS wifi"?

AIS WiFi is available at shopping malls and more. It is free when you have regular plan by AIS. Some promotional plans are not qualify for free WIFi.

Amazon discount is B10 every-month for AIS customers if they are on a qualified plan. 

Archived