Hua Hin: Preserving heritage of the old station for 3 million visitors annually

webfact

0AAE1873-5AB8-4FFC-8739-E43998996EE3-640x445.jpg

Picture: Talk News Online

Talk News Online reported that the retired station master of the iconic Hua Hin railway station has been instrumental in preserving its heritage. 

The station has been relocated amid changes to the line. 

A four kilometer elevated section is expected to be completed by 2021. This is part of dual track work on 421 kilometers of line between nakhon Pathom and Chumphon. 

53A8E019-2C6F-464A-AB15-AF3FC96D0AFF.jpg

Picture: Talk News Online

Prasong Komuk was stationmaster there for eight years until he retired and took up a role as advisor on sections of the new line for the state railways. 

He has worked with the fine arts department to ensure that what he said were three million visitors annually would not be disappointed. 

Tourists love to take pictures at the signs of the relocated station and revel in the architecture of a bygone era. 

Source: Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-18

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The station has been relocated amid changes to the line. 

Relative to its previous location, to where has it been relocated?  I haven't been to Hua Hin in a couple years, but can't picture where the station would be now.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Another stretch of tourist statistics. I live in Hua Hin and do not believe that an average of well over eight thousand people per day visit the station even if you count every passenger on every train which passes through.

Please rush me the the truth. I enclose fifty baht to cover postage.

11 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Another stretch of tourist statistics. I live in Hua Hin and do not believe that an average of well over eight thousand people per day visit the station even if you count every passenger on every train which passes through.

Thai maths. LOL

36 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

TAT must have had a hand in massaging the numbers.

8 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

And that coming from someone who is living in Cha-Am?! Is it so much better there?

Rooster

Agreed. But to each their own! I spent a week in Hua Hin in 2015 and liked everything about it; gal of the time and I took many pictures at the old train station.

We did a day trip to Cha Am but personally, I couldn't see any appeal at all, couldn't wait to hit the road back to Hua Hin. But at least I can say, "been there ........ ".

7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Relative to its previous location, to where has it been relocated?  I haven't been to Hua Hin in a couple years, but can't picture where the station would be now.

i have had visited Hua Hin 10 years ago, and i have been again in last september

the old railway station was still at the same place.

It seems hard for me to imagine they have relocated it in less than 2 months

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

i have had visited Hua Hin 10 years ago, and i have been again in last september

the old railway station was still at the same place.

It seems hard for me to imagine they have relocated it in less than 2 months

I was wondering the same thing.  Last time I drove by (about 1 week ago) it was still in the same place.  Maybe they created a replica somewhere and are claiming it's the original???

10 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They got confused and made a mistake.  Those were the arrival numbers for the Hua Hin Airport.  :whistling:

I think they mean that the new station supporting the dual track and high speed rail is being built a few hundred meters further south of the current station.  The current station may be "retiring", therefore the Hua Hin train station is "moving".

On 11/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, mwbrown said:

I think they mean that the new station supporting the dual track and high speed rail is being built a few hundred meters further south of the current station.  The current station may be "retiring", therefore the Hua Hin train station is "moving".

Well, what they should have said is that a new station will be built as part of the dual track project but the article clearly says that "the station has been relocated" which is not true.

Incidentally, according to reports from various different media sources the high speed rail project has been shelved.

Thai PBS World for example, reported that it is no longer in government spending plans, as follows:

For the Bangkok-Surat Thani high-speed project, the government doubts that the project is economically viable, due to high investment costs and the short 600 kilometre route, which may not attract investors from the private sector. They noted that a conventional dual-track south-bound route is already under construction and will be operational in the next 3-4 years.

Archived