Travel fears: What worries Brits the most

webfact

Travel fears: What worries Brits the most

I'm surprised that terrorism and racism don't rank more highly

David Buckley

tra.jpg

The scene at Singapore Airport one of the best I have visited. I regarded the prices in the city as a rip-off, but I guess if you work there and have a commensurate salary, it's not so bad. More than a tenner for a pint is my recollection. Photo by Adrian Agawin from Pexels

With the Christmas holidays imminent, many people are preparing for festive breaks and summer escapes to far flung lands. But, one glance at the news is enough to fill anyone with “travel fears” as headlines range from ‘Christmas travel chaos for millions’ to ‘these five mistakes could blow your holiday travel budget.’

To find out what Brits believe are the biggest travel fears, airport transfers company Taxi2Airport.com surveyed 2,424 people. The research found that Brits are most fearful about the safety/cleanliness of accommodation when travelling abroad (13.9%), followed by the prospect of lost luggage (13.8%) and a misplaced passport or visa (13.7%). Facing disease/medical bills (13.5%) and a language barrier (12.9%) make the top five.

For 12.5% of people it’s the fear of flying or taking an unfamiliar mode of transport. While 12.1% worry about terrorism and 11.6% are fearful of natural disasters. More than 10% of Brits worry about sexual harassment when traveling far from home. Surprisingly, just 9.9% of people are fearful of lack of Wi-Fi or reception. Brits are least concerned by fears surrounding being homesick (7.9%), the exchange rate (6.9%) and racism (5.6%).

This is my “take” on the results.

First, I was slightly surprised that the following was not one of the 20 – fear of being ripped off. In three weeks’ time I’m headed off to one of my favourite spots, Thailand. A common scam there has been to demand money from tourists (sometimes with menaces) for allegedly “damaging” the jet-skis they have hired. The authorities want to clamp down on the practice, but I think their efforts are best described as ‘sketchy’. Not a major consideration for me. I can’t swim, so would never go on one.

Lost luggage can be a pain. Fortunately, I have never had my luggage lost (hope I’m not tempting fate), but one time I went to the Bahamas and, because the plane was so small (my then wife didn’t even want to get on it) there wasn’t room for all the luggage. The items joined us the following day but even one night without your luggage – our children were aged about 10 and eight at the time – was not to be recommended. So, I’m not surprised that this ranks highly on the list.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/travel-fears-what-worries-brits-the-most/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

the only time i had lost luggage was visiting my Dad in rural Tasmania (read, middle of bl-oody nowhere!). I had to borrow some of his underpants for several days til they found my luggage in Melbourne. No son should have to endure that! Taught me a lesson, now in my carry-on I carry a spare shirt, socks and a couple of underdaks.

Might have to go back on my meds to stop the nightmares again. ????

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

After soo many posts here, you would believe that fear of beeing denied entry would be one of the biggest. 

Very few genuine tourists would be following the trails and tribulations 'border hoppers' through these pages. So why should 'once a year' tourist be concerned?

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Very few genuine tourists would be following the trails and tribulations 'border hoppers' through these pages. So why should 'once a year' tourist be concerned?

I totally agree, and my post was more for al the complainers and scared abusers of visas in this forum. For them to, in a sarcastic way, understand that the problem isn´t as big as they try to make it. ???? 

"...Brits are most fearful about the safety/cleanliness of accommodation when travelling abroad (13.9%)..."

I wish, but doubt, someone or anyone in TAT might read this figure. And then do something. Major issues here in Thailand, though area of "transport in any form (including walking down the road)" is not category, maybe implied under accomodation...

6 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

the only time i had lost luggage was visiting my Dad in rural Tasmania (read, middle of bl-oody nowhere!). I had to borrow some of his underpants for several days til they found my luggage in Melbourne. No son should have to endure that! Taught me a lesson, now in my carry-on I carry a spare shirt, socks and a couple of underdaks.

Might have to go back on my meds to stop the nightmares again. ????

yeah, wearing your Dad's underwear is almost incestual lol..

If you have you passport and wallet almost everything else can be dealt with or potentially avoided

The respondents are not checking their Tickets, passports, and wallets, frequently, before departure!!? I do!! Not getting on your flight surely has to be the biggest concern.

Archived