Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

When the current monetary system collapses, the rich ones will be (in no particular order):

Who can grow their own food.
Who has access to energy.
Who has access to water.
Who has gold (and other special substances). Like tungsten carbide, Iridium, rhenium, neodymium, helium and others.)
Who bought into cryptos early.

Edited by owl sees all

38 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money.

There is 10,000 times more natural energy, than mankind requires at any time. If Spain was fully covered in solar cells, that would be enough to power the earth.

Personally, I think transport, needs to utilize the sun. Airships can carry massive loads, and be powered by solar cells. Trains can be directly powered by the sun. Cars, trucks, pick-ups, busses etc, can all be powered by natural energy.

We could use geothermal energy to power the whole world if there was enough money in it, but is not Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We could use geothermal energy to power the whole world if there was enough money in it, but is not Unfortunately. 

Wasn't this what Jeremy Corbyn was on about during the election campaign? Not in those exact words; but similar.

Edited by owl sees all
Rplaced ',' with ';'

35 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When the current monetary system collapses, the rich ones will be (in no particular order):

Who has access to water.
Who has gold (and other special substances). Like tungsten carbide, Iridium, rhenium, neodymium, helium and others.)

Who has the guns.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I seem to remember a geothermal outfit in South Australia that went bust due to technical difficulties.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you aware of the amount of rare earth material that goes into a smart phone, and how much pollution rare earth refining causes? Not for nothing do most nations refuse to process it.

People have become so obsessed with "computing power", that they disregard the destruction and misery that is caused by the making of the things. We don't NEED more computing power. They went to the moon with a computer having the power of a modern toaster, and slide rules. Perhaps humans need to consider the life of poor people before they think 5G is important so they can play games faster.

Humanity had a golden opportunity to advance the human condition between WW2 and the Vietnam war, and greed won, people lost. NB, there were no personal computers or mobile phones back then and we were better off for it as human beings. We had real friends, as opposed to fake ones on social media. Families talked to each other at meal times etc.

I'm well aware Lynas has had endless problems with its refining plant in Malaysia. And that's processing Mt. Weld ore at 15% RE content, not the Chinese ore at about 1-2%.

We would not be talking to one another without computers, so I'm inclined to discount we were better off on that score. I do agree in that I probably only use about 5% of my smartphone's capabilities.

Pollution can always be dealt with by good science and money. it's the bean counters in companies, with their focus on the bottom line, that strive for cheapskate solutions.

A case in point is the Lake Cowal gold mine near West Wyalong. Now operated by Barrick Gold. Formerly owned by Norths Ltd. Norths proposal was to allow cyanide at 50 mg/L in the process effluent to drain into Lake Cowal, a wildlife refuge.

Cyanide can be destroyed by chlorine or ozone, but that costs money.

I did write to each Norths director suggesting if they were so confident the effluent was harmless, they should each drink a wine glass of it at a public meeting. I never got a response, and was probably written of as a leftist pinko Commie, although it is ironic some of the worst polluters on the planet are found in Communist countries.

• Like 2

Owl Log: 15-12 2019: Sunday evening.

Quiet about the village; yesterday and today. Only one fire this morning. Temp' reads 16C. Definitely getting warmer.

+++++++++++

Mrs Owl went off to her special Buddha place again yesterday. Hope she threw the nails in luckily! Only 400 baht a pack. Have to put the money in a 'special box', where the monks can't touch it. Putting the money in the 'special box' is, of course, lucky in itself. These special trips seem to coincide with the 1st and 16th of the month. Although the wife says she hadn't noticed. Strange that!

+++++++++++

The new road that, in places,  is disappearing fast, now has a barrier in place. I'm waiting to hear of an accident; either someone hitting the barrier or the middle section falling through.

+++++++++++

Had an internet upgrade this afternoon. Mrs Owl said she would deal with the technician and was told that we now had "1gig". She wasn't sure what that actually was, but seemed confident enough. Much better than the 50meg that we already had; although never got better than 18m.

Tested the speed at 4pm, and going through Khon Kaen University, the readings were 26m up and 30m down. Maybe the 1gig has a contention ratio of 50 - 1. Or am I living in the past with this wireless stuff?

No footy last night. Liverpool v Watford. I'm sure True have blocked the footy services. When the tele is turned on a pop-up informs 'upgrade 36-10-23 is available'.

+++++++++++

Two village people came round the house to borrow money today. Everyone is suffering. Including a lot af farangs I reckon. After the UK election the pound/baht rate raced up to 40-9. Here we jolly well go thought I. Back to 40-4 in the evening of the 12th. (40-3 as of 19-00 this evening).

+++++++++++

Picked up cousin 'Wow's' bike from town yesterday. Only 180 baht, for a new chain, new pedals and a brake service. Mildred came in this afternoon to tell me to put his bike chain back on. No youngsters have bikes that are in decent condition; except when they are very new. Mildred seems to be the odd one out, as I am always checking, and fixing, the three bikes that she rides.

+++++++++++

The next village to us has 50 or so trees with plastic flowers; made from plastic bags. Must be for the New Year celebrations. Last year our village had paper flowers. They finished up all over the place.

+++++++++++

Been having hot showers for two days now. Lovely! Power has been on non-stop since Friday.

+++++++++++

Another poor little duck has died. Seven left now out of the original 15.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, owl sees all said:

Who has access to water.

You didn't include the military training necessary to protect what is yours from the parasites that will roam the country, taking what they want.

I am assuming a monetary collapse leads to chaos and the loss of the internet reduces cryptos to nothing.

BTW, I'm sure the really rich are well prepared for any contingency, with private armies etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Been having hot showers for two days now. Lovely! Power has been on non-stop since Friday.

I'd have thought you would have had solar water heating. Easy to make with plastic water pipe. The DIY sub forum will help.

Till I put an electric water heater in at the village it was a big pot over the gas burner. I don't have cold showers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Had an internet upgrade this afternoon. Mrs Owl said she would deal with the technician and was told that we now had "1gig". She wasn't sure what that actually was, but seemed confident enough. Much better than the 50meg that we already had; although never got better than 18m.

Tested the speed at 4pm, and going through Khon Kaen University, the readings were 26m up and 30m down. Maybe the 1gig has a contention ratio of 50 - 1. Or am I living in the past with this wireless stuff?

Do you have an ethernet cable in home? Hard line it from the router into your PC and try a speed test like that. 

That seems very slow for 1 gig speed, maybe wifi signal needs to be boosted. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:18 AM, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money.

There is 10,000 times more natural energy, than mankind requires at any time. If Spain was fully covered in solar cells, that would be enough to power the earth.

Personally, I think transport, needs to utilize the sun. Airships can carry massive loads, and be powered by solar cells. Trains can be directly powered by the sun. Cars, trucks, pick-ups, busses etc, can all be powered by natural energy.

May cover the current "Electricity-Needs". To cover the global overall "Energy-Needs" (excluding electricity), one would have to cover the entire Sahara-Desert with Solar-Panels.

Great employement opportunities for Sahara-Dwellers. Hordes of underemployed youngsters constantly keeeping the Solar-Panels free of sand/dust.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, swissie said:

May cover the current "Electricity-Needs". To cover the global overall "Energy-Needs" (excluding electricity), one would have to cover the entire Sahara-Desert with Solar-Panels.

Great employement opportunities for Sahara-Dwellers. Hordes of underemployed youngsters constantly keeeping the Solar-Panels free of sand/dust.

But then you have a distribution problem. Production would need to be less centralised until  the distribution technology advances.  . One suggestion is converting electricity to microwaves, beaming it up in space and then beaming it back to different locations to be converted back to electricity.

The Planet is awash in energy, so much so that it threatens our own existence, the problem is converting it to a usable form.

If we survive the petrochemical era, I am sure the technology to convert  the already abundant energy will be worked out.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, owl sees all said:

It's warming up now, and there's enough sun for warm afternoon showers. I've tried trickling the daytime water into a 120 litre holding tub, but not that warm by the evening; better than cold though. Mildred would much rather a warm water wash.

Here's a tip. Cover the tub with black plastic and leave in the sun.

I used a black covered big water bottle from 7 11 to heat enough water for a warm wash at end of day when staying on the beach in a hut with no water heating.

It's very easy to make a passive water heater with no working parts from a tank of some sort running water out the bottom through water pipes painted black and into the top. Has to be where the sun can get at it. Works by hot water rising. Just fill the tank start of day and will get hot over the day. Only works for water in the tank.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Can you talk more about the Voice of America site? Is this a black-ops/rendition prison? Or something else?

Only article I found was this:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/suspicion-over-thai-black-ops-site-20051106-gdmdzx.html

PM me for more info' please.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log: 18-12-2019; Wednesday morning.

Finally back to normal weather-wise. No fires, no overcoats, no big funny hats just T-shirts and shorts. The cold spell now a distant memory.

Recovered my camera on Monday. Keep it in the pick-up mostly, but Milly decided to do a bit of artistic snapping on Sunday afternoon, and didn't put it back. Hung it up at the farm. So a couple of pics on this log refer to Sunday's also.

And yesterday morning I had a call from Mildred at school; "Daddee! You can come pick me up? I hurt eye. Very hurt. Cannot open." Turned out that some older boy was waving a branch about in their play area and whacked her in the face. So, a journey to the school to pick up the little warrior. Luckily the eye is OK. Just a slight bruise.

+++++++++++

The plastic flowers are still on the trees. Passed by yesterday. Not yet found out what they are all about. Christmas; don't think so! New Year; could be. But maybe a new explanation has come to light. The local temple! Seems like they are about to have a celebration.

flowers.thumb.JPG.bdb8a0735290f4e23e29bea8c39abfa5.JPG

1128445588_flowers(2).thumb.JPG.e0b14df74dcc1f57e0e89e8e1eb6bfff.JPG

631497392_flowerstem.thumb.JPG.ed77cf6595caace318b4f713823ab7ce.JPG

+++++++++++

Talking of temples; the one in our village particularly. I was thinking about a month ago to give them a few of my mekongs. Just as well I didn't, 'cause they have drained the pond. Maybe they are are going to clear out the debris!? Anyway, a lucky escape for the mekongs. Although they are a respected fish, and could be protected (in places), that wouldn't stop them finishing up in the pot.

1268255971_vpond(2).thumb.JPG.326101edf1f638685785b44ebf587558.JPG

Don't know how they are going to refill it. Rain a long way off.

+++++++++++

Called to the post office on Monday to find out what has happened to my book from Amazon. Sixteen days now. Where can it be?

+++++++++++

Bit of a shock on Monday. I took some new pics of the hole in the road, with a new barrier, and I heard a sound coming from one. I got down close and called "who is there?", a head popped up; Jeremy Beadle!! Don't know why I thought of him!

1415898374_roadhole01.thumb.JPG.4a86b312d10a324c3a132a7a5a47fa00.JPG

218845338_roadhole(3).thumb.JPG.920f4beb453b3d692fdeef11395fd4cf.JPG

+++++++++++

No good fortune on the lottery again this time. Wife is grumpy; but will be back to her normal self in a week or so.

+++++++++++

The little lad (Poom) opposite us has just started school. Mildred and Poom get on well together. Poom has some of those coloured chickens that they seem to sell in virtually every general market. They are doing very well.

Milly-and-Poom.jpg.f70a5bf1dc0a8906f05430ee36bf416f.jpg

poom-chicks.jpg.275f8d37d00407e9c145390c3fa41953.jpg

poom-chicks-01.jpg.f46b588c05b3e6f1837bce2651bf832f.jpg

+++++++++++

A friend told me there has been a lot of activity at the 'Voice of America' (near Ban Dung, Udon Thani) compound recently. As many as a dozen choppers arrive and go in one night. Stayed quite near to the site before moving to where we are now, so it's of interest to me.

The site is huge. About 2200 rai (300+ hectares). The wife's brother worked there some years ago, in a construction capacity. Evidently there is a maze of underground chambers (well documented on the internet), and armed guard patrols. The Thais, that work there, are not allowed near certain areas. One of President Trump's new aids was the boss of these secret operations in Thailand for years. Fascinating stuff. I dare not risk a pic; unfortunately.

+++++++++++

The new router has been installed. Very fluctuating results. From 7 to 30mbps. Not yet done as suggested and wire straight into the box. Will try that though.

router.thumb.JPG.ed274eafb20cb3150b0d01930dfd9187.JPG

+++++++++++

A lot of pics this log. Bye y'all. 

Try to move the router a few feet away from that wall. From the picture that may help you somewhat as two thirds of the signal may be just hitting the walls.

Hard lining it into the pc will give you an accurate speed test as an ethernet cable will always be faster than wifi. If it's still well under what you are paying for you likely have a bottleneck somewhere which I can walk you through in a PM

• Like 1

It's interesting that the road (Bandung- Phen) widens considerably just before the VOA, as if to act as a runway if necessary.

I love Bandung, btw. A perfect size small town. Got a hospital, some restaurants, fresh day market and evening ready made food market. Yet it's small enough to be devoid of traffic jams and other city woes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

Try to move the router a few feet away from that wall. From the picture that may help you somewhat as two thirds of the signal may be just hitting the walls.

Hard lining it into the pc will give you an accurate speed test as an ethernet cable will always be faster than wifi. If it's still well under what you are paying for you likely have a bottleneck somewhere which I can walk you through in a PM

Thanks for that bro'. I have moved the router away fron the wall and the signal has improved a little. Got a speed of 32m (down) in the week. There are three of us on the system at times. I'll invetigate some more.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

Also what type of camera are you using? The pictures turn out Beautifully. Photography is something that I am hoping to start dabbling in because I see so many things on a daily basis that I feel warrent a photo of 

Very nice of you to say.

I'm no photographer. The Minolta dimage that i'm using has a dozen settings. I only use two; still (on automatic) and video. It has a x 40 zoom, and that's useful.

When I'm taking a shot I only really look at the light (sometimes I like to shoot into the sun a little but with the camera out of the sun; if that make sense). And I try to hold the camera very still; especially when on zoom.

Can't give any tips. Don't know any.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Haven't read Shaun's book, but I watch his podcasts on yt regularly. The Sonia Poulton one, was very interesting.

Enjoying your thread Mr Owl. ????

Shaun was a guest on the George Galloway MOATS a couple of weeks back. I think GG was shocked at Shaun's dialog; especially at the end, when he spoke about where the Epstein videos are.

Pleased you are enjoying thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:25 AM, swissie said:

Rural folks will be at an advantage in such a scenario. Food/Water still available. Not for long.
Former city-dwellers will roam the country-side, exchanging 1 kg of Gold for a bowl of rice at first. When they run out of Gold, they will pull their guns on the "Rural-folks".

Historically, local shortages of "life essentials" have always resulted in warfare and were never resolved at a negotiating table.

All a bit pessimistic? Not really. Imagine Bangkok (or any other major city) without Electrical Power for a week! It wouldent' take an "act of God" to accomplish this. A tetermined bunch of "Hackers" will sooner or later succeed.

Advanced age can be bliss. Global sociological/financial trends point towards a "volatile-future".
Before 1945 the world (Europe) was in a Hurricane. Since 1945 we have spent our lives in the Eye of the Hurricane (as known, the Eye of any Hurricane is calm, free of high winds). I am afraid that we are about to leave the calm Eye of the Hurricane just to be thrown to the still raging Hurricane outside of the calm Eye of the Hurricane, that we had the privilege to live in for the last 74 years.

Love the Diary of "owl". The daily trials and tribulations seem managable, as long as we remain in the calm of the Eye of the Hurricane.

I agree with some of what you said. Having land and the ability to grow food will be huge if and when things collapse. At a minimum I am expecting a monster correction to take place. But, people are sheep like. Most will stay in the big cities and suffer. Few will venture out into the provinces in search of rice or food. Some. But few. And when they do we will be ready for them. Ever seen First Blood?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you aware of the amount of rare earth material that goes into a smart phone, and how much pollution rare earth refining causes? Not for nothing do most nations refuse to process it.

People have become so obsessed with "computing power", that they disregard the destruction and misery that is caused by the making of the things. We don't NEED more computing power. They went to the moon with a computer having the power of a modern toaster, and slide rules. Perhaps humans need to consider the life of poor people before they think 5G is important so they can play games faster.

Humanity had a golden opportunity to advance the human condition between WW2 and the Vietnam war, and greed won, people lost. NB, there were no personal computers or mobile phones back then and we were better off for it as human beings. We had real friends, as opposed to fake ones on social media. Families talked to each other at meal times etc.

Believe me there are still many millions who know the difference between a like on Facebook and a real friend. My level of disdain for social media is high.

There are platforms like this one, which serve a real social function. But some of the others? Influencers? Gimme a break. Get your feet back on the ground. 

• Like 1