Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hey Mr Owl,how are your fly fishing skills?Have you had a go at it?I got into it a bit when I was working in the Canberra Theatre,we used to go up to Lake Eucumbene.

There's a good book about it:

Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Probably here:

Brought tears to my eyes that bluesofa. Not because of the actual add, but because I've had a similar experience. 

I wrote a book some years ago entitled "The physiological considerations of coaching national standard athletes." Quite boring really. It was all about energy pathways, including The Krebs Cycle and The Electron Transport chain.

Processed about 1500. Sold most of them and gave a few to friends. When my mum died a few years back my two copies were inadvertently destroyed, or simply chucked. Not to worry thought!. There must be plenty still knocking about. Not been able to find one yet. Although a friend who went to live in South Africa had one when I contacted him.

I've thought about re-wriring it but, I'd have to go back to Uni to understand it all again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hey Mr Owl,how are your fly fishing skills? Have you had a go at it? I got into it a bit when I was working in the Canberra Theatre, we used to go up to Lake Eucumbene.

Got to do a bit after Matt Hayes caught some carp on the fly some 25 years ago. So not too bad. It's all in the wrist action.

If I can recall he was casting a very light pellet into a pre-baited area. Gonna look it up now you have mentioned it.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There are many lovely areas in Essex. My favourite place is Hainault Forrest.

Is Hainault Farm nearby?

There used to be an old Royal Flying Corps aerodrome there where they would take off in their antiquated BE 2c's at night hunting for Zeppelins and Gotha's..God..what a scary job...

I think that Cecil Lewis or the other chap who won the VC  (Leefe-Robinson?)was stationed there.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Krebs Cycle

I met Sir Hans in around '75. He wandered into the clinical lab where I was working in Oxford. An odd experience, because for some reason, he was wearing pajama bottoms! He was doing animal work upstairs, but why the nightwear, I dunno. Nice enough chap, though.

Met Sir Roger too. Didn't like him one bit. Very lanky & 'up himself'.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

One of those useless pieces of information that we keep in our memory

I'm glad I've made your day!????

So....let me get this right-if you turned the painting upside down than the left bank would be in Essex and the right in Suffolk?

Is that what you are trying to say-have I nailed it?

Edited by Odysseus123

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I'm glad I've made your day!????

So....let me get this right-if you turned the painting upside down than the left bank would be in Essex and the right in Suffolk?

Is that what you are trying to say-have I nailed it?

Yes, exactly and the poor dog and horse wouldn’t know if they were coming or going .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ahhh..they are Spenglerians...

I read up about Constable's beautiful painting and discovered that the Brits were (originally) not very interested..it was rescued by Mons.Vol au Vent's countryman Theodore Gericault.

See..the EU has its uses.????

That and cheap wine !!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

. As will know towards the end Joan was sold by the Burgundians, and was later charged with counts of witchcraft. But what is not so well known is that at the

I thought that she was arrested for trespass after being caught fishing for carp in the Comte de Hainault's pond....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There are many lovely areas in Essex. My favourite place is Hainault Forrest. A lake was developed in 1911 to give unemployed east-enders some work. The small valley was dammed and an overflow installed. Everything done by hand; no machinery.

The source(s) of the stream that run into the lake is debated. But, I think there are two; Rose Well and another about 300 metres from the lake (both marked in black). The small weir is in red. The square is a small cafe/kiosk/restaurant, which has been there since about 1975. Also in the forest is a deer park and a sacred animal enclosure.

I had to check back on my notes.

Hainault lake was damned in 1910 (not 1911). And I got it wrong about Roe's Well. The source is Sheepwater spring - although it's only about 100 yards away - the other being Foxburrows.

1894487089_Sheepwaterpondearly.jpg.2d65c31ca3223307217c0d49b675fca0.jpg

Kadilo would be interested in this next snippet. John Dick (born in the next street to Alex Furgie, whose horse ran like a donkey yesterday), was a lover of the area.

That's him; middle right.

jdWHU2.jpg.b88221bb2fb073fa3b5b2ab4e4c9e190.jpg

89589752_jdJohnDickplaque.jpg.78858b650b034482f0912e4163c6e164.jpg

the-lake.jpg.fc76c789983f659fb83ff850f4d97ee6.jpg

Just lovely. I do miss Essex.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Is Hainault Farm nearby?

There used to be an old Royal Flying Corps aerodrome there where they would take off in their antiquated BE 2c's at night hunting for Zeppelins and Gotha's..God..what a scary job...

I think that Cecil Lewis or the other chap who won the VC  (Leefe-Robinson?)was stationed there.

Yes!

There is a farm at the forest. Some lovely and unusual animals.

Hornchurch airfield was heavily used during WW2. Also, for smaller craft; Fairlop and Abridge.

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How do you play chess?Ha Ha I mean what format do play a computer or play others on computer? I'll play!

Mostly I play chess with Mildred. But occasionally play on-line; although not for a couple of years*. Used to play email chess. One move a day. The problem with playing on the internet is that some opponents use engines. So unless it's a fair game one often loses when a win would be possible.

My Grandfather (on mother's side) taught me. He was very good and was ranked in the top UK 50 for many years. I've never been ranked on the points system, as I don't play in registered tournament's. I used to. Played for Ilford and Ford clubs. But I reckon I'm about 700ish.

* Play on-line Cribbage and Gin Rummy now. % wins on crib 47%. On gin 60%.

Edited by owl sees all

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Mostly I play chess with Mildred. But occasionally play on-line; although not for a couple of years*. Used to play email chess. One move a day. The problem with playing on the internet is that some opponents use engines. So unless it's a fair game one often loses when a win would be possible.

My Grandfather (on mother's side) taught me. He was very good and was ranked in the top UK 50 for many years. I've never been ranked on the points system, as I don't play in registered tournament's. I used to. Played for Ilford and Ford clubs. But I reckon I'm about 700ish.

* Play on-line Cribbage and Gin Rummy now. % wins on crib 47%. On gin 60%.

I haven't played for yonks so do I have to challenge like we did  for the "cup" (a coffee mug with a cat holding a balloon with "woppee" written on it) and the cup holder wasn't allowed to refuse a challenge?How do we get this to happen?chess.com?Let's do it!

• Like 1

I'll post some photos of the eucalyptus trees I cut down. Shame they'll grow again but then if they didn't, the owner would have let me fell them.

Owl, what bait does Mildred use to catch your pla nin? My brother-in-law uses a wide net but I'd like to have a go with a rod. 

Bit of a scorcher today.

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes!

There is a farm at the forest. Some lovely and unusual animals.

Hornchurch airfield was heavily used during WW2. Also, for smaller craft; Fairlop and Abridge.

Thanks for that Owl..

I have done a little digging and we are bang on for your area..

William Leefe Robinson VC.

Took off from Sutton's Farm (Hornchurch)  and destroyed Zeppelin SL 11 in the air on the night of 2/3 September,1916.Awarded the VC-his only navigational equipment (apart from the compass) was a small torch..to read the compass and look at the map..

Hainault Farm was another satellite aerodrome of Hornchurch.

Captain Robinson died of the Spanish 'flu, December 1918.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1