Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Can you please forward me the file "emails-pass-wills-usef". I will have a look at it and amend a few things, krub.

Btw, what's on nana pics and vids. 

Yes, I think you have it sussed about 'emails - passwords - wills - uferacts'. They are self-explanatory; although now obsolete.

But not so with Nan's pics and vids. I changed my mind about Thai's nocturnal pastimes after finding this folder on the old computer. A lot of innocent  schoolgirl stuff too.

I was gonna delete most of it; honest.

But Orbital was half a book's worth on 'Life in South Bucks,. And Worship was four (of seven) finished chapters of "Diary of a priest in rural England."

Gutted about those two.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Wet dream for me as well, sure.

As long as someone taped her mouth shut. I've seen video of her appalling attitude, once when boarding a flight from Heathrow she was extremely rude to cabin staff because she didn't get the first class seat she wanted. IIRC she was thrown off the plane.

I see you're posting subversive videos now - Millie outside without a mask. Holiday material?

Naomi wasn't a shy person. Spoke her mind to the point of being rude; as you say.

Point taken about taking pics of people without masks. I can recall the three people that were in the village wearing masks; at least while I was looking. One was an ice-cream seller. The other two were garbage collectors.

I'll be careful.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Naomi wasn't a shy person. Spoke her mind to the point of being rude; as you say.

Point taken about taking pics of people without masks. I can recall the three people that were in the village wearing masks; at least while I was looking. One was an ice-cream seller. The other two were garbage collectors.

I'll be careful.

Even driving in your car alone, incredibly I think you're supposed to wear a mask (as it's 'outside your home' according to the regs).

Problem now is that, even as the fine has so kindly been reduced from 6,000 to 1,000 Baht, it can create an opportunity for police to make some money out of it. Or is that just  my cynicism at work?

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Even driving in your car alone, incredibly I think you're supposed to wear a mask (as it's 'outside your home' according to the regs).

Problem now is that, even as the fine is has so kindly been reduced from 6,000 to 1,000 Baht, it can create an opportunity for police to make some money out of it. Or is that just  my cynicism at work?

My info' is that there are four things for sure that can exempt you outside. Maybe there are more?

01 - Drinking. A plastic cup of juice with a big straw. Or swigging a can of cola.

02 - Eating. I always keep a sausage in my pocket for this.

03 - Smoking. According to the lady doing the slippery massages.

04 - Exercising. Self explanatory; any physical activity really.

The local market started up again last evening. Masks about 50/50.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My info' is that there are four things for sure that can exempt you outside. Maybe there are more?

01 - Drinking. A plastic cup of juice with a big straw. Or swigging a can of cola.

02 - Eating. I always keep a sausage in my pocket for this.

03 - Smoking. According to the lady doing the slippery massages.

04 - Exercising. Self explanatory; any physical activity really.

The local market started up again last evening. Masks about 50/50.

I won't ask about the sausage in your pocket.

Out our way, absolutely everyone on the regular market wears a mask. No exceptions - other people will tell them to put one on or to go away.

04 - Exercising.

It seems that although the face mask regulation is nationally implemented, the exercise one is vague and set at local level.

Despite a senior government doctor last year stating publicly you must not wear a mask when exercising as it restricts the free flow of air into the lungs, and you need more air when running, cycling, etc.

(I'm not referring to our mate Big Nut - he's no doctor)

My interest is regarding cycling. if I ever get back on the bike after being side-swiped while in a wide motorbike lane by a car driver in the first car lane not paying attention. Caused me a fractured spine and broken coccyx (don't snigger boy).

• Like 2

Been meaning to ask about your bike, was it completely ruined or is it repairable? ????

I had a Trek - don't remember which one, about 25 years ago, cost around £800 if I remember correctly.

Loved the damn thing, but it got nicked & for some reason wasn't covered by insurance.????

It was nicked by some 'bagheads' (probably) outside of Bristol library. When I discovered it was gone, someone came up to me & said they'd seen some scrotes bashing the lock with a brick....! ????

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GarryP said:

When I was taken out, it was by a motorcycle passing far too close to me and its wing mirror caught under my arm and dragged me before I went <deleted> over tit. They pulled up just up the road, turned around, saw I was still alive and sped off. At the same time some stall holders at the side of the road were screaming at a pick-up to stop as it was turning out of a side soi and was going to run over me on the main road. I managed to scramble out of the way and tried to pull my bike with me but the pick up ran over the rear wheel before it stopped. Luckily I wasn't hurt like you, just cuts and bruises. Took the wheels off the bike and hopped in a taxi which dropped me off at the bike shop, where I left the bike for repairs. new wheel set and derailleur. 

The sod of it was that I had cycled from my home near Udomsuk to Sanam Luang, back along Petchburi road and was heading up Onut to the airport track. So I had been through the heavy traffic areas, only to be taken out on a much quieter road.

Hope everything works out with your back and you can get back in the saddle. I haven't been out on my bike for 5 years now (since I remarried). But will be out a lot when I retire upcountry in a couple of years.     

You were hit by a motorbike. I've had a few pass me - in both directions, but not really close.

Having said that, it's only one time too close that causes an accident.

Yeah, nearly getting run over by a pick-up too - the usual lack of spatial awareness.

At least it only ran over your wheel and not your leg.

It's Kalasin-ish, you're moving to isn't it, if IIRC?

That's 170km from me in Udon to Amphur Muang Kalasin. I've no idea if in a couple of years I'll still be able to cycle that far. See how it goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've started being hit with the 502 Bad Gateway again!

Well hit it back! Try another browser FFF.

Beautiful cat!

1396395932_FFFcat.png.cee3a8f4aa679c7f64904d00ac749dc3.png

Has it got a name?

57 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well hit it back! Try another browser FFF.

Beautiful cat!

1396395932_FFFcat.png.cee3a8f4aa679c7f64904d00ac749dc3.png

Has it got a name?

That Cat With No Name?This is the first cat that arrived with 2 kids and was featured in a photo I posted here asleep in a wok.Max and Lucy the 2 kids got names but this one gets called Mama Cat.She is one of the 6 survivors out of about 26 the litter has been decimated recently, I suspect by dogs.Lucy was my favourite from the start but is suspected to have drowned in the neighbours larger water jar when I we went to Udon to visit friends.Max is still around as is Twinkles the one who got caught in a rodent trap so I had to amputate 2 of her toes due to infection and since then has become somewhat attached to me and sleeps beside me as I post.We also lost the Government cow that had just had a calf so we gave the dead cow back to the Gov and kept the calf which is doing well.

19CE55B6-AB40-49D0-8678-F91DF9D0F3EB_1_105_c.jpeg.920e4cb4953994d8959de10554568fce.jpeg

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is also a virus doing the rounds in the bovine population at the moment and shows up in what looks a bit like ringworm I think they call it lumpy skin disease here.I saw one large red calf yesterday that was riddled with it.Some of our cows have a couple of these lumps, it's caused some alarm around the place.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

You were hit by a motorbike. I've had a few pass me - in both directions, but not really close.

Having said that, it's only one time too close that causes an accident.

Yeah, nearly getting run over by a pick-up too - the usual lack of spatial awareness.

At least it only ran over your wheel and not your leg.

It's Kalasin-ish, you're moving to isn't it, if IIRC?

That's 170km from me in Udon to Amphur Muang Kalasin. I've no idea if in a couple of years I'll still be able to cycle that far. See how it goes.

Yes, I am retiring to Kham Muang, Kalasin. 

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

There is also a virus doing the rounds in the bovine population at the moment and shows up in what looks a bit like ringworm I think they call it lumpy skin disease here. I saw one large red calf yesterday that was riddled with it.Some of our cows have a couple of these lumps, it's caused some alarm around the place.

Being a terrain disciple, I cast doubt on 'a virus doing the rounds'.

I would look closely at the water they drink and the food they are eating. If they are free to graze, take a look at the particular area, and see if there is anything you could put your finger on that might be causing them problems. Could it be that they are grazing in an area that has had a glyphosate dousing withing the last few years?.

This 'lumpy skin disease' makes me think that their bodies are trying to shed toxins. If I'm correct, the animals are picking up the poisons from somewhere or other.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Being a terrain disciple, I cast doubt on 'a virus doing the rounds'.

I would look closely at the water they drink and the food they are eating. If they are free to graze, take a look at the particular area, and see if there is anything you could put your finger on that might be causing them problems. Could it be that they are grazing in an area that has had a glyphosate dousing withing the last few years?.

This 'lumpy skin disease' makes me think that their bodies are trying to shed toxins. If I'm correct, the animals are picking up the poisons from somewhere or other.

It looks a lot like this Mr Owl.Apparently it's new.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-searches-for-cow-vaccine-for-lumpy-skin-disease

44 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Here are some pics I just took of Big Mama cow the others just have the odd spot.

CF7F193B-480F-4A6F-B368-36944D9BD998_1_105_c.jpeg

1FB626F7-CDA2-4571-AB47-2A9600F98597_1_105_c.jpeg

Thanks for that FFF.

This looks to me like blood poisoning. The tell-tale signs are the pustules in the lower extremes. The beast cannot shed these toxins in a more natural way*, and the pustules are toxins, chompted up bits of cell and cell tissue desperate to get out. These pustules could possibly erupt; don't know yet. And they are not the problem. They are the result of the problem; whatever that may be.

Could I ask some searching questions? Has the cow been given any sort of medication or injections in the last 3 months or so? Has the cow had an anti-tick wash? Is there any new additives to the food? New transmitter?  Is it possible to be the result of any electrical transmitting. A long shot that, but as 5G gets rolled out more and more, I'm sure it will effect some animals; but perhaps not in this way. 5G is more likely to cause extreme fatigue.

** Normal ways as in poo-poo, peeing. exhaling, sweating or even coughing and sneezing.

Edited by owl sees all