Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps they couldn't understand your Yorkshire accent.

I had a friend from 'up north' who moved way down south to Leicester.

I thought of him when I read about ordering beans on toast. He always said 'torst'.

He eventually migrated to the deep south - well Torquay anyway.

I did quite a few jobs in Devon, and learnt a few words:

grockles - tourists (although that seems to be used around the south-west quite a bit)

spuddlin' - bullsh!tting

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Worst UK entry ever (IMO). Not surprised that even our closest allies (usually Cyprus and Greece) couldn't throw us a bone.

Totally agree - God awful racket. Stopped it after a minute. I only let it run that long because I wanted to see more of the Mustang. My old '69 Mach 1 351 Cleveland looked better than that tarted up one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Am I the only one not bothered about the F1? Had a look to see if it had started up for this year, and found that a few teams were involved that I didn't know about. Aston Martin for one; and Alpine.

I started losing  interest when it became impossible to watch it on regular tv and had to seek internet alternatives.

Of course for the last few years it has been Hamilton winning virtually every race reminiscent of the Schumacher years ( incidentally Michaels son , Mick, is in his rookie year and making up the numbers as a back marker !! ) doesn’t make for interesting viewing unfortunately.

It hasn’t progressed much in the last few years, some new faces and the old guard ( Alonso, Vettel and Raikennan etc ) are maintaining their meagre pension by joining the “ also ran “ teams.

This season viewing figures have probably forced a different approach and for the first time in “ god knows how long “ Hamilton has a contender for the title, Verstappen at Red Bull is currently in the lead !!

I use the live commentary on the BBC News app to follow the “action “ of the race and qualifying, handy as can do other things at the same time but could probably get the race on YouTube on Monday morning if I forgot, although nowadays I am more interested in the result than the actual race .

Big call to drop the Monaco race as the faster cars have virtually eliminated any overtaking and, barring a couple of changes, the starting line up usually predicts the end result !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

notice 'Book Depository' are advertising on T Visa. I use BD and checked on my Richard Dawkins book's where-a-bouts earlier. It was dispatched on 7th of April. In the two years I've been with them; this is the slowest delivery by far. Usually takes about a month. This time six weeks

I've only ever used Amazon to order books in the UK as gifts for family.

Never ordered a book in Thailand, which company do you guys use / recommend?

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Got dark just after 5 this evening. Very heavy cloud. Gusts of wind. Flashes of lightning and almost enough rain to stop a game of cricket. Dear me! Following the same pattern as last year. Didn't someone at the Thai weather office say this was gonna be an exceptionally wet year?

I think the whole season has bee called off here Mr Owl due to the inclement weather which started with quite a good drop of about 2" night before last and again some light rain last night and another good drop this morning, before that it was at least 4 days of dry weather and lots of cricket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Totally agree - God awful racket. Stopped it after a minute. I only let it run that long because I wanted to see more of the Mustang. My old '69 Mach 1 351 Cleveland looked better than that tarted up one. 

Had a '70 Mach 1 with 428CJ when I was 16. Sold it for $1300. ahahaaa

On 5/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 21-05-2021 - Friday morning

Just relaxing in my spot near the window and got a lovely surprise.

634486728_hornetcarrycatapiller00.png.964a8092f44eea757c62ac7428dea33b.png

He flew over from somewhere and proceeded to inject the caterpillar. I had the camera at hand but couldn't snap the actual injecting. Although it seemed to be more of a spray. Perhaps the caterpillar was sprayed to immobilise it and stop it wriggling about. Anyway; off went the wasp, or hornet, into the great outdoors, carrying its prize. That's nature for ya. Sometimes vicious, sometimes devastating, often beautiful but never ugly.

1871054040_hornetcarrycatapiller01.png.58f088aeb0bb75a488e85b2554bc7f03.png

My new cutters arrived. They were marked up at 185 baht. I got them on a special offer; 104 baht, and that included delivery. No wonder many shops are struggling. What with covid and now the rapid growth of internet shopping!

1824887668_cutters01.png.f054017efd61c5484527e25b2ad38249.png

I was using my cutters yesterday and checked the brand and what a small world they're the same brand I'll post a pic when we get back from town as the misses has cancelled work due to ALL THE RAIN WE"VE BEEN HAVING!Doing my best to send some you way Mr Owl.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I've only ever used Amazon to order books in the UK as gifts for family.

Never ordered a book in Thailand, which company do you guys use / recommend?

I use Book Depository for kids books (Secret Seven, Swallows and Amazons, etc).

https://www.bookdepository.com/

Asia Books has a good selection.

https://www.asiabooks.com/foreign-books/children-s-books.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone ever read 'The Eagle of the Ninth' *by Rosemary Sutcliff which along with Roger Milton's 'Tell them in Sparta' kicked off my lifelong passion for history?

I was about 10 years old.

I picked up a copy of the 'Eagle of the Ninth' the other day for $3 in the children's literature section and smiled to see an old friend still going strong.

*They made a rather poor Hollywood movie out of the book..'The Eagle' starring Channing Tatum.

The Book Depository is the way to go as the Thai postal service tends to purloin Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Has anyone ever read 'The Eagle of the Ninth' *by Rosemary Sutcliff which along with Roger Milton's 'Tell them in Sparta' kicked off my lifelong passion for history?

I picked up a copy of the 'Eagle of the Ninth' the other day for $3 in the children's literature section and smiled to see an old friend still going strong.

*They made a rather poor Hollywood movie out of the book..'The Eagle' starring Channing Tatum.

The Book Depository is the way to go as the Thai postal service tends to purloin Amazon.

Think Horatio Hornblower kicked off my history interest.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Apparently it has been raining dogs and dogs in Kham Muang, Kalasin. My father in law has banned his wife from going out to the paddies when they plan to sow the rice. It seems that every time she goes it absolutely p!sses  it down.  He had to re-sow a couple of times already as the fields flooded. The only saving grace is that the pond is nearly full.    

They might have to resort to the old method of transplanting the rice by hand which if the paddies are flooded is the best way to keep the weeds at bay, but it's bloody hard work.

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Haven't heard of the book but I started off with Captain Moonlight.Later on I read Douglass Mawson's This Accursed Land, the best survival story I've read either fact or fiction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Enid Blyton. I read loads of her books - including ones for girls - back in the day when 1 or 2 visits to the local library was kids entertainment. Bought some to read to my lads when they were kids - weren't interested (probably not enough action or magic).

A book that captivated me when I was a kid, I remember it so well, was Stig of the Dump. Wanted to find my own Stig (Did that car driving programme nick that name for the mystery driver?).

Enid Blyton! My favourite author when I was a kid. The Famous Five, The Secret Seven.

Mr Galliano's Circus was good one-off of hers.

I remember going to the cinema on a Saturday morning when the Children's Film Foundation presented Five On A Treasure Island, the first of the Famous Five books.

I'd read the book already, but it didn't detract from enjoying the film.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Enid Blyton! My favourite author when I was a kid. The Famous Five, The Secret Seven.

Mr Galliano's Circus was good one-off of hers.

I remember going to the cinema on a Saturday morning when the Children's Film Foundation presented Five On A Treasure Island, the first of the Famous Five books.

I'd read the book already, but it didn't detract from enjoying the film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They might have to resort to the old method of transplanting the rice by hand which if the paddies are flooded is the best way to keep the weeds at bay, but it's bloody hard work.

They're too old for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

We used to go to Saturday morning pictures at the Regal I think, I can't remember if it was on North End Road in Fulham or a bit further up, a cinema full with hundreds of screaming kids, oh what joy 5555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

We used to go to Saturday morning pictures at the Regal I think, I can't remember if it was on North End Road in Fulham or a bit further up, a cinema full with hundreds of screaming kids, oh what joy 5555

Circa?