Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

52 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The quality of the photos have improved Mr Owl!

Thank you for the pleasant post.????

Thanks Ody.

Dumped the awful 'pix' programme and now using 'GIMP'.

I'm still learning about Linux. Got a clock on the screen now.

51 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Is that branch saw supposed to look like that? Looks like it needs a blue pill. 

Looking forward to tonight’s game. I hope Scotland find a way of making it through but still lose this evening. I’m glad I’m not currently at work surrounded by them, some can get a little over exuberant. I recall when England played Australia in the Rugby World Cup and there were cut outs of Wallabies posted all round the cinema room along with the odd Jock wearing an Australia shirt. Anyone but the English for a few of the challenged. 

For the first 50 or so encounters, Scotland were much the better.

Since WW11 we (us English) have raced ahead in the stats. But overall the Scots have won quite a few. I'm sure one of the footy posters would have the full data.

3-0 to the English.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, paddypower said:

Thanks. I asked at BIH, in Surat. They just gave me a phone number that did not work. I suspect it will be a long time 'if' . Caution forbids me from identifying which company the vaccines are routed through. But it does seem that Thailand is schizo on this. On the one hand the Tourist Board is pushing to open up the country. On the other hand, it is alleged that the PM's office has delayed imports and refused to allow private hospitals to import their own vaccine supplies. . .When I refer to  Schizophrenia - it is defined as is a serious mental disorder in which governments  interpret reality abnormally. It may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions, and extremely disordered thinking and behavior that impairs daily functioning, and can be disabling.  Who  does that remind you of?. 555

Well they are trying the trictatorial democracy method of madness so some schizoidal symptoms may arise.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just watched Mildred nearly chop her fingers might be best to place the left hand above the saw and adhere to the rule of never cutting towards a body part.

You are right FFF.

I'll speak sternly to her about safety. Just watch Dad I'll tell her.

I'm gonna get a a pair of extendable croppers. They will lop off 2.5 cm dia. That saw is useless.

Watched the two vid's again. I definitely need a video editing programme. I'll have a look on the WWW.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Looking forward to tonight’s game. I hope Scotland find a way of making it through but still lose this evening. I’m glad I’m not currently at work surrounded by them, some can get a little over exuberant.

Certainly before WW11 the Scots had a right to be exuberant. Since then not so much.

From first game back after WW11 until today (not counting tonight's win):

30 England wins

10  Draws

12  Scottish victories.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

For the first 50 or so encounters, Scotland were much the better.

Since WW11 we (us English) have raced ahead in the stats. But overall the Scots have won quite a few. I'm sure one of the footy posters would have the full data.

3-0 to the English.

Well done the Scots.

I've only read reports, but the number four team in the world didn't do themselves any justice.

• Like 1

I prefer the following open source apps for audio/video manipulation on Linux: FFmpeg is the classic command line app for converting audio and video. Some GUI based AV apps actually run on top of FFmpeg. VidCutter is a simple app for cutting and pasting AV. OpenShot is a fairly feature rich AV editor. Kdenlive is another decent AV editor. In general having more AV features means the app is more complicated to use. Sometimes it is easier to use simple apps for specific functions than an all-in-one app.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Quoting my own post of yesterday.

Just discovered today that Surin has a really nice public park with separate cycle and jogging lanes. No motor vehicles, no dogs, and definitely no buffalo. Just 20 minutes drive from the farm.

Typical of my luck, we have to head back home to Sattahip tomorrow. But we had a great couple of hours at the park this afternoon.

Some photos:

image.thumb.jpeg.96c64e88a210faf41370ba2b0dd3cfff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f2ac6dbce8da9e0898f6a17db8527574.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c48511c310b051445a811bf3778081c4.jpeg

That's a nice looking park there Legs and you even got an AT nod in there!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grin said:

I prefer the following open source apps for audio/video manipulation on Linux: FFmpeg is the classic command line app for converting audio and video. Some GUI based AV apps actually run on top of FFmpeg. VidCutter is a simple app for cutting and pasting AV. OpenShot is a fairly feature rich AV editor. Kdenlive is another decent AV editor. In general having more AV features means the app is more complicated to use. Sometimes it is easier to use simple apps for specific functions than an all-in-one app.

Thanks for that grin.

I just want a simple prog' that will let me cut out bits I don't want.

What do you suggest?

• Like 1

That road needs a WIRTGEN, cement spreader, grader and a flat drum roller!Oh and a water cart!Those euccas are going berserk Mr Owl it seems to be a good year for the farm,I notice the cassava on our farm is looking exceptionally healthy this year.We are also having a little dry spell as I copped a lung full of dust riding down to the shop yesterday it hasn't rained for about 18 hours here and today there isn't a cloud in the sky.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

"Mrs Owl. That section of road leading into Ban Dung is terrible." "OK for me. Farang just miss holes; easy."

Owl-I know that you often write in jest but-at the risk of being intrusive-does your wife often call you "farang"to your face?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course, I don't mind what she calls me. There are far worse things that I could be called. 'Oi you' comes to mind. And that word that no-one looks forward to being called; 'dead'.

Oi is the Thai word for sugar!Is being called dead worse than being called a deadsh!t?We apparently have a lot of those in Oz!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Because I'm one and it takes one to know one!

You just seem like a very angry fellow living in exile to me.

Now.. I quoted Mr Owl in his post and asked him if "farang" was a literal form of address-it seems that it is,so replied to and done and dusted.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You just seem like a very angry fellow living in exile to me.

Now.. I quoted Mr Owl in his post and asked him if "farang" was a literal form of address-it seems that it is,so replied to and done and dusted.

I think you may have misinterpreted my play on words there Ody I was just taking the puss!See that's the kiwi accent.Relax and don't take things too literally.I do have a warped and cryptic sense of humour so I'm sorry if you were offended by it, it wasn't intended to offend.

• Like 2