Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Well we need something. Perhaps if the farmers prayed to the rain-god more. Or drunk 10% more Lao Khow. Or get one of those meat and two veg things.  like in the pic.

Wasn't this year supposed to be an incredibly wet one? I'm sure some government department said that.

Yes, rainy season was forecast to start in May and it would be a particularly wet rainy season. But doesn't seem to be going that way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

You need one of those giant phalluses (or is it Phalli?)

Penis-statue-brings-rain-to-Thai-village

Did they put it in the middle of the road like this ?

Some kind of accident is going to happen ... at night ... crushed to death by a giant phallus ...?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

Well, we're only 10 km from Bandung near the road to Phen and we got a nice drenching the end of last week. Rained on and off for over 24 hrs, sometimes medium to heavy 

But I know what you mean Owl, our main pond should have been full a month ago 

If it's any consolation, the forecast is for rain from Wed/ Thurs onwards. 

IMG_20210704_123209.jpg

What is the rainy season? To my mind it's that period of time where there is consistent and heavy rains. This doesn't seem to be the case as yet. There are showers, but they are very patchy. Last week I went to Ban Dung and it was wet going in, nothing in the middle and wet the other side. meaning that you're either lucky or not.

When the rain season truly arrives, whole provinces get drenched at the same time. Last year was much the same as this, and then, a very wet August, before tailing off..

Keeping 'em x'ed..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannork said:

In other words monsoons. Weeks of constantly lower temperatures with clouds of various hues of black, grey and silver scudding across the sky. And at night the sky is constantly lit up with lightning, even if it is miles away. And frogs are croaking everywhere.

Bring it on mother nature, please  

For the first few years I was here I took a detailed note of the weather. I charted it, and everything seemed normal year upon year. There was the occasional upset. One year there was exceptionally heavy rain around New Year time, for about a week, and another year there was so little rain in early August that I drained out a pond.

left for England in 2015 and that was the end of my daily record keeping. When I came back - the week after the referendum - I couldn't be bothered to keep it going.

Considering where I actually am.

End of the wet season is generally October. Just very occasional showers then until the end of March. April and May; rain on about 4 days both months; but not necessarily heavy. June; traditionally the start of the wet season with 5/6 wet days; some heavy rain. July; the rain is coming for prolonged periods and heavy about 6/7 times a month. Into August, and it was, when I first arrived in Isaan, the second of the two heavy rain months; guaranteed to rain 7/8 times. September not dissimilar to August but not quite so heavy.

The monsoon season is the name given to the period of heaviest rain. Up here would be mid August until the end of September. Then a sharp tail off from the start of October.

The monsoon up here has definitely changed in 13 years. It was very heavy rain from mid-July til the start of September. 10 years ago; now it starts much later in mid-August.

Over the period of a year there has been a steady reduction of rainfall. From 1.2 metres in 2010  to a little over 750mm now.

The ground water-level up here is gradually dropping. It was at four metres; now at six. That of course depends upon specific areas. But that's the reading at the farm. We have four bore-holes and I check them every month or so, with a view to using solar powered deep-well pumps in the future.

One of the reasons for planting eucas was to eliminate the need for the season to be wet. Eucas are adaptable and can withstand a bit of drought.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Great pics FFF.

Yesterday I was absolutely soaking wet after working in the plantation for two hours. Called it a day around 18-30. When I stopped, during the next 10 minutes I drank a half litre water.

At home. later, Mrs Owl gave me a meal of rice and egg; topped with tommy sauce. An hour or so after I had mild heartburn/indigestion. After going to bed at 21-30 the heartburn got considerably worse. I was simply dehydrated. During the next hour I drank nearly two litres of water. The heartburn stopped (and has not returned). I didn't go to the loo until seven this morning.

Water is important for the digestive system and there just wasn't enough of it. Looking back, I think I lost a couple of litres; through sweating. Lesson learned; hopefully! Drink whilst working. Little and often.

1674638933_soaked00.png.079c7401d914d8852327a9d81d5daaca.png

1520578556_soaked01.png.25dd615088c887c2b420a4c4e0a31c63.png

A bit of rain in the night. Not heavy, and not for long. But we'll take anything that's going now.

Owl, you should take a kaditnam ประดิษฐ์น้ำ with 5 or 10 Baht's worth of ice inside every rime you head to the farm. The only way to work uno. I ease up about 4. 00 pm to build up a thirst for that delicious first cool beer at dusk 

IMG_20210706_153015.jpg

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that you guys up in Issan are getting some of the torrential rain we have had on the darkside of pattaya right now, it's been hissing it down for well over an hour and no sign of a let up just yet, fingers crossed for you all.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes mate we are getting some heavy rain at the moment, been raining heavy for 2 hours.

Still going here Colin, it could be in for the rest of the night mate according to my phones weather app.

• Like 2

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

Fingers crossed for you Owl 

Just had a butchers at the weekly forecast and it does point to rain this week. Especially on Thursday night.

What we need here is heavy rain a few times over the course of a week. My ponds are only half full.

• Like 2

Spelling error on the Thai ice bucket in the last post, should be กระติกน้ำ 

Onto the weather, got the steady drizzle again Owl but as you can see from this screenshot, we could be in for some serious stuff if that rain in Vietnam reaches us Screenshot_2021-07-07-17-40-49-379_com.lucky_apps.RainViewer.thumb.jpg.f8938d3348bd3a5f0a11a9b513ce7c2d.jpg

• Like 1

At 17-00 this evening it was so dark the lights were put on. It's 18-35 now and it's brightened up considerably. No rain though.

Hope you are right about that drizzle over Vietnam reaching us. We will see.

No farm today. Now I wish I'd gone. Feel guilty.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, owl sees all said:

There are lots of this type of electric cutter on the market. They range from 800 baht to 4000 baht. The one that CharlieH pointed to seems to be very good value for money.

I've ordered one from Lazada and it should be with me this week. I'll give it a good workout on the plantation and report back.

As they say; watch this space.

@owl sees all Don't worry about feedback for the mini chainsaw. I ordered one anyway which should be with me tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

The mini chainsaw arrived this morning while I was out riding the bike. Same model as @owl sees all bought, but has 2 batteries - cost 1105 baht (inc postage). The wrench/screwdriver are cheap & nasty (as they usually are when free with power tools). As you can see I've bust the screwdriver already. As already stated, it was easy to assemble - although there was a small issue with the bar. The gap where the chain fits in was a little narrow at one end, so the chain wouldn't sit properly. This was easily rectified by widening the gap a little. Thats probably where I bust the screwdriver. Tested it on a few logs 2-5 inches diameter and some coconut fronds. Seems to work OK. The big deal for me is no pi$$-farting about with lubricating oil. As OWL has already said, it can't be stored in the case with the blade attached, so for me it will remain permanently assembled outside the case.

All in all well it's worth the money IMHO.

Mini Chainsaw.jpg

I checked these little cutters a year or so ago. The bottom end was then over 1200 baht. Didn't look again until ChazH pointed this model out.

I do have a 16inch chain saw. Cost me 9k baht. Not used it for 5 years. My tool will not be used for heavy duty. Just fronds, as in the last Owl Log, and in the euca plantation.

• Like 1